Community
Search
Notices
General Racing Discussion Open discussion about racing and racing related topics

wing labels

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 10:22 AM
dwbebens

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wing labels

I need my memory refreshed about the colored wing labels used in AMA racing. Do you use the ULINE brand 5"x7" florescent rectangle labels, part number S-2769, in green and pink?

Doug Bebensee
Old 10-21-2007, 12:08 PM
DonStegall
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: wing labels

Doug,

Yes, that is the correct number.

If you need some and don't want to buy 1000 of each, I have 800 each of green, oink, and orange. You can get any qty you want at cost plus shipping.
Old 10-21-2007, 02:00 PM
gunfighter

Uhhh, I'm not familiar with the color "Oink"!! Could you elaborate?
Old 10-21-2007, 03:20 PM
DonStegall

Oink, oink ... You know ... Like a new born pig.

Seth, help me out bud.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:29 AM
dwbebens

Thanks Don.

It looks very promising that we'll be having Club 40 here in Nashville next year. I'll be the CD for these races, so I want to be ready.

Doug Bebensee
Old 10-22-2007, 08:06 AM
PJ_TankPilot

A lot of guys use lighter fluid or heat gun to remove them.

I was told last weekend that WD-40 works great. I have not tried it. If it does work, it is a lot easier to buy than lighter fluid.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:07 AM
StanDouglas

If you're going to do Club 40 DON'T use the Uline stickers! They'll work, but are very tough on ribbed wings and very hard to remove from the covering. The South Texas group has worked out a system using standard 11x8 colored paper and sticky shelf paper available at Target or Wallmart. You basically cut the shelf paper into 2" or 3" strips, connect two sheets of colored paper length wise with the shelf paper leaving about a 1" section of sticky paper open. Put the protective cover back on until ready to use. Also put a strip of the sticky on the two far 11" edges. What you have is two pieces of 8"x11" colored paper the will fold over the wing with the 1" sticky part on the leading edge. The other 11" edge will go towards the trailing edge , top and bottom, of the wing.

These have been tested at numerous Club 40 races and we have never had one come off or cause a problem. AND you can change wing ID's on the line when you re-matrix or run the Mains at the event end. I suspect that they will also work OK for 424, but we haven't tried them at 424 speeds yet.

These 8x11 panels are much easier to see and they are cheaper and supplies are easy to come by.

If you look at some of the Texas Club 40 group shots you'll see the wing ID's on the airplanes.

Maybe we can come up with a how-to with pictures. See Jim Duda's picture in his post on the Central Texas RCPro Champ Race in Austin in this forum.
[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6518832/tm.htm]Group photo with paper ID panels[/link]

Stan D.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:28 AM
DonStegall

Stan,

It is already documented at [link=http://www.rcpro.org/net/ThreadView.aspx?threadid=637]What we learned about identifying airplanes[/link]

I need to get a link on the RCPRO Club 40 page to this article.