Community
Search
Notices
General Racing Discussion Open discussion about racing and racing related topics

Drinking and flying

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 06:44 PM
jairoblaster
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drinking and flying

I wanted to post on the first one but some one fancys them self the morality monitor, as if we are all not big boys and girls. Any way I've got to say that if we can't control our self's at the feild than that says more about us as people than it says about the club or the AMA. What you guys need to realize is that you need to surround your self with good people and not duche bags, and you won't have to worry about what your members do because you know they are doing the right thing. Now this being said we changed our rules 2 years ago to reflect what we were doing at our feild. AMA says you will not drink 8 hours before flying our club charter said no alcohol period, yet there we were poping a top on saterdays. So we changed our charter to reflect the AMA rules exactly no more no less. This became a huge deal and a point of hot debate we lost some members and gained some but in the end it was the right thing to do. This being said one of the things that was brought up was where do you draw the line. Example I know that you know some one at your feild on strong mind altering prescription meds , do we need a list of what everyone is on and a doctors note to fly. Ofcorse not however most of those aginst drinking are older and religious and on meds. So when the actual AMA rule was brought to light they shut there mouth because they relize every time they go up they are breaking the rules. Now the real question is drinking and flying a good ideal, I say it depends , what are you flying a 40% or a foamy. Also skill of the pilot I have to say my skill set is better than 98% of the pilots out there and quite frankly I can put one up and down sober or drunk(not that I ever would) but I am the exception and not the rule and rule are made for all of us and not just some. So the short answer is obvious no it's a bad ideal to drink and fly. But I would like to say that some of you need to grow up a bit and not worry about what everyone else is doing. Fly low boys.
Old 09-30-2009, 07:00 PM
jairoblaster
My Feedback: (18)

Default RE: Drinking and flying

I am sorry I'm posting this on my iPod and put it on the wrong topic can someone help move it to general diss
Old 09-30-2009, 07:37 PM
DMyer
My Feedback: (2)

I gave up smoking....
Drinking....
Women....
worst 15 minutes of my life....
Old 09-30-2009, 09:11 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You might consider not drinking before posting. Try reading that post while sober.[:-]
Old 09-30-2009, 09:44 PM
BarryReade
My Feedback: (1)

Great point Vicman!!!
Old 10-01-2009, 07:10 AM
diggs_74

I've known a couple guys that I didn't want to be around them flying unless they had a couple beers first..
Old 10-01-2009, 02:00 PM
daven

I was waiting for the response from the Wisconsin guy, I hope your not talking about me
Old 10-01-2009, 02:59 PM
BarryReade

Yo Dude from Joplin, are you still there?
Old 10-01-2009, 07:03 PM
Bill Vargas
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: DMyer

I gave up smoking....
Drinking....
Women....
worst 15 minutes of my life....
man, 15 mins of no drink,,, that must have been like crashing your favorite plane!

BV
Old 10-02-2009, 07:15 AM
diggs_74

ORIGINAL: daven

I was waiting for the response from the Wisconsin guy, I hope your not talking about me
I wasn't talking about you Dave but now that you mention it I may add you to the list

In all honesty there was an older guy that I used to fly with who was a bit twitchy on the sticks until he had a couple beers, after that he flew as smooth as anyone.. Of coarse, that only lasted for a 6 pack, after that it went down hill pretty quickly.. Luckily it was usually dark before that..

In all honesty, the first time I flew a Q40 I may have bent the 8 hour rule a bit..
Old 10-02-2009, 08:25 AM
GSJames

I thought it was no drinking within 50 feet and no smoking within 8 hours, isn't that right???
Old 10-02-2009, 11:27 AM
diggs_74

Sound right.. 50 feet, bottle to throttle!!