Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

DA 100 or 120?

Been a while since I posted. And after two years of not flying I am getting the bug.
    I have an older aeroworks (world models) Katana 36% 106'' ws. The weight with the old engine was 27lbs. The old engine was a 3W 106 QZ, with cans.

I had a DA50 in my EF Yak and I loved it. Never a problem. So I want to put a DA in my Katana. It flew well with the 3W 106. A bit sluggish pulling out of a hover.
    Would the 120 with canisters or tuned pipes be too much for this airframe? I love sick power...lol.

Any other suggestions for gas power?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: DA 100 or 120?

DA-120, 1 year down the road you won't be kicking yourself in the %*& for buying the 100 instead of the 120

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

DLE 111.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

smooth as silk!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

While the DLE-111 seems to be a pretty good engine especially for the price, I seriously doubt that it could run with the 3W 106QZ in any event....

The DA-120 is a horse and would give you some more punch, I doubt it would be "overpowered" as I don't really think that's possible at least for my tastes in aerobats....

The one issue you may have is that the new DA is substantially lighter than the 3W so you may have some CG issues to address. Since the Aeroworks models tend to be a bit on the heavy side anyway, adding more power should definitely be a bonus to the way it flew with the 3W.
    Zeeb

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

27lbs isn't a very heavy airframe. If you have the $$ then just go DA-120. If you wish to save some $$ and still have pretty good power, go DLE-111.

Personally I think buying the DA-100 is a waste of money right now, but that's just me!
    35% H9 Extra 300 - DLE-111 | 33% Lanier Yak 54 - DL-100 | 30% Peak Edge 540T - DLE-55 | SkyWalker Long Range FPV

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Interesting. Can u elaborate on why one should not consider da100?
    Where facts are few, experts are many.
    Perfection is God\'\'\'\'s business.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Because in my honest opinion it's exactly what rcairflr says:

ORIGINAL: rcairflr

DA-120, 1 year down the road you won't be kicking yourself in the %*& for buying the 100 instead of the 120
    Having more power is never ever a bad thing, especially because the weight penalty is next to nil. The DA100 is a good engine, but it's simply a power output vs $$ issue. The DLE-111 will serve you well and is ~10% more powerful than the DA100 for nearly 1/2 the price. If you were going to buy the DA100 for the big sum of money, why not just spend a little extra and get the 120? You'll be glad you have the best at the end of the day.

Just boils down to $$. If you want to save I'd personally grab a 111. If you want the best, no regrets, high resale value, and the current market koolade, pick the 120.

Hope that makes sense! You wont go wrong with any of these choices bottom line. The 100 has been and will continue to be a great performing, reliable engine.
    35% H9 Extra 300 - DLE-111 | 33% Lanier Yak 54 - DL-100 | 30% Peak Edge 540T - DLE-55 | SkyWalker Long Range FPV

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Eganwp

Having more power is never ever a bad thing, especially because the weight penalty is next to nil. The DA100 is a good engine, but it's simply a power output vs $$ issue. The DLE-111 will serve you well and is ~10% more powerful than the DA100 for nearly 1/2 the price. If you were going to buy the DA100 for the big sum of money, why not just spend a little extra and get the 120? You'll be glad you have the best at the end of the day.

Just boils down to $$. If you want to save I'd personally grab a 111. If you want the best, no regrets, high resale value, and the current market koolade, pick the 120.

Hope that makes sense! You wont go wrong with any of these choices bottom line. The 100 has been and will continue to be a great performing, reliable engine.
    I agree, my next engine will be a DA120 and you forgot one thing, resale will be much better on the DA-120

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for the help. I am leaning toward the DA 120.
    Love gobs of power.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

What "weight penalty"? The new DA-120 is lighter than even a DA-100L and it's actually almost a pound lighter than the standard DA-100. The standard DA-100 is just a bit heavier than the DLE-111 by a couple of ounces and the 111 is a couple of ounces heavier than the DA-100L IIRC, been too long since I weighed 'em side by side, but all three of those engines will be a chunk lighter than the 3W-106.

While I'm not really a 3W fan, as I mentioned earlier I just don't see a DLE-111 being in the same ballpark as the 3W 106 QZ. 3W has pretty much always endulged in some massaging of their engines for better power and giving them nicknames as well as charging more for them. The QZ version was out when QuiQui was sponsored by 3W and it does put out more power than a standard 106, so IMHO going to a DLE-111 would be a downgrade on power vs. the 3W 106 QZ. While the DA-100 is a real good engine, it's not in the ballpark with either the 106, or the 111 and way under the 120.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Us52537.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	92.1 KB 
ID:	1579080  
    Zeeb

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

What's nice about the DA-100 or 100L is that you can get them used for a good price. I was facing this decision and went with the DA-120 on a 28lb Extreme Flight 110" Yak. Can't wait for the maiden....soon.
    Joe AP

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I agree, my next engine will be a DA120 and you forgot one thing, resale will be much better on the DA-120
    Yep, I did mention re-sale value on the 120, read again.

Sorry Zeeb, I should have worded that as weight benefit not weight penalty. It's hard for me to judge the DA weights as many of them out there are without all the other associated gear. Off the top of my head I couldn't recall how much lighter the 120 was, which is why I mentioned next to nil.

Excited to hear your flight report Joe! I just placed an order for a Xoar CF prop and a new Falcon prop so I can compare them to the Mejzlik's side-by-side. I'll let you know what I find out.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The weigh difference between 100 L and 120 is about 8 os.

If a plane such as Comp ARF extra 260 is design for da100, the plane will be tail heavy with a 120?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The DA-120 is the way to go. Once you have this much $$$ in planes this large whats a couple extra hun. I got mine last Oct and put it in the Aeroworks Yak-54. By far the best combo I have ever owned of all the 15 planes now in the hanger, including my Big Warbirds. The power and transition right out of the box is incredible, can wait till it's fully broken in.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: nonstoprc

The weigh difference between 100 L and 120 is about 8 os.

If a plane such as Comp ARF extra 260 is design for da100, the plane will be tail heavy with a 120?
    Yup.....

My SWB rudder servo tray is right up against the landing gear blocks where they say to put it if you were going to run a single cylinder engine, the 120 is 1/4" shorter than the 100 and I moved mine out another 1/4". Still had to put some lead on the backside of the firewall.

Never the less, at 28lbs. that 120 hauls the thing around like a giant foamie, you just 'gotta have the right prop.
    Zeeb

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Smooth, like Keith Stone.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am very happy with the lightly used DA100L I bought for $600.00
    At that price you can't go wrong even if it is only 100cc.
    So if you can pick up a good used DA for the right price ............

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well I am going with the DA 120. Tuned pipes or canisters? The quieter the better. I had a tuned pipe on the DA50, very quiet. What prop? I was swinging a 27 x 10 or a 28 x 10 with the 3w 106.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Very smart choice. Go to the FG website, their is a good thread on the DA-120 there for prop choice. It seems like the 28x12 is a good choice.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Dave763

Well I am going with the DA 120. Tuned pipes or canisters? The quieter the better. I had a tuned pipe on the DA50, very quiet. What prop? I was swinging a 27 x 10 or a 28 x 10 with the 3w 106.
    Tuned pipes or canisters? Depends on your budget and how much you want to monkey around with header length and the like if you want pipes?

Which prop is always the 64 dollar question with gassers since no two are the same. I can tell you a 28x10 Mej isn't enough, a 28x12 Mej seems to be a pretty good match but I've got a 29x10S Mej to try as guys are reporting good results with that prop as well. Some folks like the 27x12 three blade from several manufacturers but it depends on too many variables for a specific recommendation. There is a good sized thread on FG as mentioned, on the engine with some user reports of various props.

If you go pipes, you'll need a bigger prop as the above information is predicated on cans or in cowl muffs....
    Zeeb

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am running the Biela 27x12 3D (2 blade) on my 120 on stock mufflers. Turns 6450 and pulls like a freight train. Also tried the mejzlik 28x12 and did not like it and went right back to the Biela after 1 flight with the mejzlik.
    \"You\'ll get your chance smart guy!\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I need quiet power. Maybe tuned pipes and a three blade prop would be the best way to keep it quiet. Question is what header length, what 3 blade prop and which pipes?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It looks the 120 can seriously take high pitch props (x12). For x10 pitch props popular with IMAC, does it mean I need to use 29x10?

What is a good x10 prop for the 120?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: nonstoprc

It looks the 120 can seriously take high pitch props (x12). For x10 pitch props popular with IMAC, does it mean I need to use 29x10?

What is a good x10 prop for the 120?
    Biela 29x10 is supposed to be a great prop. Quiet, lots of pull. Turns low 6k's. I have one but haven't finished the plane yet. terickson over on FG told me about it (he loves it). The Biela 27x12 as mentioned is also supposed to be great. The Mejzlik 28x12 and 29x10 are supposed to be ok too. Mejzlik 25x12 3-blade is good too.

Joe AP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast