Notices
General Racing Discussion Open discussion about racing and racing related topics

Flying Below the Pylons

Old 07-18-2009, 08:36 AM
ALbert.S

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Flying Below the Pylons

The rule was written when we had judges sitting under or next to the pylons. REMEMBER the cages They are rusting away over in the woods. We have increased the distance to the pits ETC. I think the rule could be changed Let the hotshots fly below the pylons on number one only I don't think flying low around 2 & 3 is a good idea since some pilots like to stand close to these pylons when they fly
Old 07-18-2009, 12:18 PM
MFLOOD3800
My Feedback: (51)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Flying Below the Pylons

Just lower the poles to 5' and be done with it. Let the racing race where ever the contestant is comfy.

I would really like to fly as low as possible with no obstructions, including those rotten poles. [:@]
If some like it high, why not allow the others who like it low to be content.

Now that the judges are 300' off the course, let us race any where in the air, even if it is only 5'.
Air is air.

Remember this for 2 pole only we are talking about.

Just lower the pylon height and be done with it.
If you have a lot of ground cover rising up to 10' then make the poles 15'.
If you have no ground cover rising up then just make the poles 5'.
If there is 20' of growth then make the poles 25'.

Makes easy sense to me.
The rule was for safety, and we have added better "Safety" rules with the new set backs, lets stay current with the rest of it.
Let the Race Promoter set the 2POLE COURSE height based on his/her course obstructions and rewrite the rules to read "stay at or above the pylon height".

I have seen mid airs, pole hits, wire hits, too much elev and snaps, pilots flying close and flying the other guys plane thru a turn, too much input to avoid a close proximity, and just plain servo and rx or switch failure all come into play. Racing is a dangerous sport, thats why spectators come out. I can not see how mandating a 20' pole height and requiring a racer to stay above it is needed any more. If the set backs are there and of good and safe distance then the safety issue is acquired, so let me race where ever I feel safest and fastest. Be it 10', 20', 30' or 300'.

Old rules were for old race courses and as they mature so should the rules.

All good points, problem is human nature is not prone to change, and few in positions of leadership really want to be the ones who are responsible for change. SO the beat goes on, with only subtle changes made until the desired changes are finally met.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22375.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	10.2 KB
ID:	1239046