Community
Search
Notices
General Racing Discussion Open discussion about racing and racing related topics

WM LA Racer, what engine?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 09:32 PM
The Toolman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WM LA Racer, what engine?

Can the la racer take a os 46ax or a tt 46 pro an not come apart?

What about prop size also? I'm just wondering how fast I can take this little plane without it flying apart.

Ronnie-The Toolman
Old 12-04-2007, 08:17 AM
DonStegall
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: WM LA Racer, what engine?

An O.S. 46 AX is a fine engine for the LA Racer 40 (or the Sky Raider Mach II). I have sold many and a lot of guys are using .46 engines on them. I know of at least one that had a JETT .50 on it with no problem. They are strong planes.

With an O.S. 46 AX try an APC 10x6 prop. You can go faster with a 9x7 or 10x7. You can also use an APC 12.25x3.75 Stunt prop and still go pretty fast but with amazing vertical and stunt performance.

The Thunder Tiger Pro 40 is a really good engine to use on the plane and you will be legal for Club 40. The TT Pro 40 is the official engine for AMA 424 Sport Quickie and it is best to get local racing going with this engine.

Welcome to the "Club".

Old 12-04-2007, 10:56 AM
gunfighter

Toolman - As Don said it is a strong plane. I know of at least 2 'raiders with an OS 55 AX on them! They are pretty fast but must be "beefed up" a little to handle this much power. i.e. reinforce the firewall and landing gear, tape the leading edge of the wing to prevent the covering from peeling up and add flying wires to the tail.

They are much more fun with a good 40 such as the TT Pro 40. The raider or racer will hover and knife edge with this engine. Mine will accelerate vertical from take off with the TT Pro and a 10x5 APC prop.

Take this combo and start a racing group in your area. All you need to do is get a couple of friends together and chase each other around the poles a few times and very soon, others will join you.

Whatever you put on it, it is a great little plane!
Old 12-04-2007, 12:44 PM
Jezmo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As said above, it is a great flying little airplane. Even it you don't race it, it flys really good. The TT 40Pro is very good engine too.
Old 12-04-2007, 07:38 PM
The Toolman

Guys, since all I have spare is the 46 ax an the 46tt pro I think I'll go with the 46ax since it is already broke in. I've been flying the la racer with a 46 la, an it flys good but just not very fast or powerful. I could take the os 55 ax off my profile for it, but I think I'll start out with the 46 ax for now and a (10x6 prop?)

I've also got a mach II that has a 46 evo (yuk) on it an it goes pretty good, but I think the la racer has a lot better an cleaner design to it for my way of thinking. By the way, do you fellas put the canopy on the machII or just leave it off to reduce drag on the plane.

I think once I get the la racer motored up good I can talk a coupla the other members into starting some sort of little racing night every week. No prizes, just see who can go the fastest with one of the 2 above planes an still be in 1 piece by the end of the evening. hehe

By the way, where is a good article on installing the flying wires on these planes at?

Ronnie-The Toolman
Old 12-05-2007, 06:36 AM
DonStegall

An APC 10x6 will be a good prop for the 46AX for good speed. An 11x4 will be better for stunts. But since you want to go fast, use the 10x6.

Flying wires on the tail are not needed for a 46AX. Going faster they might be needed. But I wouldn't worry about them in the speed range you will be in.

If you need pylons, go to [link=http://www.pylonworld.com/rc_pylon/course_equipment/course_equipment.htm]Course Equipment[/link] and check out the plans for the Ultra Portable Pylon.