Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Hostettler Cessna 182

Old 04-08-2002, 10:21 PM
sugarfox
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hostettler Cessna 182

Hi Guys! While at Toledo last weekend I purchased the plans for a Cessna 182 from Hostettler and a kit from Precision Cut Kits. The kit is lazer cut and very well done. This is a new design for this year and I was wondering if anyone had one started or flying yet. The plans calls for a 3-4 inch engine. I have a new Q-50 thats never been run that I thought I would use but the more I think about it, it might not be enough. Weight calls for about 25-30 pounds. Hostettler said it would be fine but I'm nervous. Nothing worse than not enough power. [I take that back, tailheavy is worse by a long shot] If anyone has suggestions, comments etc about this airplane I'd be interested in your ideas.

Thanks, Sugarfox
Old 04-10-2002, 04:07 PM
Forgues Research
My Feedback: (7)

Default power need

Listen,
When Bob Neltiz came out with the very first 1/3 size J-3 Cub, it weighed 30 lbs and he flew it with a Quadra 35. It did not hang on the prop but then the full size did not either.
I saw him put on an aerobatic routine with this airplane in the same maner that the full size 65hp cub would have , it was vey scale.
The quadra 50 should be plenty. If your looking for full blown aerobatic, then youv'e got the wrong airplane.

Roger

ACM
Rep....

Team ACM
Fiber Optic Servo Extensions
Forgues Propellers
Multiplex Dealer
http://www.aerografixs.com
Model-Scan Frequency Analyzer
Old 04-10-2002, 10:36 PM
sugarfox

Default cessna 182

Thanks for responding Roger. I'm not looking for or expecting acrobatics from this airplane, just scale flight. I just get nervous being on the low end of the power requirement. Since this is the first Hostettler design I've tangled with I'm not sure what he would consider enough power on the low end. Some designers planes will barely fly on the low end, so I am used to overpowering everything to a point.

Anyone else with any experience with Wendle's stuff I would appreciate your comments. I met him at his booth in Toledo and seemed to be quite a nice fellow and quite knowlegeable, so I guess I should quit second guessing him and just build it as designed.[man that would be a first].

regards, sugarfox.......John Alford, Indianapolis, In
Old 04-11-2002, 02:19 AM
70CudaRJ

Hi John,
I have a 1/3 scale Cessna 150 with a G-62 flying it. I first flew the 150 with a G-38. The G-38 flew very scale like, but it took quite a bit of runway for takeoff. The G-62 is way too much power at full throttle. Normall flight is less than half throttle with takeoff at less than 3/4 throttle.
The Q-50 will have more than enough power if you keep the weight under 35lbs.
Good luck, Rod
Old 04-11-2002, 02:17 PM
sugarfox

Default cessna 182

Thanks Rod, Wendle calls for this to weigh 26-30 lbs, so if I con't make a pig out of it sounds like I'll be ok. I belong to 2 clubs and one has a 600 foot asphalt runway so that will help. I'll just have to be careful when adding scale items. Was your 150 a Hostettler design? If so how did it build out? Any major changes?

Thanks for your comments..........John
Old 04-11-2002, 05:10 PM
70CudaRJ

John, I bought my 150 from a friend. He had someone build it for him from plans. I don't think it is a Hostetler design.
I have seen a Hostetler 150 that was detailed to the max and it had a weight of 33lbs. The owner has a BME 44 in it,(which would be close to a Q-50) and it flew fine. Rod
Old 04-13-2002, 12:38 AM
RCNCMAN
My Feedback: (29)

Sugarfox,
If you want to sound scale put a Saito 300 twin in it. It is plenty of power and is a great match. I love gas but the twin is the way to go on either of the Cessnas 150/206/182.

Regards

Sorry for the previous start, apparently one can't use the tab button to indent.