Community
Search
Notices
General Racing Discussion Open discussion about racing and racing related topics

Get yourself a test stand

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 07:45 AM
DonStegall
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Get yourself a test stand

One of my most important tools outside of the shop is my engine test stand. I have the PSP Mfg. [link=http://pspmfg.com/RCEngineTestStand.html]Engine Test Stand[/link] and I use it all of the time. In fact I now have restrictions on when I can use it. I found out my neighbors don't mind me flying on the field any time, but they don't like stationary whinning engines at dinner. So I limit test stand time to 10am to 5pm now.

I have my test stand on the [link=http://pspmfg.com/MountingPost.html]PSP Mounting Post[/link] and I have it in a 4" PVC sleeve so I can take it out if I need to.

You've seen pictures like the one attached with the traditional lug clamps. But the test stand makes a great base for other types of test stands. I have a JETT test stand that I can mount down to the plate by taking the lug risers off. I also have the [link=http://www.pspmfg.com/BackMountAdapterOriginal.html]Back Mount Adapter Original[/link]. I have it drilled for the 4 bolt Quickie mounts and the 3 bolt mounts used by the JETT Q-40 mounts.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53532.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	1226748   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12895.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	158.9 KB
ID:	1226749  
Old 06-29-2009, 07:50 AM
DonStegall

Default RE: Get yourself a test stand

Here is a Nelson Q-40 SS on a JETT mount ready to scream. I'm working on some composite Swee' Peas and I wanted to hear one run, so I set this up to run.

The nice this about this is that you are running the engine just the way it will be mounted in the airplane. I know that the front tie-downs help some, but this is closer to the way the engine is running in the plane. In my opinion.

Name:	Ay75574.jpg
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	1226754   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96948.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	1226755   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qw56423.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	1226756  
Old 06-29-2009, 07:56 AM
DonStegall

Here is a Thunder Tiger Pro 40 mounted on a JETT Q40 Sport mount. This mount allows Q-40 engines and TT Pro 40 engines to be swapped in Q-40 planes with no changes. While Scott Hartman is locking the barrel on his Q-40 Sport planes, you don't have to. Note the throttle linkage coming through the backplate mount.

Name:	Pn35910.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	149.0 KB
ID:	1226759   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98452.jpg
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	1226760   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez81802.jpg
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	1226761  
Old 06-29-2009, 08:01 AM
DonStegall

This is where the backplate mount adapter really shines. On Quickie mounts.

Instead of the engine being held by the crankcase, it is held by the backplate. Just like when it is on the plane. No flexing of the crankcase. No thermal dissipation through the lugs to the test stand.

And you can change engines with just 4 screws.

Name:	Qo39755.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	163.4 KB
ID:	1226762   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db86554.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	1226763   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50984.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	1226764  
Old 06-29-2009, 08:12 AM
BarryReade

Sounds great in theory but, have you tacked the engine on the same day within a few minutes with both mounts and see if there is any difference??. If the back plate mount produces more rpm then I will make one but, if not, why bother? not being a ***** but, that would be the scientific engineering way to validate the different mounts. I realize that the back plate mount evolved from a weight/balance of the airframe situation and could possibly let the engine case be free from distortion and make more rpm/power. IMWTK???
Old 06-29-2009, 08:35 AM
DonStegall

Barry,

I have not done that. However, I can tell you that I have run the same engine mounted both ways and it "feels" different when you have your hand on the test stand or the needle. The harmonics are different. So that tells me that the engines run differently depending on how they are mounted.

If I have a binch of Club 40 engines to run, I use the lug mounts. If I have Quickie engines to run, I use the backplate mount. The main thing about using the backplate mount is that you can run the engine with the backplate on it and not change anything from test run to mounting on the airplane. Some test stands require that you change the backplate. And just changing the backplate is something I don't like to do when an engine is fully tuned.

I'm not saying guys need the backplate mount. But they do need a test stand of some kind. I get asked questions about breaking in engines and I find a lot of people don't have test stands or access to one. I always offer access to mine to the local guys.

The PSP stand is nice. But it doesn't work for all engines because of the big clamps on the lugs. Some remote needle valves have to be relocated. But you can use the PSP base for mounting another stand like the JETT for maximum flexibility.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:08 AM
Ed Smith

I totally agree with Don. Get a test stand. For breaking in, testing engines, comparing props etc, etc a test stand is the only way to do it. My one test stand will accpt a small cox engine all the way up to a 1.20 four stroke. It has a support bracket for piped engines. It is totally portable.

Ed S

Name:	Rp43082.jpg
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	1226810   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm37271.jpg
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	1226811  
Old 06-29-2009, 09:45 AM
Randy Etken
My Feedback: (10)

If you are breaking in a high performance enginee, please use a Jett or Tetra bladder tank. The Sullivan tank that Don is using is not good constant fuel supply.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:59 AM
DonStegall

Randy,

Good point. This is my tank I usually use for the high performance engines.

But I have always wondered if it matters on the test stand as long as you don't let the fuel level get low. I do know that I don't like contaminants from the muffler getting into the fuel on the high-end engines. That's the main reason I use the bladder tank. I'm interested in opinions on this.

I like Ed's portable stand. I would like to have something to take to races with me when I start traveling very far.

Name:	Rp42915.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	1226832  
Old 06-29-2009, 10:13 AM
BarryReade

For the test stand this is what I used out in California.

You can pick up the metal saw horse at lowes for about $20. I used it to break in my PRO .61 Warbird engine and it was Fine. I did have a problem with the wooden mount I made as it was not flat and and when I tightened the motor down it torqued the case and when I ran it, it sheared off the two torqued bolt heads. So you always need to use a true flat surface to put your motor on. I am considering making some backplate mounts for my PRO .61 and other non std engines that are not readily available.
Old 06-29-2009, 02:24 PM
DonStegall

ORIGINAL: Ed Smith
My one test stand will accpt a small cox engine all the way up to a 1.20 four stroke.
Ed S
Ed,

What kind of mount is that? Are they still made?
Old 06-29-2009, 04:02 PM
BernieV

Ed's stand appears to be designed similar to the Tatone test stand.

The Tatone stands are still available. [link=http://www.mecoa.com/tatone/teststands/teststands.htm]Link To Mecoa Test Stand Page[/link]
Old 06-29-2009, 04:33 PM
daven

Randy, I beat you just about every weekend with motors broken in on a test stand with a big old 14 oz sullivan tank sitting on a pad of foam. Rarely run more than half through the engine at a time, foaming and fuel supply is not an issue.
Old 06-29-2009, 04:43 PM
Ed Smith

Ed's stand appears to be designed similar to the Tatone test stand
Bernie is correct. I made the stand and screwed the Tatone adjustable mount to it. Real easy.

Ed S
Old 06-29-2009, 07:14 PM
DonStegall

ORIGINAL: BernieV

Ed's stand appears to be designed similar to the Tatone test stand.

The Tatone stands are still available. [link=http://www.mecoa.com/tatone/teststands/teststands.htm]Link To Mecoa Test Stand Page[/link]
Bernie,

Thanks a lot for the link. I already ordered the .049 to .80 size at $24 + $5 S&H. And I got quantity pricing so I can possibly carry them on my site.

I will make myself a portable stand similar to Ed's. I'll have to check out the sawhorse deal that Barry used. Might be an easy solution. I'm going to start playing with more tuned pipes for www.rcwarbirdracing.com and I was wondering what to do about a pipe support. I could add a pipe support to my PSP stand, but I put a 5 gallon bucket over the stand to keep the bird crap off of it.

Name:	Jh16287.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	1227052  
Old 06-29-2009, 07:58 PM
DonStegall

ORIGINAL: daven

Randy, I beat you just about every weekend with motors broken in on a test stand with a big old 14 oz sullivan tank sitting on a pad of foam. Rarely run more than half through the engine at a time, foaming and fuel supply is not an issue.
Originally I used a bladder tank on the PSP stand all of the time because I thought foaming would be an issue. Then one day I assembled the tank that came with it and tried it with a 4 stroke and had no problems. So I tried it with the 2 strokes and still had no problems. There is no foaming whatsoever. I guess it is because the tank is on a pedestal and the tank is a snug fit in the bracket. The only problem is that the tank is small when you are running something like a SAITO 180. I see they have a big tank option now.

One of my problems has been that I only have one test stand. When I'm breaking in a bunch of engines it eats up the time. Now that I see Ed's stand and Bernie provided the link for the Tatone, I may set up several portable stands.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:17 PM
BarryReade

The nice thing about this one is it folds up for transportation
Old 06-29-2009, 08:23 PM
DonStegall

I already have the part looked up on ww.HomeDepot.com and I'm going to get one ... http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...ctId=100003259

I will probably call MECOA and change my order to 2 of the Tatone stands so I can put one on each end of the sawhorse on a 2x6.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:54 PM
j.gibson

Boy, those mounts look really nice, but I just clamp 'em up
in my big 'ol vise at the shop. The trick is to "squeeze" the
crankcase till the bearings get good and tight, then back off
till they loosen up just a "bit".

...............what?...............

Old 06-29-2009, 09:39 PM
daven

Nothing fancy here, made this out of some 10 ply aircraft ply, a 2x6" and a base of 3/8" ply with doublers on the corners and lots of gorilla glue. I have the pilot drill incorporated as well as the screw driver head and the 4 - 1 1/2" mounting screws.

I mount it to the corner of one of our field tables with the four screws.

Its nice to have two engines ready to test, can run one, while the other is cooling.

Name:	Vt58526.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	1227135   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id95589.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	1227136  
Old 06-29-2009, 10:16 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dave,
Are you breaking in TTs for your freinds these days?
Old 06-30-2009, 07:03 AM
Ed Smith

One of my problems has been that I only have one test stand. When I'm breaking in a bunch of engines it eats up the time. Now that I see Ed's stand and Bernie provided the link for the Tatone, I may set up several portable stands.
Wow! you must realy hate the neighbours!

Ed S
Old 06-30-2009, 07:41 AM
daven

Vic,

Bought that to play with the Wisconisin guys in Hilbert a couple years ago.

Midaired on my second heat and its been sitting in oil ever since. Has about 10 total tanks of fuel through it, never turned a 9x6 over 17k. Just needed a "model" for the stand
Old 06-30-2009, 07:50 AM
still4given

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like the exhaust from the Q40 is gunna make a mess of the TT muffler. Is it an illusion or does it dump directly onto the muffler?
Old 06-30-2009, 07:56 AM
DonStegall

I like your stand Dave.

It shows that people can put something together for not a lot of money if they want to and have something that will get the job done.

This is Dub Jett's comment on his web site "Ever wonder how some of the guys always have a really good running engines? They have a test stand and don't have to fool with getting their engine in and out the airplane. Also, you get bad and inconsistent data using your airplane." ... From http://jettengineering.com/accy/testmount.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.