Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Composite-Arf 33% Gee Bee R2 - First Flight - Pics - Videos - L@@K

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Composite-Arf 33% Gee Bee R2 - First Flight - Pics - Videos - L@@K

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2005, 11:51 PM
Thunderbolt47
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Composite-Arf 33% Gee Bee R2 - First Flight - Pics - Videos - L@@K

Hey Wayne, have you got your Z in the air yet?
Old 06-05-2005, 07:13 PM
wayneparrish
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kelly, Yep,Dee Dee ,Rick and I went to Fayettville today and I got two good flights in. It flies very good but I have the Mac way overpropped with a 26-10 3W . It turns static 5400 and should be round 6000 . I'll try another club on it but it lands in half the distance that the big R-2 does. I just got my new Composite -ARF R-2 in yesterday and its really nice work and will come out about 20 + lbs lighter than the 33 % builtup version. It wil be a great goer also since the same powerplant thats (was ) on the 33% is going on it and you know how it hauled that big bird !! Loo forward to seeing you soon. If you need to, you can reach me at [email protected] . I monitor my e-mails more than the RCU site. Wayne
Old 06-05-2005, 08:39 PM
vatechguy3
My Feedback: (11)

wayne,

can you give some specifics about your buddy's setup with the radial, as far as prop size, how it balanced out, servos, prop, etc.

i've been wanting a big geebee with a radial!!

thanks,
tony
Old 06-06-2005, 06:58 AM
mvigod
Banned

Great looking plane. Just needs a few RCU Meatball logos on it to complete the scale look

enjoyed the videos. nice job.
Old 06-06-2005, 07:29 AM
Kregg
My Feedback: (45)

Wayne,
Thanks for your post! Its great to hear first hand from a R2 flier and someone experienced with the CA R2. I sent you a e-mail. I hope we can follow your build and flying hear on this thread.
Thx,
Kregg
Old 06-06-2005, 11:05 AM
Cobra1
My Feedback: (42)

This is so timely. I have an older CA GB-R2 with a DA 150 in it as well. I have not flown mine yet, (job change and had to move) but it is good to see that the combo flys well. I will keep up with this site. Thanks. Here is a picture of mine.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nk28198.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	281138  
Old 06-06-2005, 08:12 PM
wayneparrish

Cobra, Nice looking job,when are you expecting to fly it and what did the weight come out to ? Thanks Wayne You can e-mail me direct at [email protected] if you'd like.
Old 06-06-2005, 08:23 PM
wayneparrish

Kregg, I didn't get your e-mail yet so you may want to try again. [email protected] Wayne
Old 06-08-2005, 07:41 AM
Cobra1

I will try to get around to weighing it this weekend and let you know.
Old 06-08-2005, 07:59 AM
Kregg

Wayne, I sent the e-mail to you twice? I do not know what the problem is. I will post my e-mail message hear:

I'm very interested in getting the CA R2 but I need some reassurance on several issues.

You mentioned that the CA R2 was going to be 20 pounds less that the built up version!?! Can that be correct? A earlier post indicated a flight weight of 35 pounds with a DA150 on the CA R2. Does that sound about right? I wonder how the balancing worked out on that one. I have an extra DA100 just waiting for a home, but the last thing I want is a underpowered R2 that has a bunch of lead in the nose to make her balance out. I would rather add motor weight that lead. My Pitts 12 weights about 37 pounds and flies WAY over the top for power with a DA150, but a DA100 would be underpowered for my likes. The R2 at about 30ish pounds could possibly work with the DA100.

Landing room is my next question. I'm not sure of my fields length, but it might be a bit short. My big 35% Pitts 12 uses most of it on a regular basis. I have never flown a Gee Bee, but have always wanted one. I'm a experienced giant scale flier, but this one is a bit intimiating.

I have so many questions that I could make your head spin. I would love to follow your build of this aircraft. It would be perfect if you posted your progress on this RCU thread and I could fire questions and praise your direction on a regular basis. This goes for anyone flying one of these aircraft as well. Please chime in if you have hands on experience with the CA R2.
Old 06-08-2005, 01:33 PM
wayneparrish

Cobra, Is the fiberglass firewll that bolts to the front flange on the fuse. the only thing that holds the motor ? I haven't had a chance to actually read the manual yet so it's probably in that. Thanks Wayne
Old 06-08-2005, 08:22 PM
wayneparrish

Does anyone have info on the C/A Gee Bee request in the manual to move the gear forward 7/8 of an inch ? I thought I had read somewhere in an old post that they had moved it 1"forward. If they know the gear needs to be moved ,then why in the H&%# didn't they do it at the factory ?? If you move it forward you will have to re-cut the relief it the root end of the composite wing for clearnce. That leaves the molded in relief needing to be filled or just have two relief areas !!! VERY POOR !! Also the glue joints are popping loose on the formers and will need "ME" to re-glue all of them!!! VERY POOR !!. So far if I had known this ,I would NOT have bought it !!!!!!! I always thought that when yu bought something you were suppose to get what you pay for. NOT IN THIS CASE SO FAR !! There are other issues in this arf that I won't go into right now but be rest assured I will post what feedback I get back from Composite ARF. Andy Kane ,my rep from them has been very resposive and helpful,BUT this is not Andy's problem,its C/F's problem. Wayne Parrish
Old 06-09-2005, 06:10 AM
Cobra1

As far as the fiberglass firewall, yes the engine bolts to it and it is bolted to the fuse. Make sure you get it oriented correct as it has right thrust built in to it.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:59 AM
wayneparrish

cobra, Do you mind e-mailing me as I have a couple of questions about this animal. Thanks [email protected]
Old 06-10-2005, 08:05 AM
wayneparrish

Got some feedback from Andy Kane and by the way he has been VERY responsive to my questions and concerns. He explained that the reason I'm not getting a response from C/ARF is that they are on vacation and of course being that area of the world,they shut it all down ! Can't really say that I fault them too much for doing it that way. Things are looking somewhat up and I am waiting to get an answer on whether the gear has to be moved forward or not. If anyone has a later version of this bird ,could they post a dimension from the leading edge of the wing to the center of the front gear attach bolt please. Maybe I was a little premature in jumping C/ARF about the problem or two,but,you still expect for a manual to be clear and glue joints to be good. Updates will be forthcoming. Wayne
Old 06-10-2005, 01:18 PM
jongurley
My Feedback: (29)

Hey WayneParrish this is Jonathan Gurley,, I have got to get by Piedmont and see that GeeBee fly,,You know my uncle well, James Cox, he said he spoke to you at Johnny's hobby shop in Fuquay the other night, I would love to take my Wildhare Extra down there to Fayetteville and fly with you guys one Sunday, and see the GEEBEE,, what kind of motor are you running on the GEEBEE, James told me you had a big one,
Old 06-12-2005, 09:03 PM
wayneparrish

Jonathan, We would love to have you come to the Piedmont field. I have retired the 33% Hostetler GB . It just weighed so much ,52lbs., that it ate the whole 700 ft runway up and needed more at times. I am currently working on a 30% Composite /ARF GB R-2 and hope to have it flying in a month or so. It will have the same STRONG 3-w 120 on it tat was on the 33% and will weigh about 20 lbs less !!!! That big 33 % 52 lb. bohemoth flew like a rocket so the new one should be as good and better. Keep in touch and I'll try to e-mail you and let you know when we're ready. E-mail me at [email protected] . Take care of James and bring him with you. Wayne
Old 06-13-2005, 11:23 AM
Hope_For_The_Best
My Feedback: (2)

Fellow Fliers,

Thanks for your interest in my questions [thread above]. I regret the unfortunate delay in my response, as I have "been out of town on business" for the last several months and my email provider wouldn't permit logging onto this site.

To answer questions concerning progress with my CA GB R-2, it goes like this: Progress was stalled in mid-January upon my departure. Until that time I successfully sourced most bits of hardware, including the recommended landing gear legs & wheels, servos, graphics, fuel tank, engine, etc. Among the things done was to trim, or "chamfer" the Sullivan 7" wheel/tire combo (as recommended by the Assy Manual addendum) to permit greater clearance between tires & gear legs. The chore was delayed by the need to acquire a rotary table for my drill press, and I finished one tire before I left town; the second waits until my return. Second, I replaced the steel axles with titanium rod, and added caged ball bearings to the wheels. The perceived need for both mods (axle & bearings) was to lighted the gear and add greater wobble-control to the Sullivan wheel nylon hubs. No other preparation or assembly work has been completed beyond that stated.

One added change in the configuration was replacement of the on-hand DA-150 with a Robart 780. This change was made for reason that the recommended Seidel ST525 was not then available--the DA would work fine, but I believe had too much power for the need [please, no "flames" for this perspective]--and the Robart has much the same weight/power as the Seidel. Besides, there was this opportunity I just couldn't refuse. . .

Work will resume upon my return to town in early August. Until then, thanks for your consideration & get out there and fly. Take advantage of your great opportunity and enjoy it!

VR
Jack
Old 06-14-2005, 09:07 PM
wayneparrish

Jack, I would reccomend you throw the wheels in the garbage or use them for a Cub,maybe . Get a set of the C.B.Associates wheels from Sig and you will have the proper wheel for this bird,in my opinion. I have been using the CB wheels for as long as I can remember them being made and have literally worn them out with NO problems from them. NOTE: Before somebody jumps me with the news that CB is out of business,yes they did stop but are now back producing products,ACCORDING to SIG MFG . Now back to the reason the CB wheel is best. I have been flying GB a/c for many years and the one problem that was finally discovered was the tires being TOO soft and they will lay over against the ldg.gear yokes and trip itself,resulting in a damaged fin area. I have been flying a 52 lb Hostetler 33% and it has about 35 flights on it with NO gear or wheel problems !! Try that with a Sullivan wheel and you will find out very quickly it won't be a good situation when landing. The bushings wear out very quickly on the Sullivan also. I am currently building a Composite /ARF 30% and am using 6 1/2 " dia. CB Associates wheels ,same as on the 33% version,and the same as on my 33% Hostetler Z model. Simply the best wheel for the money out there. Also,why are you worrying about keeping the weight down forward of the c.g when you will probably need to add weight to the nose anyway. If you would like you can e-mail me direct at [email protected] and I would be glad to discuss further. Don't get me wrong,Im just trying to save you some worry and heartache ,not tell you what to do. Wayne
Old 06-15-2005, 11:52 AM
Hope_For_The_Best

Wayne,

Thanks for the feedback on wheel/tire situation--I will check out your recommended solution. Reutilization of my Sullivan wheels on a Cub is a non-start, however, as I already have the needed 4" wheels for my 1/4 scale Cub.

To explain the mod CA recommended, and what I achieved, it seems clear that very little "wobble room" was available once the wheel/tire combination was mounted in the optional gear. Once chamfered there is ample room to wobble. My added mod of installing bearings on both side of the hubs makes the wheel more stable on the axle (the replacement titanium axles are a thousandth or two larger in diameter than the supplied steel axles, and the larger diameter may also help).

Again thanks for your insight. I appreciate it.

VR
Jack
Old 06-15-2005, 09:54 PM
wayneparrish

Jack, What gear are you using on yours,the factory gear or Sierra Precision ? If you're using the factory ger I have a suggestion you may be interested in. The C/A manual says to use the "small wire",whatever that is to keep the spring strut from falling out when there is no weight on it. I modified mine to have a slot in the strut piston with a socket head cap screw thru the aluminum strut barrel that rides into the slot I milled into the strut piston. If you're using the factory struts ,e-mail me and I'l talk more about it. I got my wings installed today and its on the gear and will install the flying wires next. Hope to have it flying in a couple of weeks or so. Wayne
Old 06-16-2005, 12:56 PM
Hope_For_The_Best

Wayne,

My landing gear solution is the optional CA gear (didn't know there were others), and was one of the last sets from Composite-Arf that supplied a tail wheel hanger. I understand the tail wheel hanger is no longer part of the kit.

I did read (out of context) that one should 'wire the top of gear to the bottom of gear' to prevent gear separation. I tested the potential for separation in my workroom, and it is a viable risk. However, I made effort yet to accomplish that wiring together (I thought a thread of 0.030" S/S safety wire would be sufficient). Machining slots and inserting bolts? Nah; I had not gone there (still don't have a milling machine in my little workroom), but it sounds interesting.

A couple of weeks to finish & fly? Way cool! I won't be off this job for six more weeks, and won't be in your neck of the woods to look at it for a while. Good luck!

VR
Jack
Old 06-16-2005, 04:48 PM
wayneparrish

Jack , I f you will send me an e-mail I will send you a pic of the slot system. If you want to send them to me i will slot them for you and get the pivot point cleaned out and working properly. The socket head cap screw that anchors the spring piston housing to the gear is not,at least not on mine, clearanced so that it will swivel ever so sligtly at the bolt. the bolt also needs to be Loctited and safety wired in place as it takes real beating. Let me know. Wayne
Old 07-28-2005, 08:24 AM
wayneparrish

UPDATE : Well the R-2 should be ready to fly next weekend ,August 6th . It has been somewhat of a hunt and peck build as the manual is very poor for this kit and would have been quicker if it had been better. I understand that the factory is possibly working on a manual for it. As far as the quality of the kit and how its shaping up,I'm very happy.I will have to say that C/Arf and my rep,Andy Kane have both been very responsive on the concerns I have had. I will weigh it and post the results probably next week. I may even have a pic or two . I will keep you updated if you are interested. In the case of questions on the build or whatever,give me an e-mail and I will be glad to help. My address is : [email protected] Have a great weekend. Wayne
Old 07-28-2005, 09:41 AM
Kregg

Thanks for the update Wayne. Yes, keep us informed as you move forward. Pix, weight, flight report..... You will help me decide on my next project!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.