Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pylon Universe - RC Pylon Racing > General Racing Discussion
Reload this Page >

Pylon Racing Clinic or Seminar topics?

Community
Search
Notices
General Racing Discussion Open discussion about racing and racing related topics

Pylon Racing Clinic or Seminar topics?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 03:41 AM
rocket_jim

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pylon Racing Clinic or Seminar topics?

At an upcoming RCRC fly-in Saturday April 26 just before the first informal pylon race of our Blue Ray Electric Pylon racers, Douglas Bebensee graciously volunteered to give us a "chalk talk" and to demo various pylon racing principles in the air. He will answer questions pertaining to pylon racing in general and what he has learned about the BR. He will be covering a lot of things that experienced pylon pilots take for granted, but that a novice would not find at all obvious. Then we can race. He'll probably beat our posteriors!

Topics he said he may cover:

- trimming and control throws

- flying techniques to hone

- flying techniques to avoid

- attitudes and expectations

- winning strategies

- losing strategies

- relaxation techniques

Each of these topics might make a separate thread, and/or may already exist somewhere. As a novice, I'm looking forward very much to this talk and demo. Not to mention our first racing!

I just wanted to mention this clinic/seminar here in case anyone had anything to share that would help novices, but that they might never know to ask, much less to go research and practice on their own. And in case anyone has done something of a similar clinic/seminar and might want to share how that was done and how it turned out.

Thanks,
Jim Marconnet
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ro41571.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	935104  
Old 04-27-2008, 01:54 PM
rocket_jim

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Pylon Racing Clinic or Seminar topics?

Doug's Clinic was Great!

Afterwards we went outside and he did a short demo flight, covering what he had just explained to us.

Then we had our first ever Blue Ray Electric Pylon Racing heats. Surprisingly, there was no carnage in two sets of 2S 3-racer heats. Then still no carnage during several heats of 6 pilots all at once flying 3S packs! I guess we took to heart at least some of what Doug taught us. After the heat racing was over, one eager pilot managed to hit a pylon, totaling his plane. He broke one of Doug's Primary Rules of Pylon Racing, "Don't hit the pylons! Fly over and/or around them!" To Tony goes a special award. See attachment if I can accomplish that.

When we have our first NARCA pylon race May 10, if there is sufficient interest, we'll ask Doug to repeat his clinic.

Thanks, Doug!
Jim
Attached Images