Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

EF YAK 88 with DA-50 needs more power?

I just purchased a used EF YAK 88" with a new DA-50 engine on it (just broke in). The plane is almost new and have been flown just enough to break-in the engine.

I noticed, compared to my SD model yak, it seems heavier in pulling out of a hover.

The DA-50 manual says it can have a 24x8 prop.

My question is: Will the 24x8 prop perform better on the EF YAK with da-50 engine ?

Thanks in advance!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: EF YAK 88 with DA-50 needs more power?

put that motor on a carbon fiber pipe and header or pull the trigger on a DA 60
    smooth as silk!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

our favorite prop on the OP's setup is a Mezjlik 23x8......
    and yep.. a set of pipes are nice!
    Extreme Flight RC tech support
    IMAC Vice President|IMAC Sequence Committee|IMAC National Judging Instructor|Team Futaba|Extreme Flight R/C|2014 IMAC World Championships Contest Director

ORIGINAL: krayzc-RCU

put that motor on a carbon fiber pipe and header or pull the trigger on a DA 60
    Does the DA-60 have the same weight as the da-50? Or at least, difference between DA-50 and DA-50 is few grams perhaps?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The DA-60 is a little heavier, but only because the crankcase comes back further than the DA-50.(see pic) Because of this, it uses 1" less of a stand off which saves the weight difference to a certain extent. It also will use a different header as it has a round port on the exhaust. So keep that in mind if decide to step up.

david
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vt57836.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	146.4 KB 
ID:	1727055  
    I never want to see a crash. But I don't want to miss one either.

ORIGINAL: daveopam

The DA-60 is a little heavier, but only because the crankcase comes back further than the DA-50.(see pic) Because of this, it uses 1'' less of a stand off which saves the weight difference to a certain extent. It also will use a different header as it has a round port on the exhaust. So keep that in mind if decide to step up.

david
    Thanks David for the help.

Honestly, I prefer to try a bigger prop first and see how it performs. I am just wondering if anyone tried a 24x8 prop on this frame.

Also, would a carbon prop perform better than a wooden prop. I have a menz 23x8 on it now.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: q8cub

ORIGINAL: daveopam

The DA-60 is a little heavier, but only because the crankcase comes back further than the DA-50.(see pic) Because of this, it uses 1'' less of a stand off which saves the weight difference to a certain extent. It also will use a different header as it has a round port on the exhaust. So keep that in mind if decide to step up.

david
    Thanks David for the help.

Honestly, I prefer to try a bigger prop first and see how it performs. I am just wondering if anyone tried a 24x8 prop on this frame.

Also, would a carbon prop perform better than a wooden prop. I have a menz 23x8 on it now.

A 23X8 is pretty much max for a DA 50. It will only be worse with the 24X8. The only real way to get more out of the 50 is a pipe ( not canister ). A DLE 55 would be a direct bolt in and from what I am told responds better with a pipe then the DA. IMO you would be better off dropping some weight out of the airplane. Anything heavier then 16.5-17 lbs is going to be pretty doggy with the 50.

ORIGINAL: speedracerntrixie

A 23X8 is pretty much max for a DA 50. It will only be worse with the 24X8. The only real way to get more out of the 50 is a pipe ( not canister ). A DLE 55 would be a direct bolt in and from what I am told responds better with a pipe then the DA. IMO you would be better off dropping some weight out of the airplane. Anything heavier then 16.5-17 lbs is going to be pretty doggy with the 50.
    What about a carbon prop size 23x8? Will it provide noticable thrust to weight ratio difference than a wooden 23x8 prop?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You may get better thrust from a CF prop but because they are heavier the spool up slowly. The end result will still be sluggish out of the hover. You may want to try a Vess 23A. The biggest advantage you can do is get weight off the airplane. Most guys end up using a heavy Pitts muffler on the 50 too. If you are , look into getting a stock DA side dump muffler. A bit more power and 1/4 pound off the airplane.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: exeter_acres

our favorite prop on the OP's setup is a Mezjlik 23x8......
    and yep.. a set of pipes are nice!

This guy should be pretty familiar with that plane,, listen.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

.......Yes, I agree he know's whats up but, is the recommendation of the Mej. 23x8 with a stock side dump or with the tuned pipe?????
    I didn\'\'\'\'t choose Mojo, Mojo chose me PRO BRO #1963

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If you're into 3D and need more thrust, the Vess 23A will be the best 3D prop for your DA 50 & heaver plane. I tried it on my DLE-55, don't recall the exact RPM but I believe it was around 7300rpm on stock exhaust. Would be perfect on the DA-50. It was a little slow for IMAC/sport IMO, but if you're mainly 3D'ing it puts out a ton of thrust.

Xoar CF 23x8 & Mejzlik 23x8 were my fav CF props on the DLE-55, but I think they'll be slightly too much load for a DA-50.
    35% H9 Extra 300 - DLE-111 | 33% Lanier Yak 54 - DL-100 | 30% Peak Edge 540T - DLE-55 | SkyWalker Long Range FPV

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hello Everyone!

I would like to start off saying im new to this thread but have read a good bit of it. If some of these questions were covered in other threads forgive me.
    Okay , this is my first gas plane period..Ef Yak 54 -88''
    The Arf went together very well so far, and i am very pleased with the quality, and was happy to see unlike the instructions said mine came with wheels and axels as well.

I may ask several in particuliar questions during this but my biggest question is asking for feedback onmy approach as a whole. so here is what i have purchased so far.
    1. DLE-55 " I am on a somewhat limited-budget -not really wanting to discuss engine choice"
    2. Hitec 7955Tg servos for all control surfaces- Can i use stock control arms relaibly " i know i need 4'' offset arm"for pull pull
    3. Throttle servo.. have not purchased how skimpy can i go here . do i need high speed for throttle response. 4. Fromeco Extreme geniune A-123 cell 2300mah battery with 2 Fromeco Badger switches< one for Rx and 1 for ignition.
    5. New Radio -Hitec aurora w/ 7 channel reciever -is channels enough?
    6 I also purchased plenty of hd twisted Extensions

I Do want to Simplify my Set-up as much as possible, to elminate points of failure and user error" Im so nervous setting it up, and dont want to overlook somthing.

ALL in ALL - I was looking into a 4.8 seperate battery for ignition and using my one A-123 2300mah battery for rx, or buying another A-123 and running duels on rx.. IF i were to go that route should i just use regulator for igntion Note my dle ignition specifies no more than 5 volts or damage will be done
    Also read somthing interesting somewhere that there were a few guys running there ignition for DLE's off the balancing tab of A-123s
    Do you guys think there is a clear cut answer for any of this .. one 2300mah for rc? duel batteries for rx? if duels should i use regulator and skip the seperate battery for ign and shar one of the 2-2300 packs going to rx .or was my original plan of seperate nicad4.8v battery on ignition and one a-123 2300 on Rx sound the most practical
    Last question As far as choke- Is manual with no servo Viable? -
    As far as DLE-55, stock muffler vrs pipe..Night and day difference>? or not enough to justify 300 dollars off the get go

Please Remember , Im trying to keep it simple but by no means put myself in danger by doing somthing not worth the saving a point of failure/weight/redunancy

thank you guys