Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pylon Universe - RC Pylon Racing > General Racing Discussion
Reload this Page >

Rickey rat, lil tony,el bandito,pole kitty

Community
Search
Notices
General Racing Discussion Open discussion about racing and racing related topics

Rickey rat, lil tony,el bandito,pole kitty

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2003, 05:24 AM
plumberdeluxe
My Feedback: (209)

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Rickey rat, lil tony,el bandito,pole kitty

Does anyone know anything about these planes? I just got them , they have nice fiberglass fuses, real skinny little wheel pants, and look like a teeny shoestring. I have no knowledge of thier age or value. They are in good shape. Can anyone help me out? Thanks........Dave
Old 07-12-2003, 10:54 AM
Ed Smith

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some years ago there were two principle Pylon racing classes. Quarter Midget which used .15 size engines and Formula 1 which used .40 size engines.

I know for sure there was a "Pole Kitty" Quarter Midget model. I THINK it was produced by the Adamisin family. If that is a smaller fuselage than the other three it is probably that model.

El Bandito, Rickey Rat and l'il Toni were Formula one racers.

All of them were produced in the same manner as racers today, sort of on a cottage industry basis.

Ed S
Old 07-12-2003, 04:18 PM
Randy Smith

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a couple of Rickey Rats years ago in the Formula One event. It was a nice looking plane and flew well once it had taken off and was flying. What I mean is the take-off with the Rickey Rat was an adventure of its own.

For the first three seconds after take-off the plane just did whatever it wanted to. It went wherever it wanted to. You could do nothing about it. You had to hope for the best. Of course this was a 5 pound model (or more with fuel) with Formula One engine and prop rev-ing @ 22,000 rpm. Lots of torque etc.

Some popular opinion was that the tail on the Rickey Rat was too small for a proper take-off. All the rudder input in the world on take-off would never help. In fact, it just seemed to make it worse. You just had to let her go and hang on for the ride for about three seconds. Once it started flying (wing and tail and propeller biting) it flew well.

Randy S.
Old 07-15-2003, 09:59 PM
DHG
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Well-behaved midwings

Randy,

I have personally observed the antics of which you speak. The big Pole Cat and the first version of the .15 Folkerts also had this problem. Besides the too-small-tail theory, there was the tail-in-the-wing-wake theory. When I designed my first Stinger (.15 size) I made the stabilizer area 15% of the wing area and made sure to place it 1/4" above the wing so it wouldn't be in the downwash. On the first takeoff, I fully expected it to Dutch roll, snap, and bury itself in the dirt as I'd seen the others do. However, I evidently did something right. Since then I've reduced the tail area but always placed the tail 1/4" to 1/2" above the wing (depending on whether the plane was .15 size or .40 size) and never had a gut-check on takeoff.

Dave,

If you plan to build and fly any of those kits, you might want to check the stabilizer position and modify accordingly. Seems like a no-lose proposition unless you're trying for "museum scale."

DHG