Community
Search
Notices
General Racing Discussion Open discussion about racing and racing related topics

Michael Luvara

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2003, 03:39 PM
Mluvara
My Feedback: (10)

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Michael Luvara

Well, Don asked me to write an updated bio for the racer roster, so here goes.

My name is Michael Luvara and I reside in San Jose, CA. I’m 24 years old and have been building and flying R/C since the age of 7. My whole family is involved with the hobby, including my younger brother Chris, father Richard, and mother Pat. My dad got me started in the hobby like most in 1986 after taking a 5 year absence himself. In fact, you could say that we do all things as a family... In 1995, my dad (Rich), brother Chris and myself were all staged in the same heat together at a local race. I was leading, Chris in second, and Rich in third. On lap three, I collided with the start-finish pylon, destroying my P-51. Not to let things be outdone, my dad too collided with the start-finish pylon on lap 6. Talk about teamwork!

So, as you can see, I absolutely love racing and it is my primary interest in R/C. I also enjoy aerobatics and just everyday sport flying as it keeps my sticks in tune. As far as racing goes, I have competed in local warbird and sport races for the past 10+ years. In 1997, (after saving up for awhile!) I entered the giant scale racing circuit with an AT-6 and later went on to race more competitively in the Formula 1 class. In 2000, I set the world record for course time in the Formula 1 class of giant scale racing with a time of 87.79 seconds, or an average speed of 175.6mph on the closed course with a Gr-7. The record held for 9 months, and I backed off from racing for awhile in order to complete college because it became too big of a distraction. I reccently received a degree in Electrical Engineering at San Jose State University and now its time for me to get back to some serious competition again, including Q500 if time permits. I’ve also written for several R/C magazines, including Model Airplane News and R/C Modeler on giant scale racing.

I enjoy experimenting with things in the hobby and trying new ideas, including working with composites. This has led me to making molds for some aircraft (hence Tsunami threads in the scale racing forum) and designing airfoils, too. I just keep trying things till they work...Sometimes they do, sometimes they dont! I’ve had my share of boo-boos!

My career includes 4 years of work at Hewlett-Packard in an electromagnetic compatiblity laboratory, and more recently, some contract work on UAV’s. In 2003, I founded my own electronics/hobby company, based on an R/C telemetry system that a friend and I developed. I’m also the VP of our local club (SCCMAS) and enjoy giving back to the hobby since it has given me so much.

Anyways, I think that’s the jist of it... I’m always willing to help or answer questions for anyone, so feel free to email and ask.