Community
Search
Notices
General Racing Discussion Open discussion about racing and racing related topics

RCPRO Newsletter 5-27-2009

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 06:43 AM
DonStegall
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RCPRO Newsletter 5-27-2009

This is the RCPRO Email Newsletter I sent out on Wednesday. A number of RCPRO member email addresses have aged out. If you are an RCPRO member and did not get the newsletter, please send me your name and current email address.

Please respond to the Committee Chairment and let them know about your racing activities. I know there is a lot of sport racing going on out there and we need to get some rosters together.

The newsletter is also posted at [link=http://www.rcpro.org/html/newsletters/newsletters.htm]RCPRO Newsletters[/link]

RCPRO Newsletter 5-27-2009

Hello RCPRO Members,

It's been a long time since I did an email newsletter. A lot has happened over the past couple of years. One of the biggest is the establishment of the Club 40 Racing class. Club 40 is "spec" racing based on a couple of ARF airframes by The World Models. These airframes are the Sky Raider Mach II and the LA Racer 40. Clubs and groups all over the country have discovered how much fun it is to race these planes. Go to www.Club40Racing.com for the rules and allowed modifications.

As is the case with all organizations we have gained members and lost members. There are also changes to our Board of Directors and Committee leaders. These changes will be reflected on the RCPRO site in the near future.

Chuck Waller served as the Chairman of the RCPRO Club 40 Racing Committee from 2007 through 2008. He did a fine job and was largely responsible for getting a new course approved by the AMA for Club 40 and Quickie 25. It is contained in the AMA Document 540-B, also known as the Set-Back Distances For Sport Pylon Racing. ( see http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/540-B.pdf ) This 2 pole course has smaller setbacks and allows many more clubs to host pylon races without the need for waivers. And many more club officers are receptive to racing when presented with this document.

Chuck was too busy to serve in 2009 and a new chairman was needed. The new chairman of the RCPRO Club 40 Racing Committee is Ken Erickson. Ken has a long history with Club 40 racing as he was instrumental in getting started in Texas. He now lives in Indiana. His email address is [email protected] and he would like to hear from anybody who is racing in Club 40 and especially from Club 40 racing organizers. We want to put a list together of all Club 40 participants. Changes will be coming to the RCPRO forum software to help with this.

One thing we know is that there are a number of groups using the Sky Raider Mach II and/or LA Racer 40 with other engines and not calling it Club 40. Even if your group is using .46 or 4 stroke engines, please get in touch with Ken. We are working on ways to be inclusive of groups that are using slightly different formulas.

Quickie 25 has also taken off. Most groups are running Quickie 25, using the OS 25FX engine, in a slower version of AMA 424. The planes are under 100 mph and they can be flown easily on the 2 pole course in the 540-B document with the smaller setbacks. A new committee has been formed to act as the rules and organizational body for Quickie 25. Gene Hodges from Texas is the new Chairman of the RCPRO Quickie 25 Racing Committee. His email is [email protected] and he too would like to hear from anybody racing or promoting Quickie 25.

RCPRO Warbird Racing is well established in the Southwest. A number of groups around the country use the RCPRO rules as their base. Terry Yates is taking over as Chairman of the RCPRO Warbird Racing Committee. Terry lives in Victorville, California and is also starting up Club 40 racing in his area. Terry's email is [email protected] and he would like to hear from others around the country racing warbirds, even if you aren't using the RCPRO rules exactly as they are published.

R/C Pylon Racing is on an upswing. I have turned my hobby into a business and I am busy producing kits for Quickie 500 and Quarter 40 all the time now. I have a direct feel for what is going on as a result. Visit my web site at www.HouseOfPylon.com as I try to put stuff that is useful to anyone interested in pylon racing on my web site. I carry Club 40 planes as well as kits and tools and I'm expanding the product line all of the time. The Sky Raider Mach II and LA Racer 40 are now available in solid colors. See www.HouseOfPylon.com/Club40 for more information.

Have Fun Racing,

Don Stegall
704-225-3718
704-968-2881
Here is Ken Erickson's contribution to this installment of the newsletter:

When a few of us were looking to start a club racing project in San Antonio, TX, we wanted something that almost any club member could do and might want to do. We thought that a simple, not-fast racing activity might be accepted. When we found the Sky Raider Mach II, an aerobatic trainer, we knew we had the start of something. Most of our area fliers were intimidated by the speed of the Rulebook Events and frightened by three-pole racing. We decided to race back and forth, out in front of ourselves, as that is what people are used to.

We were lucky to get help from Don Stegall and Paul Herman on how to conduct a race.

Our field just barely met the AMA Safety Code requirement for .40 engines of 495 feet between pylons and people not racing at the time. Also, the "Entry Level" class for AMA racing used a .40 engine and we had in mind that our activity might be a lead-in for that ( 424 ) class.

In other parts of the country, there were similar racing events, some of which were using the same planes and engines. Probably because of our association with Don and Paul, our activity became "Club 40" ....

Since our first race, with 7 participants, Club 40, with some variations, is flown in many parts of the country. I believe the Sky Raider Mach II is absolutely the best plane for the dollar. It's prettier, higher priced sibling, the LA Racer 40, has also become popular. The winningest engine, the Thunder Tiger .40 Pro, is also the engine used in the 424 Rulebook Event.

Thanks to the efforts of Chuck Waller, with help from interested AMA officials, The new Setback distances make it possible for a lot more club fields to be used for this "Introduction to Pylon Racing Event". The Pylons can now be 275 feet from the spectators. (AMA document 540-B). He also traveled the state of Texas, promoting Club 40 and other pylon classes.

What is needed, in all classes of racing, are the persons willing to put on the races, the "Promoters". If you would be interested in a club or area level beginning racing activity, we are ready to assist you with information to help from the small start-up race to the big events with many pilots. There is a difference.

Excellent, inexpensive planes you can fly any day of the week, in a manner you are already used to, in a fun, relaxed racing activity. That is Club 40.

Ken Erickson
Old 05-29-2009, 07:26 AM
daven

Default RE: RCPRO Newsletter 5-27-2009

Just a small correction to this paragraph.

"Our field just barely met the AMA Safety Code requirement for .40engines of 495 feet between pylons and people not racing at the time.Also, the "Entry Level" class for AMA racing used a .40 engine and wehad in mind that our activity might be a lead-in for that ( 424 ) class."

The setbacks are 300 feet from the nearest pylon to pits AND spectators. The prior rule book setbacks were incorrect and fixed in the 2009 ama rules documents.
Old 05-29-2009, 08:02 AM
DonStegall

Dave,

What Ken is referring to is the 2 pole course diagram. The "A" distance is 330 feet. Spectators are supposed to be A + 1/2A back, thus 330 + 165 = 495'

This is why getting the 540-B document racing course was such a big deal. It lets us race slower planes on a much smaller area without waivers. See http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/540-B.pdf
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98727.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	1208230  
Old 05-29-2009, 12:02 PM
daven

Thats odd that the 2 pole requirement is longer than the 3 pole.

I'm sure that change would be supported by the contest board if someone submitted a rules proposal submission.

Old 05-29-2009, 03:41 PM
skull1971

BUT with the waiver the distance only has to be 275ft from the pylon line to the spectators, that is for "Sport" racing, (any sport plane with a time over distance of less than 100mph).
Old 05-29-2009, 04:11 PM
daven

Wouldn't it be nice to not have to apply for the waiver? We are flying 180+mph planes on a three pole course with 300' setbacks, no reason 2 pole couldn't be the same.
Old 05-29-2009, 04:28 PM
DonStegall

Dave,

Did I see that you are on the Contest Board now?

Yes, it is very nice not having to get a waiver for Club 40 on the 540-B course. I have had a lot of feedback from organizers who have had much better success with their club officers when they can present the 540-B document for Club 40 or Quickie 25.

It would be great to have a more reasonable course for AMA 424 on a 2 pole course that did not require a waiver. It would help pilots and clubs make the transition to full blown 424 on the 3 pole course.

It could even be something like a 140 mph 2 pole course. The 540-B 100 mph course started out somewhat from a proposal that was made for a set of 100 mph courses.

The guys running the [link=http://www.airborne-models.com/html/productdetails.asp?ProductID=46]T-34 Mentor - 40[/link] with .46 engines could really use an approved course.

But starting with a 2 pole course for AMA 424 would be a good first step.
Old 05-29-2009, 04:47 PM
daven

Yes I am on the contest board and would support a proposal shortening the setbacks, but someone has to submit the proposal.
Old 05-30-2009, 06:03 AM
DonStegall

Dave,

I will write the proposal and post it in the forums for discussion and comments prior to submitting it. I will call it the "2 Pole Sport Course".

I'm also going to write a proposal for Sportsman 46 or Sportsman 500. I have tried to figure out how to get Club 40 in the books without having a monopoly. And to deal with the issue of guys wanting to use .46 or four stroke engines and this is short summary of what I have come up with.

Sportsman 500 is an event specific formula that allows contest directors and groups to sport race a wide range of planes while keeping the speeds managable for sport fliers. Airframes are limited to those that have at least 500 square inches of wing area and a wing thickness of 12% within 3" of the tip. Engines are limited to stock sport style 2 stroke .46 displacement engines with expansion style mufflers, or non-super-charged four stroke engines up to .72 displacement. Organizers may select a single airframe, a selection of airframes, or a type of airframe. They may also select an engine or choice of engines. Racing is conducted on the 2 Pole Sport Course, the AMA 3 pole Short Course, or the AMA 3 pole Long Course.

This covers 80-90% of what most of the sport groups out there are doing. It allows Club 40 or Raider 46 to be run on the same course as AMA 424 and allows .46 powered Quickie 500 planes to play as well. There are groups flying Strega's with .46 engines that would fit. There are groups flying Sundowner 50's with TT Pro .46 engines that would fit. And the T-34's with the OS 46AX would fit as well.

I'm not advocating class proliferation. That is already happening. The main thing is to get the sport groups to follow the rulebook and sanction events. And to make sure they meet the safety code.