Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Pilot R/C Extra 260 Quality and Service????

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Pilot R/C Extra 260 Quality and Service????

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 09:20 PM
mitchsnap
My Feedback: (33)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pilot R/C Extra 260 Quality and Service????

Hi to all. I am considering purchasing a Pilot R/C 30% Extra 260 from Chief Aircraft. Using a DLE55 for an engine and JR 8611a's for servos. Never did business with them before. Was just wondering how their customer service and support was. Also I'm not familiar with Pilot R/C. Seems to be a high end plane with good reviews. Thanks for your help and any suggestions.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:58 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

Default RE: Pilot R/C Extra 260 Quality and Service????

lots of good talk about them on F giants com
Old 11-19-2010, 09:44 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

I have the 50 CC Sbach and Yak. I'd buy another one in a heart beat.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:49 PM
hanko

For the money, Pilot and SD (TOC Thunder Tiger) are up at the top. pilot was a group of guys that broke away from SD models and started their own thing. The kits and design are very similar. Id compare the quality to Aero Works, they are lighter, and better flyers as far as Im concerned
Old 11-20-2010, 06:50 AM
dale691

Lighter but won't last like AW or the like. Beware of some comments like "the best ARF I have had" Bit rich to say that I think!
Old 11-20-2010, 03:35 PM
hanko

Where in my post do I mention best ARF? Get your facts straight there numnuts. I have both AW and Pilot, and TOC do you. I doubt it.
Old 11-20-2010, 03:49 PM
dale691

Manners please hanko. Someone mentioned threads on FG and people over there are saying it. Maybe my pockets are not as deep as yours but I do have a pilot sbach 107'. Have friends with AW. I have multiple hangar 9 planes and in my opinion the other brands are better. These are the kind of remarks I expect from people that push the pilot rc band wagon. Their marketing and flooding on the forums is second to none. I'm not saying not to buy one just wish I had made my mind up based on seeing one not taking the advise given on these forums. Just have a look and compare before you make your decision. Seems to me there are people on these forums that have something to gain by telling people how good certain products are!

Again I'm not saying don't buy one. Just make an informed decision. Don't get sucked in by hype. I was first in my club to have a pilot rc aircraft and had it shipped to me unseen.
Old 11-20-2010, 06:21 PM
hanko

Everyone has the right to express there opinion, as long as they can express it based on experience, not from hear say. You are entitled to yours, but please do not put words in my mouth and post the fact I said something I didnt, thats what pissed me off. I have 3 AW planes 50cc Edge, 50cc Extra 300, 100 cc extra 260. I have 3 TOC planes and 1 Pilot. All excellent planes, but I prefer the TOC above all.
Old 11-21-2010, 04:57 PM
aerocom20

Hanco your a bit sensitive there, I didn’t see how dale691 put words in your mouth, he was advising mitchsnap to be aware when others say “the best arf†in the forums.
Old 11-21-2010, 08:27 PM
joshmoha
My Feedback: (75)

does anybody know the story on sd-toc-thunder tiger models going out of business
Old 11-21-2010, 08:28 PM
joshmoha
My Feedback: (75)

does anybody know the story on sd-toc-thunder tiger models going out of business
Old 11-21-2010, 08:53 PM
Super08
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are now owned and sold through Tower Hobbies. Look for them under .51 and up scale arf's.
Old 11-21-2010, 09:24 PM
mitchsnap
My Feedback: (33)

Hi to all again. I've decided to go with the Pilot RC Extra 260 30%. After numerous emails and phone contact with Chief Aircraft the plane seems to be what I'm looking for. Chief Aircraft provides great support and the quality of Pilot seems to stand out. Thanks for everyone's input. As soon as I receive the ARF and finish it I will try to post more info and some pics. Thanks again.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:29 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

You won't be disappointed, its a great airplane.

The word "best" is in the eye of the beholder. I have nothing against AW planes, they are nice as well.
Old 04-05-2011, 02:03 PM
outlaw29

I have a Pilot Rc extra 300 35% and a Sd (Toc extreme) Yak 54-30%. I my opinion, these are far superior to any Aeroworks planes. AW has weak landing gear and firewalls/engine boxes in my experience. Pilot Rc is as durable if not more and wieght is much lower for comparable air frames. AW is slipping in my opinion. However,Parts are hard to get from Pilot RC. Most models come with Carbon wing tubes, landing gear, mains and tail, and carbon spinner. There hardware is very good. I have seldom used AW's hardware. You will not be disapointed with Pilot RC.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:23 PM
lowslow

I have a 30% 260 from Pilot and it flys very nice, DA 50 with KS canister ( I really like the canister ), 7955's and Smartfly with Lipo power. I also have the SD and TOC Yak that are both good flying planes. The 260 flys very smooth and tracks very well, much more like a pattern plane and the DA has more than enough power, the DLE will too. I have been buying from Chief for many years and have been to the shop in Grant Pass many times and have always been treated well. The last thing to argue about is model airplanes, we have dogs, girlfriends, wives, horses, cars, politics, religion, jobs, and last but not least kids for this.
Old 01-08-2015, 08:41 AM
DMyer
My Feedback: (2)

Originally Posted by outlaw29
I have a Pilot Rc extra 300 35% and a Sd (Toc extreme) Yak 54-30%. I my opinion, these are far superior to any Aeroworks planes. AW has weak landing gear and firewalls/engine boxes in my experience. Pilot Rc is as durable if not more and wieght is much lower for comparable air frames. AW is slipping in my opinion. However,Parts are hard to get from Pilot RC. Most models come with Carbon wing tubes, landing gear, mains and tail, and carbon spinner. There hardware is very good. I have seldom used AW's hardware. You will not be disapointed with Pilot RC.
FYI.... My kid has flown a Pilot Extra 260 for 5 years now - it has been a very reliable flyer despite the 3D abuse my kid gives it. Last year... he had a dead stick and landed in soft rough field ripping the entire landing gear out with damage to undercarriage and connecting bulkheads/engine box. Sent Tony at Pilot pictures of the damage.... they sent me everything to literally rebuilt the entire front end..... every bulkhead, damaged engine box part, sticks, triangle etc.... unbelievable... just for the cost of shipping. They even sent me pictures of all the parts prior to shipping to make sure I had everything! Now that is support and service IMO. As a side note.... since the original landing gear mount was a weak point.... the new parts have been redesigned/updated to greatly strengthen the gear mount area.