Community
Search
Notices
General Racing Discussion Open discussion about racing and racing related topics

Duck antenna in racing conditions

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 01:36 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Duck antenna in racing conditions

I got my 3-pole cherry this weekend and was very distracted mentally with my antenna waving around while negotiating two and three. I got thinking about the duck antennas and how that would allow me to stay in my space much easier and allow me to focus on the plane only.

Please comment on good and bad experiences I had the card in my hand and decided to post this first. The thing only cost $25 and I'm not flying F1 or anything but I don't want issues.
I am using a 9C with no intention to go to 2.4 anytime soon.

Thanks
Old 10-16-2007, 01:46 PM
Super Splatter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Duck antenna in racing conditions

Buy the 2.4 module for 9C

I have old stuff myself and I when there's a 2.4 gig guy is next to me it's odd. I expect to have to duck when he spins around.

spread spectrum will change things here in Minnesota, we're talking about making the racing matrix based on placement.

Good racers, race good racers, no more channel hogging. Brave new world, bring it on Dogg. Or we can do the same old thing and race the same old matrix. yawn.. lets watch nascar..
Old 10-16-2007, 01:54 PM
vicman

I have way too many recievers in all kinds of planes to change to 2.4 right now. I am also quite satisfied with the performance I have right now. For $25 it looks like an easy thing to do.

I like NASCAR fwiw. I gave up driving full scale stock cars for a family and rc planes. Yep I am a boring guy.
Old 10-16-2007, 04:30 PM
DonStegall
My Feedback: (1)

Vic,

After using both the 2.4GHz short antenna and the regular antennas on the course, I understand why you want the shorter antenna. For $25 it is an easy thing to do. I've got to place an order with [link=http://www.nesail.com/index.php]Northeast Sailplane[/link] for hinge gap seal tape and I think I'll go ahead and get one or more for my 72 MHz radios. Unless someone knows of a reason to not use the RC Power Duck antennas.

You will get used to people around you while you fly with a little time. It takes some race or multi-plane practice. This is one area of the 3 pole challenge that long timers forget about when they compare 3 pole to 2 pole racing. It's almost like playing guitar on a small stage. The first few times your tuners get bumped while you're playing, it can really whack your groove.
Old 10-16-2007, 04:58 PM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used to use one on an Ace Micropro transmitter, or my Pro-line transmitter, and it was great for racing, didn't worry about whacking anyone or anything with your antenna.

A couple of races back I almost lost a plane on the way to one the first lap when someone elses caller ran right into my standard whip antenna. I'm thinking about getting a duck for my newer radios, too.

G
Old 10-16-2007, 05:07 PM
scausey
My Feedback: (2)

One thing to consider is that if your flying Q40 that would cost around $1500+, and it's traveling at 190mph, would you trust a $25 ant. that the mfg doesn't supply??? I would do a lot of testing and find the coverage that it would carry before racing with it. I have more of a problem with hitting my caller than anything else. I personally would not trust the duck flying my Q40...

S. Causey
NMPRA 20v
Old 10-17-2007, 07:41 AM
vicman

SC,
I am aware of how much a plane cost. Also the damage one can do with a high speed projectile. The request is for experience not for unsubstanitated speculation and critical thinking. For the reason of not wanting to lose a model or cause damage I am asking for guidance.
This wasn't posted in beginner or parkflyer threads for a reason.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:58 AM
HighPlains

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Rubber ducks have been used for many years. But before changing, you should consider the advantage of the long antenna. If you wack another pilot with it across the right ear, they generally blow their next turn.[8D]
Old 10-17-2007, 08:57 AM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: HighPlains

If you wack another pilot with it across the right ear, they generally blow their next turn.[8D]
Gives a whole new meaning to "duck" antenna...

Old 10-17-2007, 09:26 AM
vicman

It was crazy. I just got done saying how I was distracted with the antenna and other people around me. The guy hosting the race and coaching me says "Don't worry, you won't hit anyone we are all out of the way." The very next stinkin lap I come around 2&3 and whackkko I hit someone. While he felt bad about being in the way it blew my concentration again.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:55 AM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I raced 424, 428 for perhaps eight years mostly the southwest: Speedworld, Basin, Whittier Narrows and Las Vegas.

Now I have had to drop three pole racing due to my physical condition and not being as mobile in my wheelchair as I once was. So now I race six times a year in two pole RCPro warbird at Speedworld, Kingman Az. and Victorville, Ca.

After my first experiances in three pole at Las Vegas I went the Smiley duck route and never looked back. Not only have they proven just as effective but a far better option when using 72. Not only is there less distraction with an antenna in front of your face but a big advantage when playing dueling antennas.
Additionally they are a big advantages on the starting line when starting.

I now have converted all my current Tx's except one SS Tx to the smiley's, Seven Tx's with adapters and four antenna's. All but the pink one

John
Old 10-17-2007, 10:46 AM
vicman

Thanks John!
You and Fizz are the type experience I was hoping to read. I was thinking about getting the yellow one.[8D]

Next time you are out near Victorville you need to hook up with the SoCal chapter of the Revver Brotherhood at Rabbit Lake. They have a great time togeather.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:12 PM
luv to race

"Base loaded", "rubber ducky" antenna's should be OUTLAWED period. Too many scatter brained nut-balls out there that leave their radios on in the pits after their heat race... And shoot down their competitors.

THANK GOD FOR 2.4ghz.

R.Bridge
Old 10-17-2007, 12:36 PM
gunfighter

Too many scatter brained nut-balls out there that leave their radios on in the pits after their heat race... And shoot down their competitors.
What does that have to do with the antenna?

I used a "rubber ducky" for several years in R/C combat and never had any problems at all. Not racing, but a similar environment.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:03 PM
JohnBuckner

Randy yes the new technology is wonderful but I suspect 72 will be around for many years to come. Either type antenna can just as easily shoot down someone when careless but as a matter of fact in the case of the smiley its always wisked off with the BNC connector in seconds and tucked into the startline box after a heat Both types will emit about the same possibility for interferance with the ant collapsed or removed.

To blame the Smiley as soley responsible for the senario you mention seems a bit irrational. I have never ever done anything like suggested in that senario with either type antenna but the reality is it could happen with either type just as easily.

Randy I certainly do respect your opinion as you and your pop were very much role models before as well as when I first got into the wheelchair and due to the graciousness of folks like Jim Allen and Barry L. I was allowed to continue to race in the chair for a three more years And agine thinks to the fellow competitors who put up with me flying forward on the startline asphalt as I am sure it was a distraction. I still treasure my Vortex and fly it on occassion.

John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99612.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	784803  
Old 10-17-2007, 01:58 PM
garys

The safety problem with the rubber ducks has to do with those that don't remove them after their heat. If they do then turn on in the pits, they're transmitting at full power and can shoot down somebody else much easier than a collapsed conventional antenna.
Old 10-17-2007, 02:51 PM
gunfighter

That is what the transmitter impound is there for!!![X(]
Old 10-17-2007, 03:05 PM
Scorpion Racing

You use a transmitter impound at a race?
Old 10-17-2007, 03:07 PM
garys

Many races don't have enough workers to use an impound. Plus, who's to say the radio doesn't accidently get turned by whoever's runnin the impound? I once handed my radio to the impound person, and it was off. When I got it for my next heat, it had been turned on. I think he bumped the switch as he was getting the radio for me, as the battery had not been drained. Impounds can help, but they don't guarantee that there won't be issues. Also, I've never been to a race where they impounded during practice, which is when most shoot-downs seem to happen.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:08 PM
DonStegall

I'm getting a Duck antenna to use on at least one of my legacy radios because of getting used to a short antenna on 2.4GHz. I'm afraid I will forget to pull out the antenna on the 72MHz one of these days. I will take it off when I'm not flying and there will be more focus on the antenna.

This whole discussion about frequency control at races is interesting. I haven't seen it discussed many times over the past 6 years or so that I've been re-involved with racing. I've seen discussions about channel ganging, etc, but the control itself hasn't been much of a topic. I witnessed one Q-40 go out of control during practice in Municie in 2002 and there was no explanation. It was scary to watch.

I've been having to deal with it at demos at fly-ins. The frequency board guys get kind of freaked when I have to check out more than 1 radio. "We need the AMA cards for the pilots that are flying" has become the typical response.

This is one area where the 3 pole mystik messes with typical club operations. Because the 3 pole course is so far out from where the transmitter impound is, transmitters are often not impounded at least part of the time. For guys who have had it drilled into their head that pins must be obtained, it leads to some uneasiness.

Matthew has stopped flying as much as he was earlier in the year. He was doing great and raced on 7-14 with a fair amount of confidence. The following weekend or next, he was shot down while flying his Twist 3D by someone we were swapping the pin with. The guy flipped on his radio with the antenna down to run his engine dry just after Matthew took off. Right then and there we decided that all of our "important" airplanes would be on 2.4 ... I got another DX7 to have to sell or use. Matthew really hates to fly on 72 now and will get the new DX7 shortly if I don't sell it.

Maybe someone needs to write up a little frequency control protocol document for 3 pole practice and racing scenarios.

While I love the freedom 2.4 gives, I have also had at least two momentary lock-outs. One with a park flyer and one with a Club 40 plane with an AR7000. And there is no carbon fiber in a Club 40 plane. These were very short, but had I not stayed with it, I could have lost at least the glow plane.
Old 10-18-2007, 08:49 AM
vicman

I was kind of taken back by not having a freq board at your place to be honest. Even when I have been out in the desert with the Revvers we made a board of sorts to control frequency. All the T-6 and 1/2A events I have been to use the pin/card system.
If someone were to turn on even with the antenna unclipped while I was flying would be grounds for them to replace my model.

It sounds like the duck works fine and doesn't have range issues from what I am reading.

The main reason I don't want to change is that I simply love my 9C. I have the chip with 132 model memory and a 2500 mah battery and have not had a second of trouble with it. I also have about 10recievers all on the same channel and don't feel like returning to the day of carrying several transmitters to the field.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:41 AM
DonStegall

Vic,

Thanks for the openness and honesty. As you are finding out, I appreciate those qualities in people.

As Gary said, it is unusual to impound transmitters during 3 pole practice. And even during races, frequency control is often a product of the matrix.

Since we had all of the planes on the line, and everyone was in close proximity, trying to use a pin board on the line didn't seem necessary.

But maybe I need to make up a pin board so that people will feel better about frequency control.

I don't think it's likely that we are going to suddenly have a bunch of 3 pole courses in the NC/SC area. I think that 2 pole setups where using a pin board works will be more the order of the day.

Going off-topic for a moment.

I have had quite a few visitors to my field. Even though it is tight and you do have to fly reasonably close to the pylons, the biggest thing guys have trouble getting used to is flying around themselves. Some love it, but many just don't feel comfortable being in the middle of the action. It is so different than what they are used to, they just aren't thrilled about learning a whole new set of skills.

Because of this, I only carry 2 Ultra Portable Pylons in the truck. So far, I have had more success going out to clubs and setting up a 2 pole course.

Getting back on-topic.

As John mentioned, the short antennas are nice for 2 pole racing as well. But clashing antennas are much less of an issue on the 2 pole course with pilots at stations.
Old 10-18-2007, 01:19 PM
vicman

The first time I saw one of those antennas was back when I was flying combat and always thought they were just cool.
Since I have the chip and honkin big battery a little more Bling on my Tx doesn't bother me.

Maybe I should start a new thread "Pimp your Tx"[sm=bananahead.gif]

If I am ever going to truely Bigger Badder Meaner Faster I will need to learn how to fly around three poles and fly reeeeliee fast race planes. Bring the new skill set on!
Again Don, thanks for the coaching I got down there Saturday.
Old 10-18-2007, 03:30 PM
JohnBuckner

For whats its worth. When using the Smiley and I only speak of the Smiley as its the only base loaded type I have ever used except back in the days of the dinosaurs and single channel tone.

There is no range issues. The Smiley is instantly removeable for range checks and the ride back in on the trolly in three pole. The JR that was sold sometime in the past I don,t know anyhing about but i do remember one gentleman at speedworld who used one regularly in the major three pole events. It was not one provided by a model use supplier and it was 'not' removable. Perhaps this is the one garys was thinking of.

There are safety advantages over the telescoping type not only in the dueling antenna syndrome but more important to me in the startline procedure which should be obvious. This of course applies to sport flying in general. All seven of my current 72 units now are set up for its use. And have been used in a fairly wide variety of aircraft types beyond just racing.

Vic the same Smiley adapter fits both the Hitec and Futaba 9C . If you go for one they now have a choice of BNC connector or a screw in type. I would recommend only the BNC type as this has a lot of advantages over a screw in both in convenience and as you now seen, the need to get it off quickly in racing. Some have expressed concern over ware on the connector but my first ones are now about four years old and been in almost daily use since with no problem. As always never lift the tranny by the antenna as this can brake the plastic adaptor and just common sense.

I have fitted Smileys to Hitec Prism 7X's, Eclipse 7's and Futaba 9C.

John
Old 10-18-2007, 03:44 PM
vicman

Thanks John.
I just ordered a yellow one about 10 minutes before I read your post. It will also have the BNC quick disconnect.

The only thing to do to the 9C now is get a new bezel that isn't all cracked and peely. I just can't bear to be without it long enough to send it back to Futaba.

When I asked the lady if yellow said anything about me as a person she laughed and said I must be a romantic. Don't get any ideas!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.