Community
Search
Notices
General Racing Discussion Open discussion about racing and racing related topics

V TAIL ADVANTAGE?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 03:50 PM
RabC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V TAIL ADVANTAGE?

Sorry guys quite new to pylon.
I am designing my own racer and have checked out quite a few models,wondering if a vtail should or should not be applied,anybody know the pros n cons?
Old 01-12-2008, 04:39 PM
Bill Vargas
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: V TAIL ADVANTAGE?

Build one of each and you'll have your answer as to which works best for you Some will say V tails have more drag and visa versa while conventional tails have the better advantage or less than a V tail,,, they both work well and if you happen to lose a one of the V tail servos you can still land the plane

BV
Old 01-12-2008, 06:41 PM
RabC

Cheers for the help,like the still being able to land with a missing limb thing,ill work with the vtail for a while and see how it goes.
Old 01-12-2008, 07:44 PM
DonStegall
My Feedback: (1)

As much as I love Club 40 and conventional tail airplanes, I do believe the V-tail has aerodynamic advantages. At the minimum, it allows you to have all of the linkage internal. Then there are the drag intersections. Plus the V-tail is better in the turbulent air coming off the wing.

However, the V-tail is more work to get lined up properly and the radio programming is more difficult.

If you want the last nth degree of advantage, go with the V-tail. If you want the ease of configuration and building, go with a standard tail.
Old 01-13-2008, 02:20 PM
RabC

it's all about losing the drag so i think the v tail is the one plus they look the buisness,not sure how rudder and elevator are mixed,take it both up is up n vise versa for down,both swinging in the same direction for yaw,is that how it works yea?
Old 01-13-2008, 06:26 PM
RabC

Does anyone have pics of the vtail configuration,linkages and so on,and any special servos it's a 15 size racer(strong n small) futaba compatable cheers.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:44 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's not rocket science. One servo to each control surface. The trick happens in your transmitter's ability to do V-tail.
On my 1/2A plane I just made up a rod that splits off into two and again hooks to each control surface. I don't have rudder tho.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:09 PM
Yo! Team Green

Supertrc.com has some good pictures in the instructions for their Hurrikane.
Old 01-17-2008, 05:37 PM
RabC

just checked it dude defo not rocket science and im a bit more clued into vtail buisness,i take it there is no rudder with vtail action then,revert to steerable landing gear or just get it in the air pronto?
Old 01-17-2008, 05:39 PM
daven

You can get rudder by mixing each elevator half. One will go up, and the other down. You can achieve a pretty effective rudder using this type of mixing. Most Computer Radios have a v-tail mixing option to achieve this.
Old 01-24-2008, 04:46 PM
RabC

yea my radio can deal with that.
Found out the vtail cuts down on parasite drag also the t tail and vtail are way more efficient due to the fact they are situated away from the fuselage vortex.
cheers! guys for the great help the vtail is gonna be my choice for the wepon,just have to think about the rest of it now