RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   General Racing Discussion (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/general-racing-discussion-140/)
-   -   Battery use info (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/general-racing-discussion-140/11085724-battery-use-info.html)

fizzwater2 05-18-2012 07:18 AM

Battery use info

I just thought it might be interesting to keep track of how much battery each race on my planes consumes. These days I'm flying LiFe batteries in the planes, and the charger (I use a Cellpro Multi-4) will let me know how much it puts back into the battery after it's charged.

Info would include type of servos (so we can see the difference between analog and digital, etc.) and type of plane, etc.

For example - last night I flew my SamRai 426 plane on the short course during a practice session - flew it twice. Both times were typical race - 11 laps (10 plus insurance..) after starting the engine and walking back to the spot where I normally fly from. After 11-12 laps, shut the engine down and land. Analog servos, Hitec 225BB, all 4 of them. I had charged just before flying last night, and when I recharged this morning, the charger put back in 39 mah. Roughly 20 mah per flight.

Didn't fly the 424 plane, but it's also got a 2S LiFe battery in it with analog servos.

If you're using a charger that keeps track of how much capacity it returns to the battery after flying, let us know here and we can put together some reference info for "typical" use.

luv to race 05-18-2012 08:40 AM

RE: Battery use info

I have put 17 flights on a Q40.. using the Team Orion 600mah LiFe pack.. ALL "high voltage" JR 3711 digital servos, 4 in total.. Maybe 4 or 5 minutes per flight with the radio on, that's a guess of course..

Charged the pack.. Only put about 285mah in the pack. So that was about 16.5mah per flight..

Technically you could fly many more flights.. But that was about my limit :D

Randy Bridge

diggs_74 05-18-2012 09:35 AM

ORIGINAL: luv to race

I have put 17 flights on a Q40.. using the Team Orion 600mah LiFe pack.. ALL ''high voltage'' JR 3711 digital servos, 4 in total.. Maybe 4 or 5 minutes per flight with the radio on, that's a guess of course..

Charged the pack.. Only put about 285mah in the pack. So that was about 16.5mah per flight..

Technically you could fly many more flights.. But that was about my limit :D

Randy Bridge
Wow, I probably don't get 17 Q40 flights in a year.. If I do, it's not much more than that. I suppose if they would fly with skis on them I could do better ;)

I'm still old school, 1000mAh NiMh packs I build my self.. After a day at the Nat's last year I think I put in about 90-100 mah back in depending on set flights and that sort of think. 9650's on everything but the fuel shut-off.

djlyon 05-20-2012 10:49 AM

It seems to me I was using about 22ma per flight but I don't get around the pylons as fast as Randy. I like the fat 4mile course. It was about the same with nimh or life packs.

Denis

sahartman21 05-20-2012 01:49 PM

I agree that around 20 mAH per flight is normal.

Just don't forget to turn the receiver off between flights. I did that the last time I was at KRC. I put in around 350 mAH after about 5 flights plus a lot of dead time. [&:]

djlyon 05-20-2012 02:01 PM

I think the variation you will see is more caused by other factors as opposed to equipment. I.E. when Randy is on the course the servos are going to be moving a lot less than when I'm on the course maybe 100% less. I use airtronics and Hitec digitals.

Denis

luv to race 05-21-2012 02:53 AM

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...-plug-ORI60502

Here is the pack I use.. just in case anyone wants that info..

Ultimately it really doesn't matter how many mah's you use to fly a heat race, or for a 5 race day...right? Just as long as you have enough battery to get you through the day. The things I like with the Orion LiFe packs is...They are pretty light in weight, and I can charge on Friday and then not worry about it for the rest of the weekend. And they are only $15 bucks....

So you "old school" NIMH guys... You need to get with the times :D... just jerking your chain. I'm sure there are plenty of NIMH users

RB

racerxwest 05-22-2012 07:32 AM

Do you use a regulator?

fizzwater2 05-22-2012 08:09 AM

I use LiFe packs (6.6V) without a regulator with a mixture of Hitec 225's, JR 3021's (yep, still have a handful), Futaba 9650's, and Spektrum H5000's. Toss in a couple Hitec 82 or 85MG's for throttle..

So far I've not had troubles with the 6.6V battery on the servos, without resorting to special high voltage servos or a regulator.

I have flown 2S LiPo with regulators, though - but am switching everything over to the Life batteries with no regulators.

djlyon 05-22-2012 08:55 AM

Same here. I am using the Lifes on several different analog and digital servos with no problem, so far. Non are high voltage. The Hitec 5245s are a little buzzy for 2 seconds after turn on but otherwise seem fine.

Denis

daven 05-22-2012 09:08 PM

I think I'm the only guy still using NIMHS :)

luv to race 05-23-2012 02:17 AM

And you guys hit on another sweet feature of the 6.6V LiFe packs... you can run both HV servos and non-HV servos in the same plane, without a regulator.. and the battery will run it all without problems. It's enough voltage to work the HV stuff, and not too much voltage that would damage your non-HV stuff.... At least in the JR servo world. But you should always check your servo specs before listening to anybody on a website chat.

RB