Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Composite-Arf 33% Gee Bee R2 - First Flight - Pics - Videos - L@@K

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Composite-Arf 33% Gee Bee R2 - First Flight - Pics - Videos - L@@K

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 06:23 PM
Avaiojet

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Composite-Arf 33% Gee Bee R2 - First Flight - Pics - Videos - L@@K

I don't believe the #5 was an actual flying aircraft? Just a mark-up for the movie. I could be wrong.

I was told the Gee Bee Z flown in the movie had a fuselage that was extended 18". I believe it was built in FL. I don't remember by who, years ago and I'm old, but I have notes someplace? Not hard to find out.

The one that crashed in the opening seen was towed by a cable. The cable was visible in the actual footage, it can be seen along the ground.

I knew the late Don Neill. Don was a pioneer in the designing and building of a 33% Gee Bee Z model. Don's Gee Bee Z design was featured in Scale R/C Modeler in 90 or 91? I never hear anyone mention his name any more? Don said he built models for the movie? My interest was selfish. I purchased his 33% plans and fiberglass parts in 1991. Two sets actually. Bought specially turned scale aluminum hubs and wheels from some supplier, don't remember who, bought two sets.

Had my Z put together in a few years, but it's still got a way to go. I almost never get them done. I built and sold gear for Don's Gee Bee Z. I believe I sold two sets. 375.00 back then, made with no Warbird struts. I have one set left. As for Gee Bee graphics, been doing them for many years. Accurate? I try really hard doing research. Like me, I have really "old" books.

I have one complete framed 33% Gee Bee Z left. Probably never get around to finishing it. Tried to sell it once.

I built Haffke's Gee Bee E in the mid 80's. That needs a redo. I'll probably go with cream and green this time. Any Gee Bees I build in the future will be CL. My 1/5 Gee Bee Z was RC, it will be CL. CL models last longer.

BTW, Don's son, Gary, attempted to carry on with his father's work, but for whatever the reasons, Gary is no longer producing parts or plans. Unless I should be informed otherwise?

Don also offered the Hall Racer. Another popular model with builders.

A few years ago, I made two sets of R2 or R1 graphics for a builder, I believe in CA? He had built two Composite kits. He never sent photos? Anyone know who he might be? Sure would like to get those photos and find out how he made out with the model? Difficult getting photos.

I'm glad to see interest in the Golden Era, especially the Gee Bees. All you guys are inspiration. Thank you for that.

Old 10-09-2010, 04:06 PM
TheRickster
My Feedback: (12)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Concerning the ill handling of the Gee Bee with the dummy radial I went back to page 4 of this thread when Dingus had the full size spinner on his flamed R2...

Hey guys,
I test flew my Gee Bee this weekend and it did not go well! It was the hardest thing to do, just keeping it in the air. Almost uncontrolable. I can't for the life of me figure out what is going on. I built it to exact specs. I am waiting to here back from tech support in hopes they have an explanation. It seemed to be a thrust issue, it pulls hard to the right. I had to mix in left rudder in with the throttle, strange. The only thing I changed other than the paint job was to ad the big spinner, could that be it? I have flown 3 flights and each time I was lucky to get it back in one piece.
Removal of the spinner resulted in a perfect flying craft...

Rick
Old 10-09-2010, 04:49 PM
RichardGee
My Feedback: (156)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

RICK, You may HAVE something there!

I went from a DA150 down to a DA100 and one of the things I did to add much-needed noseweight was to add a heavy dummy radial... and my conclusion was that my DA100 powered Gee Bee was MUCH worse handling than my DA150 powered version that only had engine baffling and NO dummy radial.

Then, there is Hannes in Germany whose Gee Bee is an almost uncontrollable handful... what does it have in common with mine? Dummy Radial.

Add that to Dirty Dingus' spinner issue and you may very well be onto something with your theory![X(]

What do you think is behind the ill handling seemingly caused by the way air is directed through or around the cowl?
Do you think it is possible that the air is being so upset by the frontal area that it is actually going AROUND the tail and thus causing major directional stability issues??
Old 10-10-2010, 10:16 AM
rcnut101

Question for you GeeBee Experts?, How many degrees Dihedral is supposed to be in the in the wings? Thanks in advance.
Old 10-10-2010, 11:37 AM
hotrodblazer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This was discussed way back on page 10,Dirtydingus commented that his plane has 4 1/2 degrees per side.At least that was how I read it. You might go back to page 10 and read up on it yourself.
Speaking of which,Dirtydingus,how about a status report? You still planning to up the power level on yours?
Danny
Old 10-10-2010, 08:09 PM
TheRickster

According to the info directly from Pete Miller wing panel dihedral is 4.5*..

Also in response to the dummy radial altering the stabilty and moreso why it does..

Perhaps the blockage of the cowl exit disrupts the natural 3.5:1 aspect ratio of the fuse. The air being forced around the cowl might in essence increase the airfoil diameter thus altering the aspect ratio.. Also the cowling on the real GB's had a habit of breaking the cowl mounts and instead of rubbing the front of the fuse the cowl would come forward towards the prop, just opposite of what you would think. Tells me that the cowl is climbing foward due to lift being created which could only be from difference in air velocity between the airflow through versus over the cowl...

All this is speculation on my part though...

Rick
Old 10-10-2010, 08:25 PM
dirtydingus

Hey Guys.
I have found 4 degrees to be good but I think starting out at the proper 4.5 is the way to go as we all have different flying styles.
I have decided to go with the DA 170 and should be back in the air in the next couple of weeks.
Jim
Old 10-21-2010, 12:00 PM
CESSNA 421
My Feedback: (17)

Please see my "Wanted ad" for wanting to buy Compopsite ARF Gee Bee
Old 10-31-2010, 10:33 AM
TheRickster

I have been working on my tailwheel relocation.. I have pretty much got it done and am happy with how it turned out.. I moved the mount to behind the rudder bulkhead to put the wheel under the rudder hingeline like the R1 was.. IT is not perfect but it is closer than it would have been...

Old 10-31-2010, 11:04 AM
hannes83

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Great Job!!
Old 10-31-2010, 12:38 PM
hannes83

This week I got my KIT Nr.2 **

It´sa cold & long winter in Germany, so I´ll built a second Gee Bee R2

You never can have enough Gee Bee´s

Nr. 1 is for testing and learn the flight characteristic and Nr.2 will be a scale "Delmar Benjamin" replica**

Old 11-06-2010, 09:32 AM
hannes83

Step by Step**

Old 11-06-2010, 09:57 AM
hotrodblazer

Hannes,
Your work looks very good! I do a lot of fiberglass work and repair as part of my job,and I would have done the same thing as you.
In any crash or mishap, collect and save all pieces!
Keep at it, show us not to give up, and fly it again.
Danny
Old 11-06-2010, 10:04 AM
TheRickster

ORIGINAL: hotrodblazer

Hannes,
Your work looks very good! I do a lot of fiberglass work and repair as part of my job,and I would have done the same thing as you.
In any crash or mishap, collect and save all pieces!
Keep at it, show us not to give up, and fly it again.
Danny

Instead of playing on the internet you should be out in the garage working on said Gee Bee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rick
Old 11-07-2010, 02:20 PM
hannes83

I have a favor to ask you. Have anybody some pictures of Delmar Benjamin during he´s flying the Gee Bee and during he is sitting in it the last years?

I need the pictures to sent it to a factory in Germany, which built a 1/3Delmar Benjamin pilotfor my Gee Bee. The owner of the shop have to know witch shirt he wears, witch headset he´s using, flys he with sunglases, ...

He´ll take the pictures and create a pilot for me.

Can anybody help?

Here the link of the shop: http://www.scalepilots.com/

Here what I take as dashboard: http://www.noll-modelltechnik.de/cockpits_racer.htm

Old 11-11-2010, 09:50 PM
nexusdc5
My Feedback: (4)

Hello Everybody, Im brand new to this thread and am finding it very informative. I Found one of these beautiful planes on RCU Classifieds, Meeting up tomorrow night to buy it. Looking very much forward to start Building it. I too chose the RCS 250 for mine as well. Has anyone seen it fly with this engine yet? I just need to save for it is all. Well.... Ill check back soon.
Old 11-13-2010, 11:39 AM
hannes83

My 1/3 Dummy arrived**

Old 11-15-2010, 08:47 PM
rowdog_14
My Feedback: (5)

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

How much are the Comp Gee Bee Arfs
Old 11-15-2010, 10:26 PM
TorkRollN
My Feedback: (22)

Price is $1090 US plus shipping

You can order here:

http://carf-models.com/public_carf/p...ant&proId=1417

Barry
Old 11-16-2010, 07:39 PM
rowdog_14
My Feedback: (5)

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

MANNN! I was looking to build a 33% Wendell Hostetler gee bee, but after looking at all the prices total $1150+ for every and then considering build time. It is well work paying $1439+tax and shipping (including the gear in price) for a COMP ARF that is 31%. I have killed the idea of build one now. Well time to start saving the money!!!!!!
Old 11-18-2010, 02:03 PM
hannes83

Today my Decal Set arrived.

It´s made by Jörg Redl by www.jr-foliendesign.dein Germany. Price € 118.- Euro

Old 11-20-2010, 12:15 PM
hannes83

Today I did a flight. My Brother did a video.

Here you can see how bad the plane flys.

Up and Down, Up and down, left & right, left & right* And I don´t know what else**

What do you mean? To mutch weight at front? To mutch elevator? I dont know what´s to do

www.rcmovie.de/video/9ec7c6bd28ddf5f3a566/Gee-Bee-R2-v-CARF-v-Hannes-Lutzenberger

Old 11-20-2010, 12:46 PM
TheRickster

Was that with the Dummy radial in place or did you leave it out for this flight? Plane definitley looked pitch sensitive like it might need the CG moved forward a bit..Did you rebalance after all your repairs in the tail?

Rick
Old 11-21-2010, 06:39 AM
hannes83

The Dummy was in the plane and sure i checkd the CG for this flight.

Here the video in better quality on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NY8kH5UG_hM

Whats wrong?
Old 11-21-2010, 05:05 PM
TheRickster

I still feel that both yours and Richard's are both suffering from disrupted airflow from the dummy radial much like Dingus' plane did with the large spinner. He had control issues very similar to what yours is exhibiting and only rectified by removing/ reducing the spinner.

Notice in this vid of the GP GeeBee without any cowling and only having the flat fuse front it exhibits instability in all axis as well..

[link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqkbvYJjV4M&feature=related[/link]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.