Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Yellow Aircraft Cap 10B Engine Choice?

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Yellow Aircraft Cap 10B Engine Choice?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2003, 07:30 PM
rongreg13
My Feedback: (129)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yellow Aircraft Cap 10B Engine Choice?

I'm getting ready to make a choice on the powerplant for my YA Cap 10B. I was originally planning on a US41, but now I'm thinking more towards a G38. I definitely want to go with gas on this plane and don't want to spend too much $$. Any recommendations? Thanks!
Ron
Old 08-13-2003, 08:54 PM
Closterman

Default G-45

I have a Zenoah G-45 on my Cap 10 (see thread MR Aerodesign Cap 10 in this forum). My Cap have 80" of Wingspan and the weight is 17 lb (full of gaz and full of smoke oil). The performance was good. Not unlimited vertical but enough to make scale aerobatic and more !
Old 08-13-2003, 10:39 PM
rthorne
My Feedback: (29)

RonGreg:

Hows the quality of the YA Cap 10b. I've always liked the looks of it. I'm also curious how much engine weight is needed to balance the plane. Any idea?

Thanks.
Old 08-13-2003, 11:41 PM
rongreg13
My Feedback: (129)

If you're familiar with the other Yellow kits (not ARFs), then this plane is of equal quality. The fuselage seems a bit heavier duty than some of the other Yellow planes which suits me fine with an aerobatic machine. There is barely any hardware included other than parts specific to the plane, so you'll have to visit the hobby store with a pretty hefty shopping list. It builds great and has a beautiful and very easy to build wing that is pre-sheeted and routed. The FG is beautiful like all Yellow kits, and the instructions are pretty good too. The plane needs quite a bit of nose weight to balance out, so you have to be REAL careful building the aft end of the plane. I'm hoping a heavy gas engine will balance out pretty good and with any luck I can get the plane on CG by moving stuff around rather than adding too much lead.
Old 08-13-2003, 11:47 PM
rthorne
My Feedback: (29)

Thanks Rongreg13:

Thats great information. If you have a digital camera I would like to see some pics of your plane.

I meant to ask another question in my last post. What is the distance from the firewall to cowl where the prop washer will be?
Old 08-14-2003, 02:27 PM
ww2birds
My Feedback: (14)

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Yellow Cap10B

I have one of these with a Laser200 V-twin glow motor. Powers the plane quite well ... and sounds absolutely awesome ... but the comment about noseweight is right on .. I have a boatload of lead up front (about 1.5#) to balance it so I might as well have used a gasser. Nice to avoid being slimed on every flight :-)

In general, I prefer gas to glow, but I have found that for 120-sized planes one is almost always better off with glow (gasser is too heavy when all is said and done) .. so the YAC 10B is in the gray zone being a little bigger than "120 size" ... but if I had it to do over, I'd probably go gas .. maybe something in the 40-50cc range. The 3W-24 is nice little motor, but probably not quite enough for this plane. It would kick donkey with a DA50, I'll bet!

Dave
Old 08-14-2003, 02:58 PM
Blackhawk RCU
My Feedback: (5)

Default Cap 10 B

This is a great plane and I love it's looks but it will snap in a heartbeat. Keep it light and don't get behind on the power. I flew mine with a Moki 180.
Old 10-11-2004, 12:18 AM
cap10b

Default RE: Cap 10 B

All,
Weight is the kiss of death with this plane. I think any of the mag engines are way too heavy. I flew mine at over 19lbs with smoke, flaps, dual elevator servos, dual batteries with a Brison 2.4. This motor easily flew the plane, but it was very sensitive to the elevator.
My wing loading was somewhere around 35 in/oz per sq/in. That's heavy warbird territory. At that weight the plane did everything
you wanted as long as it was big. Like all Mudry products that are overweight it did not like to be pointed straight down with the power off and surprisingly this plane does not like to go fast. Moderate speed will still scare the living daylights out of you.

If I had it to do over again I'd use one digital for the elevators and metal geared servo on the flaps, I'd set it up like a big .60/1.20 instead of a big bird.

Good Luck

jds