Notices
General Racing Discussion Open discussion about racing and racing related topics

Nelson Engines

Old 05-15-2009, 04:12 PM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nelson Engines

Just pulled this off the performance specialties website. Don't know the details, but am very concerned. Anyone have any specifics, or how it pertains to "Commercially Available" at upcoming races??

Important Announcement

Effective immediately we will no longer be accepting orders for new Nelson engines. Engine replacement parts and glow plugs will continue to be available.

Thank You for your continued support.

Dave Shadel
Old 05-15-2009, 04:41 PM
daven

Default RE: Nelson Engines

Just checked the rules real quick, looks like that once an engine is legal, it is always legal, so existing motors should still be fine.

There are a couple exceptions, but it does not look like they apply to me.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:00 PM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wonder what's up with this?
Old 05-15-2009, 09:12 PM
garys

Read the NMPRA forum for further details.
Old 05-16-2009, 03:44 AM
BUDMAN27

Got to meet Henry Nelson many years ago at a combat event. To tell you the truth I idolize the man. He is like a god to me.Good luke in the future Mr. Nelson.
Old 05-16-2009, 09:25 AM
daven

Retirement- Cliffs Notes Version:

Production of complete N40 Q500 and N40 QM40 engines will stop this month. Spares will continue to be available.

The Complete Story:

Nearly2 years ago, it was announced that my associate Neil Lickfold and hisfamily would be leaving to return to New Zealand. The actual date wasstill to be determined. At that time I decided to buy a double-plusorder of N40 side exhaust crankcase castings, and those engines thenwould be the last production. As it happens, Neil is leaving in Juneand the crankcases are nearly gone. I have only a handful of enginesremaining.

Spare parts to keep existing engines running are inplentiful supply and I will continue to build parts as long as there isdemand. There are also parts available to convert short stroke enginesto long stroke.

I still have spare parts, and continue torebuild N15 diesels that I built 30 years ago. I think 30 years fromhere is unlikely, but no one should feel abandoned.

Production of glow plugs, N15 glow and diesel engines, rear exhaust 40 and 45 engines will remain unchanged.

Ihad 2 key employees leave suddenly in 2000 but I was lucky that Neilwas available to come, learn and make significant contributions.However, I am not starting that process again. It’s time to reduce theworkload to what I can handle myself. It’s kind of a return to how Istarted the business 35 years ago.

To all of you who have supported me these past years, THANK YOU.

Henry Nelson
Nelson Competition Engines
Old 05-16-2009, 07:45 PM
BUDMAN27

Guess it would be a good thing to hold on to what you got.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:24 AM
DMyer
My Feedback: (2)

So buy up all the available cases you can and all will be good for the forseeable future? Wonder what old Cases will go for in a few years on EBAY?
Old 05-18-2009, 07:36 AM
BarryReade

ORIGINAL: DMyer

So buy up all the available cases you can and all will be good for the forseeable future? Wonder what old Cases will go for in a few years on EBAY?
Quita a bit until someone steps up to the pump and makes a better motor. How long will that be??? Who knows but someone will, they always do.

Old 05-18-2009, 12:40 PM
still4given

I don't know about better, but Dub Jett makes a very fine engine that I bet we will be seeing more of. He may need to gear up now that his main competition is quitting.

Blessings, Terry
Old 05-18-2009, 06:32 PM
daven

I wouldn't be surprised to see someone step up and take over the cast cases.

We will see.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:11 PM
Left_Turn

Dave, what do you mean by "take over" the cast cases?
Old 05-19-2009, 12:11 AM
still4given

Are we assuming that when they say parts are still available that they will not be carrying cases?
Old 05-19-2009, 06:57 AM
daven

Yes, all parts will be available, at least for some time. The only part currently not available is the case.

When I said take over, I meant that hopefully someone else will produce the cases so they will be available.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:14 AM
fizzwater2

Dave, you could do it - and even leave the "N"on the side of the case!

Old 05-19-2009, 09:00 AM
still4given

I wonder if that means they won't have replacement cases for the older engines as well. Do you know if they made them as needed of do you think they had some stock? This is very strange. Surely someone will take it over. Other than Jetts, I can't think of any other engines that can compete in the Q40 and Q500 realm.

Blessings,Terry
Old 05-19-2009, 10:01 AM
DMyer
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: daven

I wouldn't be surprised to see someone step up and take over the cast cases.

We will see.

A number of years ago Greg Edmunds tried to produce a Quickie and Q40 motor to compete with the Nelson.... while he was ultimately unsuccessful, his engineering and workmanship wasvery high quality. Since he makes a living machining/producing stuff for other people - he certainlycan/could make a Nelson case if it could be made worth his while.Don't quiteknow how to get those two together however or if Henry/Gregwould even be interested.

Dan
Old 05-19-2009, 05:45 PM
BUDMAN27

I found 3 Nelson engines on Ebay right now. Two are bidding in the 200 dallor rang now and one for a bargin 100 dollars ,but there is still 3 days to go so there is no telling how high the bid will go up to. Personely I wouldn,t take less than 3 times the value for a new Nelson engine for one of mine.
Old 05-19-2009, 06:23 PM
daven

Budman, you back on the sauce

Old 05-19-2009, 07:51 PM
fizzwater2

I might take 3X on my two... Mostly we fly 424 around here anyway, and that would finance several new 2.4 receivers & a handful of TTpro 40's...
Old 05-19-2009, 08:42 PM
BUDMAN27

Old 05-19-2009, 10:08 PM
mdwpylonracer42h

Hello everyon,

The end of Nelsons is not the end of Pylon Racing.

Let me ask everyone, what is the difference in four QM 40 planes in a tight race placing 1:07 to 1:02? That is not far behind what we were at 10 years ago.

Would not this be an exciting race?

Now with the advent of the LS, times are below 1:00. Even the SS engines in the new QM40 closed off cowls, the time was less than a minute.

I ask, is this really neccessary to promote a good sport?

I think not.

QM40 and Q500 have gotten out of hand.

To be good and competitive, it takes at least $1500 invested in the airframe of a QM40 or Q500 with the best servos and receivers, and composite airplane. On top of that it takes several hours of going to some obscure place to practice these guys. Trust me, I know. Your common airfield at your club will not suffice unless everone else is into too..

To be competitive with an airframe, you are talking at least $1000. Add your time to get proficient, and it becomes a lot more.

When racing, you want to win. When racing one of the best, and you want to win that bad, be ready for a mid air and total loss. If you are not ready for a total loss of $1000 plus, then you need not race, because it will happen.

All this and many more are reasons I want to slow NMPRA down. I figure 150 mph for 428 and 175 mph for 422.

I welcome your comments.
Old 05-20-2009, 01:03 AM
Bill Vargas
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To be competetive is more than just a $1000.00 airframe,,, you forgot about entry fee, gas for the car and or rental, hotel, food, etc.

BV
Old 05-20-2009, 02:26 AM
freeair

dont forget there is a better race engine than just the nelson and jett engines.  Profi.   as used by the current f3D champs.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:20 AM
luv to race

Mdwpylonracer42h,

I like the thoughts, and most of us feel the pain as well. But read this comment written years ago, I always thought it was an interesting flip side to what you are saying about money.…. “ I’ve been trying to get Nascar to slow their stuff down so that I can run a Toyota Corolla, but they won’t listen to me. I know I’m right, it’s less money out of my pocket, so that must be the answer.…darn those guys. And where are all the $249.00 composite IMAC planes, I can’t find that website. And the $129.00 all carbon 3D heli. And the $214.99 kick butt 1/8 scale gas buggy.??? “

There is no one answer to helping the pylon community gain interest. It’s been hashed out on these forums for 12 years (as long as I’ve been racing). I do agree that there are many good ideas out there, but not one idea is going to satisfy all. So we will remain in our situation, and follow the path that is forced upon us. Which is what has happened for years, and these internet debates will never change that. Only action taking to the Contest Board will move things forward in a possibly path you choose.

You address the speed of the planes. I’m on train right with ya! The speeds of these planes are too much for the beginner to pick up and run with. The new guy will have to start in 424 and really work on the fundamentals of flying, not the fundamentals of the engine. I don’t see that happening. And that responsibility lies with the veterans. It’s up to us to help the new guy understand how to safely fly a pylon plane around the poles without crashing it, ultimately being a better pilot. When this instruction is not put in place, you end up with too many guys in over there head once they move up to 428. Also, slowing the planes down is harder than it seems. You have to come up with ideas to accomplish that, without forcing everyone to buy all new engines or planes. Because that would interfere with the first paragraph that addresses money. Big question is.. how do you make these changes without opening your wallet any more than we are today?

Perfect example of evolution and speed creep.. back in 97’, the 9mm venturi came out to slow down Q40, and it did.. for awhile. Then the engines evolved (as they will again) and we are going faster now than did the 11mm venturi engines. So whatever you start today will not be the same in 5 years, history tells us that.

We have a great group on the Contest Board. They represent the NMPRA (SIG), and communicate to AMA for us on rules. So if you want to change a rule, or even submit an idea of real meaning.. you can find those guys on the NMPRA site. Get the ball rolling. One can start a thread on here, sort of like this one. Collaborate an idea, and submit it to the Contest Board for review. (smaller engines, more stock engines, no nitro in the fuel, dollar limit on planes…whatever idea one has).

Cheers..

Randy

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.