Community
Search
Notices
General Racing Discussion Open discussion about racing and racing related topics

Q500 / EF1 racing in Hillsdale, KS

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 06:16 AM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Q500 / EF1 racing in Hillsdale, KS

June 13-14, two one day races, at the RC Barnstormers Hillsdale Lake flying field.

We plan to fly 424 and EF1, both on the 475' course. Fuel will be 15% pylon Ritch's Brew for the 424, and electrons for the EF1! We do NOT have AC power at our field, but we do have a solar system with batteries that will be available. Depending on turnout, it may be worth considering using the car battery, generators, etc, for EF1 charging if needed.

The field is a well maintained grass field, cut short (1.5" or so) and will be mowed shortly before the event. We have flown EF1, 424, 426, and 422 planes off this runway with success.

If there's enough interest (let me know here) we will add 426 Q500 to the program.

We will be using the Heartland Speed Freakz light / timing system.

Sorry for the short notice - we were hoping for a fall race, but there wasn't a weekend available at the field that didn't conflict with other events, so June 13-14 it is.

There isn't much EF1 around this part of the country, but we're hoping to scare up those folks that have one, would like to give it a try.

C'mon out, race with us. The field is about 25 minutes south of Olathe KS, just below the dam at Hillsdale lake. I'll get a flyer worked up with directions, etc, and post it here soon.

Even if you've never raced before, come join us. We have several experienced racers in the area, and would like to not only race, but help new guys (and gals) give it a shot!

Let me know here if you can make it, or if you have more questions.

Gordon McWilliams

PS - initial responses are looking good, 426 is looking good. A couple more people and it's good to go. I'd like to get the 426 guys and other more experienced racers to strive to bring along a new person to give racing a shot. I hope to make this race fun for everyone, and encouraging to new folks at the same time!

addendum: Thanks to Randy Etken from q500racing.com, we will be having a raffle prize at this contest. Each paid event entry for each day will get a raffle ticket, and we'll be giving away one of Randy's R140 Q500 kits, with sheeted shaped wing and a fuse kit. We'll draw the winning ticket after the racing on Sunday, and you don't have to be present to win if you can only make it out for the race on Saturday! Thanks again, Randy!

Last edited by fizzwater2; 05-08-2015 at 10:22 AM. Reason: add raffle drawing info
Old 04-30-2015, 05:22 AM
fizzwater2

426 is a go, it'll be on the schedule. Hope to start hearing from folks that plan to attend. Several local guys and a few from Wichita, Colorado, and western KS have mentioned they'll likely be there, so let's go racing!
Old 05-06-2015, 06:08 AM
fizzwater2

Info:
Hillsdale is a small town south of Kansas City on the KS side. Nearby, larger towns include Paola (15 minutes), Gardner (maybe 20 minutes) and Olathe (25 mins or so).

I did an Expedia search for hotels near Paola, there are some with reasonable prices in Gardner and south Olathe.

http://www.expedia.com/Hotel-Search?#&destination=Paola, Kansas, United States of America&startDate=06/12/2015&endDate=06/14/2015&regionId=6051775&adults=2

There is also a fairly new hotel, the Paola Inn, but their rates were higher from what I could tell, about 110 a night was what I was seeing.

http://www.paolainn.com/index.html

Lots of good places to eat around, from good local places to the big chains. The little town of Hillsdale has a pretty good barbecue joint, Hillsdale Bank Barbecue that's open on weekends. Paola has a German restaurant, Beethoven's #9, good Mexican (El Potro), and a local bar/grill called Emery's that makes good tenderloin sandwiches, etc.

We plan on having hamburgers/hot dogs & such during the day at the races for lunch.

Please post here if you're planning (or hoping..) to come to the race, so I can start getting a head count. I had several at the Wichita race that said they hope to be there, so c'mon out and race with us!
Old 05-07-2015, 07:08 AM
fizzwater2

Default race flier with directions

Here is a race flier with directions to the field.

One minor exception to the NMPRA EF1 rules - we WILL allow the E-Flite Pogo to race without the add-on wingtip extensions that the NMPRA requires to slightly increase the wing area. Several folks may still have a pogo around, and I don't want to turn anyone away if they want to come out and try racing with us.
Attached Files
Old 05-08-2015, 10:22 AM
fizzwater2

Default Raffle drawing info

Thanks to Randy Etken from q500racing.com, we will be having a raffle prize at this contest. Each paid event entry for each day will get a raffle ticket, and we'll be giving away one of Randy's R140 Q500 kits, with sheeted shaped wing and a fuse kit. We'll draw the winning ticket after the racing on Sunday, and you don't have to be present to win if you can only make it out for the race on Saturday! Thanks again, Randy!
Old 05-11-2015, 11:04 AM
fizzwater2

Default More hotel info

[TABLE="class: tborder user-postbit-left-user, width: 100%, align: center"]
[TR]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: alt2"]more hotel info:

Ottawa, KS is about the same distance away as Olathe or Gardner - west on 68 highway from the flying field about 25 mins or so.

http://www.expedia.com/Hotel-Search?...ination=Ottawa, Kansas, United States of America&startDate=06/12/2015&endDate=06/14/2015&regionId=6212688&adults=2

Exit 187 is the highway 68 exit from I-35. Exit 183 is the south side of Ottawa.

I'm hearing the hotel in Paola is booked up for Saturday night.
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
Old 05-12-2015, 10:30 AM
fizzwater2

Preliminary Pilot's listing

So far: I don't have myself down in any of the events yet, I'll either be working or flying..
I'm still waiting on confirmation from some more before I put their names on the list, but it's growing.

Ken VanTuyl
Doug Scherrer
Barry Gosnell
Ben Hobbs
Mike Riken
Eddie Jump
Duane Gall
Gordon McWilliams

Moe Vereecke
Lonnie Finch
Ken VanTuyl
Duane Hulen
Doug Scherrer
Barry Gosnell
Duane Gall
Eddie Jump
Gordon McWilliams

EF1
Ben Hobbs
Art Kittler
Doug Scherrer
Duane Gall
Gordon McWilliams

Last edited by fizzwater2; 05-20-2015 at 08:55 AM. Reason: updated pilot list
Old 05-14-2015, 12:00 PM
fizzwater2

Default updated pilot listing

I've updated the listing with the recent additions. Let me know if you're coming, and if you're NOT flying on 2.4GHz, please let me know what channel you're using.
Old 05-20-2015, 05:35 AM
fizzwater2

Remember - for each event entry each day you get a raffle ticket for a chance at that R140 Q500 kit from Randy Etken at q500racing.com !
Old 06-09-2015, 08:29 AM
fizzwater2

only a few days to go! Looking forward to seeing a bunch of folks at the races.