Community
Search
Notices
General Racing Discussion Open discussion about racing and racing related topics

Glasses or Contacts?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2003, 01:45 AM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glasses or Contacts?

I have an eye appointment coming up, and I'm thinking about getting contacts.

Whats your preference if you wear perscription glasses or contacts while racing?

1. Contacts and non-prescription sun glasses, or.

2. Perscription Sun Glasses.

The perscription Sun Glasses I have, aren't the best. I'm starting to wonder if I would be better off just getting contacts, and then I can go with off the shelf sun-glasses at a much lesser cost
Old 04-14-2003, 04:29 AM
SSAN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glasses or Contacts?

Dave,

I wouldn't recommend either of them if you can have another choice. And that is... Lasik surgery.

When I started racing a couple years ago, my eye sight wasn't that good and I used to wear both eye glasses and contacts. Although they're both work fine, but not to my standard or preference. I decided another alternative, and that's when I got Lasik surgery done. Let me tell ya, Dave... It's wonderful! Just like my teen years of eye sight at 20/15.

But if you should choose to go with either of them, here are the pros and cons...

Glasses are good for long distance eye sight and it give you the natural feeling/breathing that your eyes need of oxygen for comfort. However, when see close up, it's a little weird in the vision if you know what I mean.

Contacts are good for all visions whether it's long distance or close up (under daily normal wear), but the down side are...

1. When wear for long period of time, you eyes tend to get tired and very dry and uncomfortable. It feel like you always needing constant eye drops to keep it wet to be comfortable. Some time that doesn't work until you take out the contacts so your eyes can breath.
2. It's susceptible to dust or debris in the air and can make you feel like you have allergy due to irritation.
3. If you look at an object (in this case plane) for a while without constant blinking, you vision goes blurry due to dryness.
4. It can come out while racing when you turn your head really fast (ask me how I know that...)
5. Maintenance is high and expensive, and you always have to bring a bottle of the solution cleaner with you just in case the contact's comes out unintentionally (ask me again how I know that...)

These are just some of the main things listed for your informed decision on which ways to choose. And what ever which way you choose... hope you can see at least 20/20 vision comfortably .

Good luck, Dave!
And see you again next race at the Winterfest 2004.