Community
Search
Notices
General Racing Discussion Open discussion about racing and racing related topics

What is hurting pylon

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 04:35 PM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default What is hurting pylon

This pretty much sums it up.

http://cohort11.americanobserver.net...ediafinal.html
Old 11-19-2009, 10:20 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: What is hurting pylon

Livin in a black zone here.[&:]
Old 11-20-2009, 11:57 AM
daven

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like half the Country is in a black zone.
Old 11-20-2009, 07:03 PM
BUDMAN27

Well you know what they say. Once you go black you never go back. We made it through one we can make it through another.
Old 11-20-2009, 10:58 PM
Steve J
My Feedback: (4)

Is the economy the problem? I have a garage full of airplanes and the Q500 (424) are the least expensive of the bunch. Viper/TT40/basic servos and receiver can be had for $350 and with that you are competitive on a local level. At the flying field I can't believe the investments I see in 3D airplanes. I don't know why we can't get more people to race, but I don't think it is money. To the 10% unemployed, I offer my sympathy. If it really is the cost, just show up and and I'll let you fly a backup plane!
Old 11-21-2009, 08:16 AM
SSAN

Steve - That's very nice of you to offer that to others. However, if money was their issue to start, they will probably not take your offers on it since the desire is not there to play and break someone else airplane. You may say to them no big deal, but in the back of thier minds, the feelings is not right. That's just human nature, and from my own experiences flying my partners airplanes in AMA 424 class.

The economy is not the main reasons, but it is part of it. For those that have jobs, they will still keeps doing what they enjoy doing. But those that don't, food on the table and shelter over their heads are their number one priority. The other part is getting others envolve in this sport of pylon racing and marketing etc.
Old 11-21-2009, 04:35 PM
sahartman21

I've recently gotten back into racing. The Kansas City, Wichita, and surrounding area still have an active 424 race group.

The things that keep this area active are:

1) Racers that continue to promote and have events.

2) People that enjoy helping as much as they enjoy racing.

3) A simple set of rules that are easily met.

4) They do hand out props and furnish fuel.

Keep up the good work and let's race! [8D]
Old 11-21-2009, 04:36 PM
g.hodgesrc

Steve,

Like everyone else has stated, I don't think it's just the economy hurting us. It take a different kind of person to pylon race. Some guys will buy a one purpose plane then there are others who will not. Many don't like the V-tails we fly, so OK get a straight tail racer except they don't want to build everything, they want an ARF. Our North Texas Q-25 Series Racing Group stated in 2007 with 21 pilots from 5 clubs that actually raced, grew to 35 pilots from 8 clubs in 2008 that actually raced, had 41 pilots registered from 8 clubs for 2009 but only 22 from 5 clubs and a couple of independents have actually raced this year. Some lost planes in practice, had mid-airs or just bad luck crashes for what ever reason causing them to quit. Others have changed working hours or business travel more, just forget about the race dates, or just jumped on our race coaster at the beginning and are now gone. We are lucky in our area to have about 15 AMA Chartered Clubs, but this causes another problem of too many events to choose from. I love pylon racing, but also fly many other events. My kids are grow and my wife has her own hobby so I can be gone most weekends, but not the case with others. There are many reasons why, from economics, equipment cost / availability, or the intimidation of flying against better fliers or flying at another flying site. The original club I started with is a sport flyers club that allowed us to start club pylon racing. Our annual membership is 75-90 members of which 10 have pylon racers. Not a bad percentage overall, but since we started our multiple club racing series only 4 are active racers. Several are too intimidated to race even at their own flying field. The other club I belong to has 175-190 members of which probably 18-20 have racers and only 9-10 of them are active racers. With all that being said I can only continue to promote pylon racing events in our area and hope the economy or what other reason doesn't stop our participation in the future.

Gene H.
Texas Wings & FW Thunderbirds

Old 01-06-2010, 10:19 PM
iron eagel

ORIGINAL: HighPlains

This pretty much sums it up.

http://cohort11.americanobserver.net...ediafinal.html
It not just pylon it hurting!

If one picture is worth a thousand words that video is worth billions!
Sad part is the worst is yet to come, when the unemployment benefits start to run out for most of the people who make up that 10% that are now collecting.
The economy is hurting a lot of recreational activities not just R/C.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:21 PM
vicman

That mixed with a new engine change
Old 01-07-2010, 09:01 PM
Stevem9

yeah no kidding, i was going to race a couple races in 428 this year. but now i cant use the nelson ss i bought last year and go out and buy another engine if i want to race that class... this rule just keeps me content with 424, i think they will find attendance down in the 428 class. also why not the profi engine also?...
Old 01-07-2010, 09:34 PM
s-10promod

Your Nelson is Still legal.
Winterfest is the weekend after this, 424 and 428.
See the flyer on the home page. www.NMPRA.org
Old 01-07-2010, 10:18 PM
vicman

Not in our district[:-]
Old 01-07-2010, 10:22 PM
Stevem9

i wish i could make the winterfest in the process of buying a home..next week or so might close.

so the rules are differnt for each district?
Old 01-07-2010, 10:36 PM
Stevem9

ORIGINAL: Steve J

If it really is the cost, just show up and and I'll let you fly a backup plane!

thats basicly how i got into this, a friend of my mine at my local field had offered a simalar proposal, i was hesistant at first but i gave in and here i am having fun, for me it wasnt the money i watched a race a few month's earlier and was intimidated by them. didnt think i could handle the speed took a little bit to get used to but im getting the hang of it, but i returned the favor by doing the same for someone else and he in turn is looking for someone else to get started in it.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:33 AM
daven

428 is in transition right now, no doubt about it.

Some districts have opted to change their local rules, prior to the AMA rules cycle. There are several proposals (on the AMA site) for racing that will be voted on this year, that would go into effect for 2011.

From data gathered from district 5 and the majority of those that were at the Nats this past year, for the most part, were in favor of slowing down 428 and lessening the cost. The areas that have gone to the Sport Jett have done just that, and it is my assumption that they HOPE the AMA decides to do the same.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:19 PM
Stevem9

so how much slower are the sportjets vs current nelson ss/ls?
Old 01-08-2010, 12:43 PM
petec
My Feedback: (58)

Forgive the noob question, not that I would run 428 starting out but I do have a Nelson on the shelf along with a couple Sport Jetts, what is changing for 428?
Old 01-08-2010, 02:37 PM
daven

Steve thats not a simple question to answer, but I'll give it a try.

These speeds are based on a perfectly set up motor, needle, prop, and plane.

Nelson LS 428 Low 180's
Nelson SS 428 Mid 160's

Someone else will have to chime in about the New Sport Jett, but I would estimate int he 150+ range.

Pete,

Nothing has changed with 428 on a National Level per AMA rules. They MAY be changing in 2011, but the proposals will need to be voted on and passed to go into effect.
The Sempra Group (Mainly Florida, but also some of the SE, not sure of the exact borders) has changed their local rules to utilize the short course, and the sport Jett .40 ONLY. The CAPS group is also considering a change to a similar format, but I am unsure if they have done so.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:20 PM
petec
My Feedback: (58)

Thanks Dave.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:37 PM
Stevem9

perfect dave that what i was looking for. thanks
Old 01-08-2010, 07:05 PM
vicman

They are looking at times in the 1:05 range with the SJ
Old 01-08-2010, 08:22 PM
skull1971

IF Jett is willing, AND we lock it in for,, say 2 rules cycles, I'm all for the Sport Jett motor. Or we can go back to the SS's and have Jett's and Profi's, until someone else comes along.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:58 PM
DHULEN
My Feedback: (11)

I to like the sport jett at $250. I know of several here in the kansas city area that I have been talking with that will buy a sport jett. But it only makes sense to fly the on the short course. So that the different airfoil and different airplanes won't make that big of a difference. I know 424 on the long course, you can definitely see the difference in the speed of the airplanes. But if you keep it on the short course, they are all much more competetive. Because it would be nice to be able to fly a beefed up viper (fuselage) with a sport jett on a short course and still be competetive, and keep the cost down. Those of you that fly the 424 on the long course know what I am talking about. So my opinion sport jet 428 and 424 on the short course, and 422 on the long course. I would like to lock that in for 2 rule seasons.

Duane
V12
Old 01-08-2010, 09:49 PM
Stevem9

ORIGINAL: skull1971

Or we can go back to the SS's and have Jett's and Profi's, until someone else comes along.
perfect.

DHULEN: i honestly havent seena huge speed differnece between some of the "woodies", i flew a viper..(well a few ha ha)...against several differnet planes. im not an expert or anything but to me it seems more pilot and airplane setup than anything. i personally dont see anything wrong with 424 and 428 in the long course

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.