RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   General Racing Discussion (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/general-racing-discussion-140/)
-   -   Course Judging (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/general-racing-discussion-140/10658930-course-judging.html)

mdwpylonracer42h 08-06-2011 07:27 PM

Course Judging

To all CDs and pylon pilots,

I think that a lot of controversies in scoring of places comes with the turn course judge's judgement. They are the ones that truly set the pace and fast times, including the record AMA times.

Just FYI for all CDs. I make sure as a CD of a race that I instruct my turn course judges to not, and I repeat not, call a cut on a plane that has any part of their wing outside the pylon. Also I tell them that if there is a plane that made an obvious cut with all parts of the fuselage and wing inside the pylon, but cannot tell at that moment who is the guilty party, then do not call a cut. More than likely if they do call a cut and not really know who to call it on, they call it on an innocent "plane/pilot". I tell them to wait the next turn of the race to be sure and to call high green, low red, or whatever cut if that same plane does it again. The word is from me as a CD to the turn judges is that all planes are innocent until proven guilty.

Let's face it, until we get a true economical GPS lockin on four RC planes flying around a group of pylons, we are dependant on course workers who sacrifice their time to judge a pylon race while the rest of us are in the heat of competition and having a good time. We have no room to gripe even if we feel if we have had a bad call. Bad calls happen even in professional sports, including NASCAR. Bad calls in the NFL may be the exception as they use instant replay and coaches red flag to reverse a call. Obviously we don't have that kind of money and stroke to afford that.

Just my thoughts as a pylon CD and pylon racer,

Mike W

rbg 08-07-2011 09:26 AM

RE: Course Judging

Hey Mike:

Remember one thing this is racing. You forgot without help we can't race.. We as racers must take the good calls with the bad and move on. THe pylon judges are doing the best they possible can.. remember they more than likely are not racers therefore these planes to them are quick.

Let the judges call what they see and move on and race.

Bob

dnrocc 08-14-2011 09:29 AM

Mike,

I recently thought of an idea that may help in calling poles. If you were to place a sheet of ply wood in front of the pole judge where as it is aligned to block the air space beyond the pole. In other words, the judge is sitting behind the plyood and his view is only the airspace where the a cut can occur. Basically he would sit behind the sheet of plyood to where the pole is just outside of his view (blocked by the plyood). This way, the only planes he can see are those that fly within his view (the ones that are cutting). He does not see the others that are flying beyond the pylon because they are blocked by the ply wood.

Just an idea

Don

mdwpylonracer42h 08-16-2011 04:26 PM

To Bob first,

I whole heartily agree with every thing you said. I just think that the racing becomes more intense and competitive once the judges loosen up and make correct calls, not all calls. Let's face it, if a turn judge thinks they need to make a call on some plane that made a cut, but not sure who, he is going to call a cut on some plane and it may or not be the right call. In my opinion, it is better to make no call at all if you are unsure as a turn judge than some call on someone because you saw someone cut. On the other hand, a more practiced turn judge will see some airplane cut out of a group of four on the first lap, but has some idea who cut, but not for sure. He/She would not call a cut according to my instructions and wait for the same suspected plane to do it again. If it happens again, call a cut (not for the first "suspected" cut but for the immediate definite cut). If some plane manages to scape by a foot or two inside the pylon and you as a judge are not sure to call it in on - - let it go.

To Don,

You have mentioned this before in the same discussion we are having now on this forum. In theory, it is a great idea, in practice, I am not so sure. All I can say is we could try it the first round of a race and if the turn judges like it, keep it there the rest of the race.

still4given 08-16-2011 04:43 PM

At all of my races, I tell the pylon judges to only call obvious cuts. If they find themselves pondering whether is was cut, it is close enough to be a no call. I didn't think about the case where they know there was a cut but aren't sure which plane it was. I agree if they are not positive they shouldn't call it and will give that instruction from now on.

Thanks, Terry

luv to race 08-22-2011 02:15 AM

by rule...

A turn is legitimate (i.e., there is no cut) if any part of the aircraft goes outside and around the pylon. If there is any doubt about a possible cut, the pilot should be given the benefit of the doubt.