Community
Search
Notices
General Racing Discussion Open discussion about racing and racing related topics

Exhaust System

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 11:49 PM
beast58

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust System

I'm new at racers and was wondering about the exhaust systems. I've seen some planes with just a header cut off right outside the cowl (hense, areo dymanics). Is this the norm? From my experience with auto fuel and exhaust systems the more and faster you get the exaust out of the way the more and faster the engine will naturally suck in (this also relates to more horse power and torque), with that said I assume the same with these engines. Correct me if I'm wrong! If there is no expansion chamber on the exhaust how do you pressurize the fuel tank? Or do you use a fuel pump? What are some good systems to use?
Old 06-07-2007, 04:27 AM
Ed Smith

Default RE: Exhaust System

AMA Rule book Pylon Racing requires a stock muffler. Most Regional/Club variations of the AMA rules also require a stock muffler or an expansion chamber muffler of some sort. In the aforementioned disciplines only muffler pressure is allowed.

Ed S
Old 06-07-2007, 06:15 AM
still4given

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some of the pylon racing rules allows no muffler on 4 stroke engines. Most likely the engines you saw were YS 4 strokes. They have a built in pressure system which doesn't use muffler pressure. ASFAIK, all 2 stroke engines need some type of back pressure to work properly.

Blessings, Terry
Old 06-07-2007, 06:44 AM
beast58

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. Keith