Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Composite-Arf 33% Gee Bee R2 - First Flight - Pics - Videos - L@@K

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Composite-Arf 33% Gee Bee R2 - First Flight - Pics - Videos - L@@K

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 07:06 AM
RichardGee
My Feedback: (156)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: Composite-Arf 33% Gee Bee R2 - First Flight - Pics - Videos - L@@K

Brahm,

73-75mm back from the leading edge... anything else will bring you GRIEF

I have never balanced any airplane inverted... some of my RC buddies are surprised by this, but my theory is UNLESS I plan to spend most of my time airborn INVERTED, it makes little sense to balance the aircraft upside-down.. just sayin'

When do you anticipate a maiden?
Old 04-05-2013, 08:33 AM
xradarusa
My Feedback: (8)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the reply Brahm and Richard, I will rebalance mine and go for round two. Local field is a bit small, about the size of a postage stamp, you get real good at landing there. Probably head down to Shelton this time where they fly off of a real airport.

Brahm, keep us updated on any more flights. Thanks.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:04 AM
Brahm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I Wil certainly keep you guys up to date concerning the Hst Gee Bee, I have now aquired the Fibreclassics/Comparf Gee Bee, It is definately nessesarry to do the first flights of the Hst Gee Bee on a big a airfield as possible, just to get used to its mule like handling on takeoff.I did not initially contemplate another Gee Bee, but now having sold the Hst Gee Bee after a succesfull first flight, and seen the work Johannes has done, I look forward to make the Comparf one!!
Old 04-16-2013, 08:19 AM
hannes83

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Radial testflight

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dl0QGKWBfXA

Old 04-16-2013, 03:10 PM
126jp

What a beautiful sound Hannes!
Can't wait to hear it on your Gee Bee.

Jules
Old 04-18-2013, 11:20 AM
126jp

Richard, Hannes,
Did you folks happen to note the flying wire width of the Benjamin Gee Bee? From the picturesthey seem to be 3/4".
Sure would help if anyone could verify size.

Thx

Jules
Old 04-19-2013, 05:46 PM
RichardGee

Gee Bee gents,

For those using a 3W engine, you may want to consider concealing the exhaust outlets... Unfortunately, the way DA mounts the muffler through the exhaust pipe, I see no easy way to do this[]

I cut the down-pipes at 70 degrees, which results in the outlets lining up with the cowl opening. A local welder heli-arced them for me.
I then added thin aluminum heat shields and filled the exhaust cut-outs on the cowl. btw: Rustoleum Cherry Red matches the CARF Gee Bee red PERFECTLY.

I am looking forward to flying the airplane like this as the sound should be significantly different, AND, hopefully, the hot exhausts will eventually leave burn marks on the underside of the fuselage just like the full scale
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46351.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	161.5 KB
ID:	1874106   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs58984.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	1874107   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej14768.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	1874108   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tn32608.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	1874109   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ny25979.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	1874110   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ja40273.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	165.5 KB
ID:	1874111  
Old 04-19-2013, 07:05 PM
RichardGee

Jules,

The forward flying wires are actually 1 inch. The rear flying wires are 3/4 inch.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:45 PM
126jp

Thank you, Richard.
Old 04-20-2013, 01:43 AM
maneba

Hey Hannes, what is this? A new prototype maybe?

Stefano.
Old 04-20-2013, 01:59 AM
hannes83

Hi Stefano,

it´s a trainer plane to test the new radial for the Gee Bee incl. cowl and air cooling system

The plane is ugly, but it works great!

Hannes
Old 04-22-2013, 12:14 PM
hannes83

After checking the measures on Delmar´s Gee Bee and after weeks in the shop the new SCALE cowl is ready to fly!

One more scale detail which rised in fact of the cooperation of Richard & Hannes :-)

BIG THANK YOU to my friend Richard Geertson!!

Hope you like it guys**

Old 04-22-2013, 10:51 PM
brezel53

Wow ,

that´s really the shape of Delmar´s Gee Bee cowl!
And also the correct seams.

Great!

Wolfgang
Old 04-23-2013, 07:17 AM
Maxclimb
My Feedback: (61)

Thanks for the post, I will be using a 3W 157 CS in mine too. What brand are the mufflers you are using? I see your Mulligan in your picture, what size motor are you using?

Thanks,

Mike
Old 04-23-2013, 08:18 AM
RichardGee

Mike, IF I remember correctly these are JOHNSON mufflers with the smoke taps.
They really allow the 18HP CS to BREATH... but NOT much "muffling" going on...

And if you REALLY want your Gee Bee to HOWL, use a XOAR 'Silver Sword' 30x12... the combination will wake the dead!!!

But at the end of the day, as my buddy Hannes likes to say, "It's a GEE BEE race plane, not a Cub"[8D]

At present, my Mr. Mulligan is motor-less. It has been flown with a DA100, but right now is being fitted for something else...
Mike, I looked again at the photo, and YES, the Mulligan does have an engine... an Evolution 9-99 glow radial. This is the engine I had intended to finally install and fly, but honestly, my tolerance for GLOW is gone[]

I was first hooked on this hobby THANKS to the smell of castor and methanol and have run every type and size of glow engine. For the past 7-10 years I have not used glow, only gas and small electrics. Returning to glow is simply not my cup o' tea at this stage of the game. So, looking for something else to mount under the cowl of the Mulligan... Not 100% decided yet.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:38 AM
126jp

Fellas,
Just spoke w/ Steve Wolf, what a blast!Encyclopedic knowledge.
Delmar & he had the same difficulties as I am having finding out if the R series had wingtip washout. The plans didn't specify, and even Pete Miller didn't remember. So they rigged, from root to tip, 1.5 degrees washout in the wings of the R2.He said the ship still had a fairly violent tip stall.
The curator and head of restorations at the San Diego Air & Space Museum said that to the best of his knowledge no washout was built into theirnon-flyingR1 replica built fromthe original plans.Now, building washout into the R series type of wing construction ain't easy; rigging must be perfect and held dead solid as the wing is sheeted then the glue allowed to cure—you can't just simply twist the wings with the tie-rods (correct name for flying and landing along w/ inter-wing anti-drag wires I've learned).When I mentioned this and asked if the builders, knowing the airplane was never going to fly, would have forgone this process, he said he didn't know but my concern was valid.Hmm.
I am still waiting to hear from the New England Air Museum as they too built a non-flying replica of an R1.
Sooooo. . .there you are.Just in case anyone here would like to know.

Anyone know if washout is built into the CARF Gee Bee's wings?
Regards to all.
Jules
Old 04-26-2013, 09:10 AM
RichardGee

Jules,

I have no idea if wing wash out was used on the Gee Bee racers and find it strange that even Howell Miller did not remember?!
However, it also seems odd that Steve Wolf would state that the Gee Bee had “violent†tip stall characteristics, as Delmar quite clearly states after the maiden that the airplane stalls at 100mph indicated, but falls straight forward. He even states that is does NOT drop a wing tip when it stalls… so I am not understanding why Steve would say that it did exhibit violent tip stalling?

IF what he meant was that the airplane exhibits aileron reversal at low speeds and high angles of attack, that would align with what Delmar had reported and experienced.

Flying Gee Bee models, especially the CARF, I have NEVER experienced what I would call a “tip stall†and I must admit I have slowed the airplane too much, too many times for landing. Like what Delmar described, it just falls out of the sky, straight forward, but with a burst of throttle, it recovers quickly.

Some wash out couldn’t hurt – it might allow more of a 3-point than a wheel landing. Just remember the one time Delmar attempted a 3-point, he almost destroyed the Gee Bee!
Old 04-26-2013, 10:22 AM
126jp

Hey Richard,
Yeah, I wish I had remembered what Delmar said in the book.I would have asked about it.But, it's whatSteve said. Go figure.
I too thought it strange that Miller didn't remember the washout detail, but then again I sometimes forget my firstborn's . . . oh wait, I forgot, I have no children.You're young yet Richard, but you'll see.
I also asked Steve why Delmar states that the Gee Bee does not like to loop.He replied that it's not so much that it didn't like to loop but rather that the pull out at the bottom is critical (of course it is) and a high speed stall possible and Delmar didn't want to chance the maneuver at the low altitude he usually flew in shows.Steve said that at altitude it'd loop all day.
Steve also passed on neat tidbits;
· Coupled w/ the gear pants and spats, the fuselage offers much more surface area than the wings, consequently he could fly knife edge at lower speeds than that at which he would shoot final approach.He said Delmar joked if he ever broke a wing wire he'd simply land knife edge.
· The pin striping was actually dark blue.
· In a picture where Delmar cuts ribbons inverted he could tell that the flying wires (positive wires) sagged and he was glad that the negative wires were slightly oversize due to a delivery error.I'm going to look at that picture in the book to see if I can tell, though it may not be the same one he was talking about.
Just a fun guy to talk to.
Super glad to hear the CARF Gee Bee stalls gently.I don't want to tell you how many times I've watched your dead-stick video.I wish the cameraman had filmed the few seconds immediately after engine out, I would have liked to have seen your maneuver.Man did win that day!That wasn't an H. Upman you lighted up after was it?I haven't smelled one of those since I left Cuba.Or was that stogie in another video?
Regards,
Jules
Old 04-26-2013, 01:24 PM
RichardGee

Jules,

In celebration of Man vs. Gee Bee, my cigar of choice was a Hoyo de Monterey, Prensado Oscuro. Of all the cigars I have tried, from cheap Dime Store to $50 Cuban, THIS cigar is my favorite... and at $5-$9 per stick, it is affordable even AFTER building a CARF

On my dead stick, I think the camera man was immediately thinking he would help me out by grabbing a cart to go out and pick up the pieces, but what you missed was me allowing the airplane to SINK LIKE A STONE!! My primary concern was SPEED! I was lucky that not much correction was needed to head back towards the field, but I knew that trying to stretch my glide in any way would spell DISASTER so I just let the plane fall while maintaining heading and a reasonable pitch attitude. Just before touch down I had to apply all available elevator and I guess I was just lucky that the physics gods were with me that day...
Old 04-27-2013, 01:28 PM
126jp

Anyone notice the CARF Gee Bee is undergoing factory mods and is not presently available?

Old 04-27-2013, 06:21 PM
RichardGee

The mighty Gee Bee defies gravity yet again...
My new exhausts worked just fine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG56Zbz4FWc
Old 04-27-2013, 09:22 PM
tridente

it sounds very nice
Old 04-27-2013, 09:53 PM
RichardGee

Danke
Old 04-27-2013, 10:00 PM
hannes83

Good flight buddy, but it still needs a radial ;-)
Old 04-29-2013, 12:16 PM
RichardGee

I'm working on it...[8D]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.