Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pylon Universe - RC Pylon Racing > General Racing Discussion
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Little Toni (What Engine)

Community
Search
Notices
General Racing Discussion Open discussion about racing and racing related topics

Great Planes Little Toni (What Engine)

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 06:32 PM
Vendata

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great Planes Little Toni (What Engine)

Come on you guys! I have a great planes little toni, what engine should I put in it.
I want to go fast with it, even thou this model is very stream line it would be a fast plane on its 0wn? Any way to those guys that have had one & still got it what do you recommend?
I read if you mount a 2 stroke in it you have to hack the cowl up a bit. But if a 4 stroke is mounted to it its not quite so bad in the cowling hacking?
If 2 stroke is recommended what size, If a 4 Stroke Is recommended what size,
& Is there anythink that needs to be altered, prior putting this model together.
Did get recommended to use a Dub Jet 90LX Engine?
Your Thoughts Would Be Great.
Thank's
Old 08-28-2007, 07:05 PM
masonman

Default RE: Great Planes Little Toni (What Engine)

I have a tower 75 on mine. Runs great other than haveinf to put some baffels in the cowl to get air over the head. If you use the bission muffler with the two stroke you don't have to cut much of the cowl away. Friend if mine has a saito 125 on his, he had to cut almost nothing with the saito. For me a model like this sounds great with a two stroke. The jett 90 would be mind numbing
Old 08-28-2007, 07:27 PM
Vendata

Ok Thanks For Your Input Hopefully I Will Get More Guys Comment's Before Slecting A Engine For This Little Toni.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:10 PM
Druce

I use a super tiger 90, the ringed version. It's cheap, lots of power, just like in the reviews here on rc universe.
Motor works great. I have the battery pack right up in the nose as far as I can get it so it balances the plane.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:32 PM
Vendata

Hi I have a Super Tiger Ringed 90, But I read that puting in a 2 stroke into the little toni that you have to hack the cowl up trying to fit the engine In? Did you use the standard muffler?
What do you think about installing a 91 4 stroke would it be fast? less hacking 0f the cowl I beleive?
Thanks.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:52 AM
Druce

you do have to cut the cowl a little bit at the bottom but nothing real noticable. RC universe has a review on this airplane, you should read it.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/product_gu...fm?kit_id=2911
Old 08-29-2007, 08:21 AM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Other than the ugly muffler, looks like the Super Tiger fits in there nicely.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64625.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	752419  
Old 08-29-2007, 12:33 PM
SSGSPEEDMAN

Put a Jett 1.20 on there... fly in the sky

Kevin
Old 08-29-2007, 04:58 PM
Vendata

Well now I'm really getting confused with engines, what say I was thinking about Installing A 0S FX 91 2 stroke, 0r a 0S 91 4 stroke Which one of these engines would be faster.
I think I would stay with 0S for there reliabilty. Your comments please Thanks.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:57 PM
masonman

The two stroke 91 would. The four stroke 91 has about the same power as a two stroke 61. Its a great motor lots of low rpm power
Old 08-29-2007, 07:19 PM
Vendata

So I would be better with the 0SFX 91 2 Stroke for power Than the 4 Stroke (Correct?)
Old 08-29-2007, 07:25 PM
Vendata

If I use A 91 0S FX 2 stroke, would I be better to use a pitts style muffler 0r use the standard muffler that comes with the engine. Dont want to hack the cowl up fitting in the muffler. If I use a pitts style muffler will I lose power than using the standard muffler that comes with the engine? Thanks.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:58 PM
Flyboy23e

I have an OS 91 FX 2 stroke in mine, and the aircraft flies at a very scale speed. It is also still very nimble as I have done loops, rolls, rolling circles, snaps, and knife edge flight. Vertical is very impressive. The only problem is if you use the stock muffler you will need to cut out some of the firewall. I used a pitts muffler on mine and it looks amazing!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84087.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	757924   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh20723.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	757925   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns44601.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	757926  
Old 09-07-2007, 08:36 AM
Efishensea
My Feedback: (15)

I am thinking of going with the OS 1.20 AX And a 13X13 APC or 14X12 APC Prop. Might need to put a servo or two in the tail.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:30 PM
Vendata

Hi there Flyboy 23e
Your plane looks very nice, did you change the standard colour scheme on your little toni, or are these a new colour scheme put out by Great Planes. Yes I am thinking about a 91fx engine in mind, do you think you loose any power by not using the standard muffler?
I read someone else has installed a 120 ax in his, I wonder if he still had to hack around with the cowl fitting on the muffler?
Like to know more about Fitting in the 120 ax, prior to purchasing a engine for the plane?
Thanks
Old 09-08-2007, 09:33 AM
Efishensea

OK, let’s think out of the box for one second here. Let’s say we mounted the OS 1.20 AX inverted with a Slim-line wrap around Pitt’s muffler, and a cline fuel regulator so the fuel won’t pour out the carburetor. Mounting the engine inverted wound eliminate the poor cooling characteristics that the cowl has, and give good access to the needle valve and fuel lines. Also, one would not have to hack the crap out of the cowl, except for the bottom . Only draw back I can see is extra parasite drag at high speeds. But I think that would be compensated by the increase in Horse Power. Just a thought!!!!
Old 09-08-2007, 07:52 PM
Vendata

Flyboy23e,
Did you mount your 91FX Inverted, If so do you have any trouble with it flooding, & what about starting? Your comment Thanks.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:47 AM
Flyboy23e

My motor is not mounted inverted, and with the .91 up front the airplane balanced perfectly. I think the 1.20 would be too much. I am also swinging a 15x6 APC prop, and as I said before the performance I feel is a perfect. And I did strip down and re-paint and cover my airplane.
Old 09-09-2007, 12:31 PM
Efishensea

There is little toni for sale right now on RCU, and it has a YS 1.40 in it. Do you want to go Very Fast or just have a sport plane????

Here's the Link >>>>>>>

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemid=320320
Old 09-09-2007, 11:28 PM
Vendata

The 0nly Trouble with using a YS 140 is that I will need to use 20 / 30 % Nitro.
With a 91 0S FX 2 Stroke probably only need to use 10% nitro.
HUM?????????????
Have to really think hard now what motor to install into the Little Toni?
Old 09-10-2007, 09:06 AM
Efishensea

$$$$$$ = Speed! Every Time! If you want to go fast, you have to PAY! The OS 1.20 is a good compromise between the YS 1.40 and the OS.91, for the size and the price. The 91FX will do the job if you prop it right, Like a 11X9 or maybe even a 10x10 this would give you a very good top end. A 15X6 prop that flyboy uses is more for 3D or sport type plane. But his Plane sure looks good!!! 1.20+ Engines Dont have the high RPM's needed for super speed but larger engines can turn 10 & 12 Pitched Props that will give you a really good top end as well. You make the choice, It's your Plane. But remember it is a Little Toni a Reno Racer!!!!
Old 09-10-2007, 08:54 PM
Vendata

Efishensea,
Thanks for the information on engine size for the Little Toni,
Still thinking thou? perhaps a 120 AX 0S engine, what prop to you sugguest if I go with the 120 AX? I will need to use a Bisson Pitts Muffler Ah? Would I lose any power by using the Bisson type
muffler as to the power box muffler. The weight difference between the 120 & the 91 FX is that the 120 is heavier by 97grams this of course without the muffler on?
Might make the plane tail heavy, Suppose I could put a Bigger battery pack towards the back of the fuse. Your Thoughts?
Thanks.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:17 PM
Efishensea

I am also considering using the OS 1.20 AX in mine. If go with this combo I think I will Start with a 14X10 for break in and, then hopefully work my way down to a 13x13. But you never know what you will end up with, every plane and engine combo is different. If the Plane is nose heavy, move the Battery as far back as you can. If still Nose heavy, you might want to install some of the servos in the tail. The muffler will depend on how you mount the engine. I might go inverted with a Header & a tuned pipe but, I still not sure, my Toni is still in the box. I have another Project on the bench that I must Finish Frist. By the way I was in Christchurch in 1988 when I went to Anartica.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:51 AM
Vendata

Efishensea,
Things here, would have changed since you were last here in 1988, what part of the USA do you live in?
I lived in the USA In 1985, In Florida (Delray Bench) Love it there, wether there was beauitfully warm. wish I never came back to New Zealand I suppose thats what happens when you end up getting married, & having a coulple of children. Any way I was thinking about mounting my engine on its side, & using a bisson pitts style muffler? Do you think I will lose any power by using a bisson style muffler, as to using the power box muffler that comes with the engine. Theres no way I could use the standard muffler, any way would have to hack the cowl & propably the fire wall? Not An option thou?
Thanks.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:08 AM
Efishensea

I beleave the only problem with some pitts style mufflers is they are very free flow and dont provide enough back pressure for the tank and fuel systems. Anything above a 15cc class nitro engine starts to demand a lot of fuel. So use large fuel lines. Large fuelers & Large Fittings in the Tank. Also, That is why I like to in stall the cline fuel regulator on my Large two stroke nitro engines. Crank case pressure is always better. Anyway, I live in San Clemente, Ca. -- Sounthern California -- Got a Beach here too!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.