Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Pilot rc 30cc Sbach.

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 08:18 AM
shleprock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pilot rc 30cc Sbach.

Just started to get mine together. I'm wondering if some of you have some experience with this airframe. Does it balance well at the rear of the wingtube? I am thinking that I will set the cg at the middle of the tube to start with. I have a good running side carb DLE 30 mounted. How are the general flying traits? I have been flying a 30cc Edge for a while now. Thanks in advance for any tips or advice on the Sbach.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:34 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts
Default RE: Pilot rc 30cc Sbach.

Basing my obervations on the 50cc but yes thats a good starting point for the CG at the back of the wing tube. It flys better than anything I own. Little to no wing rock even in the wind, pattern ship like lines even when balanced for 3D. It's a winner.

If you want to clean up the nasty graphics send me a PM
Old 10-07-2010, 04:02 PM
SOLO_48
My Feedback: (8)

I just put together 50CC sbach 342,it came tail heavy
Old 10-07-2010, 06:15 PM
Russmall

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just finished assembling and test flying the 30 cc Sbach for a friend. The suggested CG at the rear of the wing tube is a bit tail heavy. Weather conditions were perfect for the test flight, but it was difficult to trim for straight and level flight. It was very sensitive to elevator inputs and was either climbing or diving. I was never able to dial in the sweet spot. I have now moved the CG to the center of the wing tube and will test it out again tomorrow or the next day. The DLE 30 provides great power for this plane. RS
Old 10-08-2010, 09:50 AM
shleprock

I believe I'm going to start with the cg at the center of the wing tube. I have the ignition module and battery on the motor box. The receiver battery is mounted under the top of the motor box. I am still a bit tail heavy. I do not want to add weight if I don't have to. I'm not sure how to get the tail any lighter. Any thoughts? Maybe a heavier spinner and APC prop?
Old 10-08-2010, 01:53 PM
Russmall

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We test flew the airplane again this morning with the new CG setting at center of wing tube and it flies much better now. Easy to trim for straight and level flight but still plenty aerobatic. I could not figure out a way to get the CG moved forward without adding lead to the nose, so I added 5 oz. stuck to the inside of the cowl. The total weight now is 11lb. 5oz. but it flies very light on it's wings and lands at near walking speed. This is a very good flying airplane. RS
Old 10-08-2010, 02:34 PM
shleprock

I'm sure that's what I'll end up doing. I can't get my batteries any farther forwards. I'm glad it flies well. I should be doing the maiden on Sunday or Monday. Thank you for the info on the cg.
Old 10-10-2010, 07:05 AM
Wingspam

A buddy of mine has the Pilot Sbach 30cc with the DLE 30 rear carb and I think he is turning a 18x6 prop. This plane tooks awesome, seems to fly well enough but it lands like crap.
The CG is at the center of the wing tube and he has added 5oz of weight to the top of the motor box and both batteries are in front of the tank.
When I say it lands like crap this is what I mean, as he lines up for his approach and starts to drop the throttle the nose starts to balloon up, I am talking like 35 to 40 degrees up. If he brings it in hot for landing its better but when he touches down the plane is still at a good flying speed.
Yesterday after a couple of flights we noticed his up lines pulled to the left so he decided to add 1 degree of right thrust, now the upline are straight and true. On the next flight he added down thrust of 1 degree to the motor, level flight look good, inverted flight caused the nose to drop and drop well. Even before we changed the down thrust of the motor inverted flight did the same thing just not as severe. Now on landings with this new down thrust it basically settled in for a perfect 3 point landing.
Is it time to take out the 5oz of nose weight?
He was told a week or so ago that while in inverted flight the nose should stay level or climb slightly, so if this is a true statement then he is still nose heavy? right?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92942.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	279.0 KB
ID:	1513841  
Old 10-10-2010, 10:08 PM
jon595
My Feedback: (2)

I maidened one today that I helped assemble for a club member. It's characteristics are just as you described. The cg needed to be more forward because it climbed when inverted, climbed when in a 90 degree banked turn, and on the 45 degree upline/half roll see what it does manuever (an IMAC thing). Need to put a couple of more flights on it before I mess with the thrust lines.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:10 PM
shleprock

Maidened mine yesterday. The cg set at center of wingtube. Although it was quite breezy, I am quite impressed so far. It tracks better than the Edge 540 I have been flying (same size). On an inverted 45 degree full throttle upline, it continues straight for about 150 feet before the nose begins to drop slightly. It requires just a touch of down to hold inverted level flight. I haven't done much more than a few trim flights as of yet. It was too windy to check out the vertical uplines yesterday. Rolls were very axial. Landings were a non event. Settled in a bit tail low and landed quite slow. Going to fly it again tomorrow and check on the thrust trim. Anyone have some tips on setting throttle curve for the dle 30? I'm using a 9303 2.4. I would like to get the throttle response a bit more linear. There is little rpm difference between half and full throttle. I hear this is a common trait with many gas engines.
Old 11-30-2010, 11:16 AM
Stallion_51
My Feedback: (1)

Have a BME 50 ready to go for this one. Would that be sufficient enough to take care of the CG issue?

EDIT: wrong thread
Old 11-30-2010, 11:54 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

A 50 on this airframe?

Yikes.