Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

What type, size control horns?

Old 01-24-2011, 04:40 PM
Capt Cash
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default What type, size control horns?

I have a 30% Sbach I'm rigging out and don't know what typeand what size control horns to decide on. This is my first step up to this size plane and I want to get the geometry correct for a setupgiving at least 45 degrees or so of deflection for 3D flying. For the servo arms I figured onthe 1.5" Hangar 9 Sx Armand a 3" double arm on the rudder: www.bestrcdeals.com/product/Hangar-9-Aluminum-Sx-Arm-15-Futaba.html

The simplest control horns seem to be the 8-32 control rod like the one made by Dubro: www.troybuiltmodels.com/items/DUB866.html. These are adjustable to any length which is nice but I hear the bolt can tend to get loose in the hardpoint over time. Epoxy can fix this I know but it makes it rather permanent at that point.

The double truss carbon fiber are the coolest and harder to find, but I would have to cut the slots in my hardpoints and I'm not sure howdifficult it would be to get them installed straight and true. Thealuminum versions are nice also but hard to find as well. Ifound these butat 1.5" I think theyare too long for a 50cc type model:www.azurehobbies.com/index.php.

The Robart control horns seem sturdy, simple,and include a ball link: www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p. However I've yet to see these on the large scale aerobatic planes. I'm thinking about trying these for now and going with the 1" long version.
Thanks all for your input. Just wondering what be the most reliable and resistant to wear and tear.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:49 PM
MetallicaJunkie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: What type, size control horns?

For servo arms 1 1/4 will workwell, if you want the absolute max movement 1.5" will work http://aztechaero.goods.officelive.com/products.aspx

as far as control horns go, i would use what ever the kit manufacturer supplied, today's modern higher end ARFs come with good hardware.... 4-40 is fine

Old 02-03-2011, 09:13 AM
Capt Cash
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: What type, size control horns?

Still looking andI found these double truss slotted control horns at Paragon RC: It appears they are the carbon fiber or fiberglass type that come with a few of the ARFs nowdays. I would like to use them on my 30% Sbach but will need to cut the slots. I'm not sure how hard it would be to cut into the hard points on my plane and how straight I could get the cuts. Has anybody done this or should I not attempt it?