Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Balsa USA 1/3 Scale Sopwith Pup

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Balsa USA 1/3 Scale Sopwith Pup

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2003, 11:49 PM
airplaneron

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Balsa USA 1/3 Scale Sopwith Pup

I just bought a Balsa USA 1/3 Scale Sopwith Pup and am going to power it with a Fugi 64. I was wondering if anybody out there that owns this plane would care to share there flying experiences with this aircraft. This is my first giant scale plane and my first Bi-plane. So any comments on these subjects and the Sopwith Pup would be appreciated. Thank You- Ron
Old 08-09-2003, 02:20 AM
ramboamt
My Feedback: (36)

Default WW1 Aircraft, The only way to fly!

Hi Ron,

I have the Balsa USA 1/3 pup also. It is powered by a Zenoah G-62 with a Prop Speed Reduction Unit ( PSRU ) on it turning a Bolly 30 X 10 prop. The bird weighs approx. 32 Lbs.

Yep it is a little heavy as this is the prototype bird, for the four other birds a friend of mine and I are building with the fourth fuselage being modified into the Sopwith Triplane, that contains approx. 40% original Balsa USA parts.
I changed the fuselage stringers from balsa to aircraft spruce, changed the wing spars from redwood to spruce and I have a fully functional landing gear with balloon tires. The bird is covered in Stitts Polyfiber glider cloth. It has 1/3 scale turnbuckles, that I manufacture, for the flying and landing wires for the wing and center section and the landing gear spreader. The elevator and rudder use a Pull-Pull cable system for control surface control.

The radio system used is a JR system with TWO Rx for a split flight control system, Rx #1 controls R/H aileron, R/H elevator and Throttle and the #2 Rx controls the L/h aileron, L/H elevator and Rudder, this is done in case one Rx system goes down you still have control of the Aircraft.

As for flight characteristics since it is a tail dragger it does NOT like cross winds, and I do mean NOT, for takeoffs or landings. You must always takeoff and land with a head wind until you get some stick time on it and learn the quirks of a tail dragger "KITE" thats right this is a big kite. My pup takes about ten feet to takeoff and that is at 1/3 throttle.

Other than that it is a big floater and the winds will push it around so you should do your first flights in " 0 " ZERO " winds or if it is a little windy make sure they are head winds for takeoffs and landings.
Hope this helps! :spinnyeye
Old 08-10-2003, 10:14 PM
airplaneron

Default Balsa USA 1/3 Scale Sopwith Pup

Thanks for the info and it was interesting reading about your planes and the modifications you made. - Ron
Old 09-09-2003, 02:01 AM
jlsimon
My Feedback: (164)

Default RE: WW1 Aircraft, The only way to fly!

Richard,

I'm working on a 1/3 scale Pup as well and I'm interested in the PSRU you used on the G62. Who makes it and where did you get it?

Thanks

Jerry
Old 09-09-2003, 06:45 AM
pettit
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Balsa USA 1/3 Scale Sopwith Pup

Flew a friends 1/3 Pup last Sunday. It weighs 37 lbs and has almost 8 pounds of lead in the nose for balance. Probably too much since it seemed to fly nose heavy, which is better than the opposite!

Power is a Quadra 75 turning a 24-6 prop. It needs more aileron and elevator throw than that shown on the plan. Try to get at least 2" up aileron and the same on elevator. The rudder is VERY effective and that allowed most of the turning since the ailerons just made the plane "lean".

Here's a photo:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80488.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	60180  
Old 03-17-2004, 07:05 PM
Capt. Crackup
My Feedback: (1)

Dick, Where did youget your 24x6 prop????What brand is it? I also fly a 1/3 pup....With a Fuji 64. I am currently spinning a 24x8 zinger, but I believe a better choice would be a 24x6...Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Name:	Om33545.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	112527   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn39893.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	112528   Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33922.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	112529  
Old 04-23-2004, 10:14 AM
Wounded

What are you guys covering your pup with? Other than the spoke wheels what else did you need to buy to make it a compelete kit?

Thank Jeff
Old 04-25-2004, 10:43 PM
eagledancer

I also have a 1/3 pup, 31 lbs built close to plans, no scale detail except i did use some thin alum. on forward section of plane, i covered mine with sig koverall and painted with auto paints, i did not clear coat to keep a dull finish. i have a g-62 in mine and its off the ground in 20 feet at half throttle. its a real floater. yes ALWAYS TAKE OFF AND LAND INTO THE WIND! and ramboamt is quite right for first few flights go for no wind conditions to get feel for her, gusty winds and landings are NOT FUN! but it is so cool to see her float in for a landing at a speed you can walk faster than.
good luck with her
if i would have chance to build again i would change a few things, one is landing gear to more scale araingement to take up the loads of landing shock. and would change wing mounting a little ( a nose over and wings try to keep going, and stresses wires)
good luck with her i think you will love her.
Old 05-04-2004, 10:06 PM
JUAN INTERIANO

RON
I HAVE A 15 YEARS OLD BALSA USA PUP. THE AIRPLANE HAVE A QUADRA 50 TURNING A 24 X 6 ZINGER PROP, COVER WITH TISSUE AND DOPE, THE AIRPLANE FLIGHT LAKE A TRAINER BUT IN A NO WIND CONDITION, THIS MACHINE DON'T LIKE CROSS WINDS. I LIVE IN LA CEIBA HONDURAS CENTRAL AMERICA
SALUDOS AMIGO
JUAN INTERIANO

Name:	Hf97522.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	129266   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa87308.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	129267  
Old 05-19-2004, 11:16 AM
airbatic

Hello Fellow Pup owners.

I flew my 1/3 Pup Sunday, May 16th, 2004. Goodness! It's so different than a mono-highwing like my Cub. It took off somewhat like the cub; tail up and up-up-and-away he went. But that was my mistake. I was thinking Cub. Once Stanley, the Pup, got up higher, controlling was different as if I was overcontrolling the movements. I got to shaking more than a man on death row. You'd think the Three Stooges were flying Stanley. After five minutes I said that's enough. I made my approach and then from the rear came the wind. I did land but the rearward wind flipped Staley rudder over head. No damage except the rudder's tip broke. I cannot wait till Saturday as he's going up again. I WILL conquer the biplane's different charateristics.

Kraus
Old 09-28-2004, 03:46 AM
Alistair

Hi
I'm building the 1/3 scale balsa usa sopwith pup and putting up details and pics of the build on a website www.planecrazy.co.uk the site itself is still in its early stages but the pup building pics are there (up to where we've got to) and it should be flying summer 2005 I hope the pics will help anyone else building the balsa usa Sopwith Pup 1/3 scale
Old 09-28-2004, 06:32 AM
H. Wayne S
My Feedback: (18)

Why the "Thumbs Down" on your subject title block ?
Old 09-28-2004, 02:41 PM
Hinckley Bill
My Feedback: (569)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Friend of mine and I recently acquired Balsa USA Pup's......going to modify the wing attachments to make more "user friendlY"....

Wondering what wheels everyone used, as the 6 5/8" set that I got with my kit are 1) not scale, 2) way to heavy...

Appreciate the information..

Bill
Old 09-30-2004, 11:21 PM
ramboamt
My Feedback: (36)

ORIGINAL: jlsimon

Richard,

I'm working on a 1/3 scale Pup as well and I'm interested in the PSRU you used on the G62. Who makes it and where did you get it?

Thanks

Jerry
Hi Jerry sorry for not getting back to you sooner[]. The PSRU is from Mick Reeves in England. I got it off of Ebay but I have contacted Mr. reeves and he does sell them direct to the colonies. Here is the URL to his web site:

http://www.mickreevesmodels.co.uk/

Hope this helps.
Old 07-18-2006, 07:47 AM
silver_cloud_3
My Feedback: (56)

I just acquired a balsa 1/3 scale pup with zenoah G62 electronic ignition. understand the control throws about 2" on aileron and elevator? anyone with information please reply. also, what kind of nose weight, if any, is required on this bird? thnx
Old 08-27-2006, 12:47 PM
Reini
My Feedback: (2)

Hello together,
i bought a Sopwith pup 2nd hand.
A Zenoah ZG38 is inserted with PSRU (Tony clark). Do you think this is enough power? Most of you fly 62ccm with PSRU...
I must insert 4 pounds of Lead, to reach the cg. (8 zoll from upper nose). Do you think this flight weight will be to heavy in the end?
Does everybody fly with a cg of 8 zoll?
thanks Reini
from switzerland
(sorry for my english...)
Old 08-28-2006, 04:03 PM
silver_cloud_3

I flew the sopwith pup finally, and did OK...everyone's is right, it HATES GUSTY CONDITIONS!!! I must have had ten go arounds until just right for landing. Landed too fast it nosed over. No damage. I fly at a field that is only 280 feet long and always with a gusty crosswind. Not fun. I would be interested in knowing about others with this aircraft, that have redesigned the wing attachments. I really do not like the wire only thing. The full scale ship had a spar carried through the fuse. The Ralph Cunningham G 62 is ample power and a terrific powerplant ! Anybody please let me know anytime if you have devised a better wing attachment system. [email protected]
Old 08-28-2006, 04:08 PM
silver_cloud_3

hi, just flew mine for the first time. I have 3 LBS on the firewall, and its plenty. As a matter of fact, is slightly nose heavy which can be a liability if you land too fast, the nose attitude is forward and tips. the ship weighs 33 lbs. DON'T FLY IT IN GUSTY CONDITIONS, IT'S A NIGHTMARE.
Old 08-28-2006, 07:40 PM
mogman

My pup is about 20years old now, g62, zinger 24x8, 35lbs. Lots of fun to fly. Pretty well standard BUSA kit {ididn't build it , just aquired it about 15 yrs ago] Best plane i have for windy conditions!! just a blast to fly. Cross wind t/off and landing no problem at all. Just remember to keep the tail down when landing and keep an eye on the rigging wires, and make the strut X-bracing functional, makes a big difference.
Cheers, Dave.
Old 08-28-2006, 07:59 PM
eagledancer

best advise i can give for gusty conditions, land tail high keep your speed up a bit, blip the throttle on the roll out if she thinks of nosing over. i have flown mine in up to 30 mph winds with gusts of 35-40, yep on that day i landed at 3/4 throttle made 3 passes until everything was just right and set her down.
i now have enough time on this bird i will take off and land with up to a 10mph crosswind. but you got to stay on the rudder!!!
the only other thing i can think of is do most of your turns with rudder using aileron just enough to start the turns. yep this girl likes rudder input. sorry if i upset any bank and yank flyers out there......this is just not that type of bird
Old 08-28-2006, 11:42 PM
taildragger21
My Feedback: (197)

Anybody got one for sale?? I would love an airframe or rtf since I'm not a kit builder.. I have been wanting an old nostalgic, lumbering floater that is HUGE!!! Love these things
Old 08-29-2006, 12:20 AM
Reini

Thanks for your replies!
They will help me very much to do my maiden flight.

Where is the cg in Your Sopwith pup's 1/3??

Thanks
Reini
Old 08-29-2006, 06:56 AM
silver_cloud_3

The CG on the 1/3 scale pup is 8 inches back from the leading edge of the top wing. I found with too much weight on the firewall, the airplane had a tendency to nose over. Now, I have to fly this thing on an aircraft carrier type strip so cannot come in too fast or you go off the end. What a lousy field. Anyway, found that with about 1/4 throttle and slightly nose down on final holds a decent glideslope, then kill the power as you flare. Rudder is important, just like all my big biplanes. You can barrel roll it, takes a good amount of forward stick while inverted. Still looking for anyone who has made a wing attachment conversion, other than just wires.
Old 08-29-2006, 02:20 PM
Reini

Hello silver_cloud_3,
thanks for your input. Good idea with the strips, i never heared that bevor!!
You wrote
The CG on the 1/3 scale pup is 8 inches back from the leading edge of the top wing. I found with too much weight on the firewall, the airplane had a tendency to nose over.
Does it mean, you fly it a little bit tail heavy (cg backwards, without problems) ???

I think the barrel rolls are for next year... i hope she's still alive in 2007....

Sorry, i cant help you for the attachment conversion.

Thanks
Reini
Old 08-29-2006, 03:53 PM
silver_cloud_3

I have 3 lbs of lead on the firewall, then I put 6 ounces of lead way at the tail by the skid. Now, when you come in to land she sits down nicely, and if you're alittle fast, which will cause a nose down attitude, instead of going over forward, that tiny bit of tail weight you added helps the tail fall to the runway and get you stopped. I have noticed with this "lifty" winged beauty, that alittle elevator goes A LONG LONG WAY! Don't over flare it , the damned thing will keep flying till its hardly moving forward!!! Then, BANG. Have fun with your Sopwith.