Community
Search
Notices
General Racing Discussion Open discussion about racing and racing related topics

A/B matrix at the NATS

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 05:41 PM
burgster
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/B matrix at the NATS

I saw this post on the NMPRA site and thought i would put a similar post here. The question was, did people like the a/b matrix with finals more than a single matrix. There also was a comment on why so many people left the nats early? Since I am one that left early I will answer that question first. I left early because I had a few zeros. My LS stopped running well after I broke the one good prop that I had, and I couldn't get it back. Since q-500's cost $1200 dollars and I had nothing to gain but to move from 40th to 35th, or what ever it may have been, I decided to pack up my parade and head home with two good planes. It also was Independence Day. My Wife, who lets me spend lots of money on toy airlplanes, loves to have a barbecue and watch fireworks. Since I had nothing to really gain except lose an airplane, I decided to get my buns home and hang out with my wife. Not only that, but I have my own business, and work doesn't get done when i am flying planes. I know that you should never give up and excuses are for the weak and incompitent, but there were alot of things that influenced my decision. I also wrecked my only q-40 that I brought and broke a rod in one of my two q-40 motors. With that said I am not rich and maybe I shouldn't be racing planes because of this, but I try to do the best that I can with what I have. I buy good stuff, but I don't have a lot of it. I am not sponsored by anyone so all the gear that I have I must look after , because I may not get anymore for awhile. So with that said i chose to bring my equipment home so it can fight another day. That may not be the best decsion for everyone, but it was the one that made sense to me.

I also like the a/b matrix better, because I seem to do better racing when there is less time between heats. I had to wait three hours between heats, because I went from the top of one to the bottom of another. That was pretty boring. Not to mention my caller has narcalepsy and it is hard to wake him up when he falls asleep. I had to pour beer in his mouth, kinda like spinach for pop-eye.

Jeff
Old 07-24-2007, 05:59 PM
garys

Default RE: A/B matrix at the NATS

Jeff,
You probably saw my post on the NMPRA forum. You reasoning makes sense. I think the scheduling and holiday had some influence, so to say they left just because they were out of it is probably incorrect. Work and life can definately get in the way, it's kept me from the Nats since 2003. I'd rather take the vacation time to go to two or three other races than one week in Muncie.
GS
Old 07-24-2007, 09:51 PM
Ed Smith

As for people going home early I would think it makes no diference which matrix is used. One is either out of the running in a single matrix or will not make the final in the split matrix.

Ed S
Old 07-25-2007, 08:52 AM
diggs_74

Well I couldn't have said it better myself Jeff.. I was in a very similar situation and made the same decision.. Even with wrecking an LS, midairing my Neme Q+ and all that, it was still a pretty good time..
Old 07-25-2007, 10:26 AM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't been to the NATS for several years, pretty much since they stopped having ALL of the events in a single week. While today's format may be better for the actual competition, a good part of what I enjoyed was being able to go visit many of the other formats - like indoor free flight, control line speed, etc.

I am not able to take off a whole month to watch all of this, but when it was all in a relatively condensed area over the span of one week, it was (to me) more fun. Now it seems like a week long local contest...

Old 07-25-2007, 11:15 AM
garys

Very true. The Nats is not what it used to be. While it sometimes was a pain having to be off the field by 12 so pattern can use the same site, it was nice to go spend the rest of the day visiting C/L speed, combat, ect. We even spent one afternoon watching indoor at the Lubbock Nats in '94.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:39 AM
fizzwater2

Yeah, the indoor microfilm planes are about as far from pylon as you can get... and it can be fascinating to watch them prepare, etc. I remember guys walking VERY slowly while holding models so they didn't break from the air currents.. no "ready, turn!" for them!
Old 07-25-2007, 01:27 PM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Steering an indoor model with a helium balloon at the end of 100 feet of string has to be seen to be believed.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:34 PM
fizzwater2

high plains - have you seen those new micro indoor RC planes? There's one out with a carbon fiber frame, looks to be covered with some film-type stuff (not quite as thin as microfilm), and the whole thing, radio & motor & battery included, weighs less than a penny, if I remember correctly.

that would be cool, too.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:43 PM
HighPlains

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Instead of the heavy radio systems made by the major players, check out light servos and all the other stuff at this site:

http://www.wes-technik.de/

A 3 gram RC airplane.
Old 07-25-2007, 04:10 PM
burgster

ORIGINAL: diggs_74

it was still a pretty good time..
Don't get me wrong I had a great time racing and partying, but i know when its time to pack it up and head for the hills. We both had dismal weeks at the NATS, although yours seems to have been worse than mine!
Old 07-25-2007, 04:26 PM
diggs_74

That's because while your Q40 was in one piece it would run for 10 or so laps.. Mine never ran for more that 7.. Actually, that was the last time it ran
Old 07-25-2007, 08:28 PM
burgster

7 outta 10 ain't bad for a white guy!

Old 07-26-2007, 08:45 AM
aseaholm

Jeff/Lee,

You guys didn't have to explain yourselves. When the fun meter is reading zero, it's time to pack it in. That post wasn't meant to be a witch hunt. Just a thought starter about the pros and cons of the two formats...
Old 07-26-2007, 10:42 AM
burgster

AJ
I know it wasn't, but people were saying "they couldn't believe that people were going home early". I just felt compelled to defend my decision. See you at Munice in September!

peace out,
Jeff
Old 07-26-2007, 10:51 AM
aseaholm

10-4...

Don't forget to bring your A game and Crawdad with you to Muncie.

Leave the Jager at home. [&o]
Old 07-26-2007, 11:48 AM
luv to race

I'm the one that was question why people would leave. I was just being honest that I couldn't believe that people would bolt early from the Nats. It seems like guys wait all year for the Nats to come around, so I was expressing my point of view from that angle. After reading Jeff's reasons, I can see and try to understand why a person would pack up early. I realize that people don't want to crash if they are out of it, I get that (I wouldn't want to crash either if I was way down in points). And nobody wants to lose a $500-$700 quickee... And maybe getting the heck out of boring Muncie to be back home with the wife... I guess I can understand that too. I was right there...I raced in the Worlds and left 2 days after...mostly cause I didn't want to even ask the wife to spend 2 weeks in Muncie with me.. wasn't going to happen...

But to spend all the money in travel, entry fees to AMA, and time away from family and work... I'd think guys would want to get the biggest bang for their buck? I guess it just depends mostly on the level of committment and/or fun that person is having at that time.

I'm just showing a different point a view, and I apologize if it sounded like I was passing judgement.. I have no ill feelings for someone leaving a contest early, that is why we live in this great country of freedom.

Randy Bridge
Old 07-26-2007, 01:35 PM
diggs_74

Actually, I had a great time even though I wrecked some equipment.. I know that's part of the game, it's a frustrating part but a part none the less. The other issue for us was staying at the field and not having a vehicle to get a way for a little bit.. Thanks again AJ for letting us borrow the Yukon Saturday night that was a nice change in scenery..

I'm still trying to get something lined up for the race in September.. It's going to be tight but I'll give it a whirl..