Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Extreme Flight 110 Yak with DA 150

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Extreme Flight 110 Yak with DA 150

Old 04-21-2011, 08:12 PM
az3d
My Feedback: (59)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Extreme Flight 110 Yak with DA 150

Now I just need to raise some more funds. I don't think it will take long to sell my DA 110L but I probably won't get it back from DA for at least a week. I will post pics as the build goes along. Also you proably noticed I changed the tail wheel assembly. I did not like the way the other one looked and I like it direct connect better. You have a lot more postive control on the ground when steering.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:49 AM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

EF is shipping them with the tiller style arm now. It's much easier to control on the ground with this one. Especially in wind.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30455.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	1597438  
Old 06-20-2011, 05:53 AM
az3d

Ok, the 150 is now on. I don't know if I can recommend it. Right now I would say if money was not an issue I would go with the 120, if you are looking to save big $ go with the used 150. The good news is it fits and looks like it is supposed to be there. There is plenty of prop clearance and the engine fits in the cowling with about 1/4 inch stand offs. I did add a ply sheet behind the firewall but only because the original one was cut out to accommodate an engine with a rear carb. If I was putting it in a new airframe I don't think I would do anything to it other than mount it. They have triangle stock behind and in front of the firewall so there is not too much you can add unless you cut it apart. The engine with the prop and muffs cost me $925. I just bought a DA 120 for my pitts python that cost over 1300 so through in a prop and you are over a $500 difference. Yes this is new vs. used cost. The bad news is the plane now weighs 33lbs. (I did not weight the wing tubes initially so it was probably close to 29bs with the DLE 111) I had to add just under a pound to the tail to balance it out. I could shorten the firewall but I don't think saving 14oz would be worth it. I may put heavy life batteries in the rear and remove the weight but that would only save about 5 oz. I have the same lipo set up I had in it before. As for power I initially had a mejzlik 30 x 12. It had a slow spool up. I went to a Xoar 30 x 10 which was much better. I did not change out the fuel tank, 32 oz and just ran it out of gas at 10 minutes. The plane landed in the dirt and pitched up on the nose cracking my prop. I just ordered a 32a vess prop so I will see how that works. With that being said if I took this plane down to Phoenix it would probably be ballistic, I just have to live with the fact I am at a high altitude and you are not going to get a ballistic plane, unless the vess comes through. Don't get me wrong it does pull the plane around like it weighs 5 lbs. it just won't rocket out of a hover. My pitts airframe, electronics etc. weighs about 1 lb. less than the Yak without the engine so when I get that going I will be able to compare the two. I think it will they will be close, one with less power but lighter and one with more power but heavier. I will let you know.
Old 06-25-2011, 10:03 AM
az3d

Ok I tried the 32A Vess and I changed my mind. This thing is awsome. I would not put a DA 120 on it if someone gave it to me. The throttle response is unbelievable. I burp the throttle and I can bounce the plane up and down 3 feet at a time. It is so easy to tail slide. I can walk it down the runway in a harrier or hover it with total control. I would recommend this to anyone considering it.
Old 06-25-2011, 11:23 AM
2robinhood

So where the heck are the videos ?
Old 06-25-2011, 06:18 PM
az3d

The only problem with videos are I have seen videos with 10 year old kids that kick my ass so I am not sure if I want to put myself up to that scrutiny. With that being said I will see what I can do.