Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Need some thoughts on my Seagull Ultimate Build.......>>>

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Need some thoughts on my Seagull Ultimate Build.......>>>

Old 05-11-2012, 08:49 AM
Taz_Hobbies
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some thoughts on my Seagull Ultimate Build.......>>>

Okay so here goes, I am finally getting ready to put my Seagull 90 ARF on the table and I wanted some input from the more experienced guys and gals about my set-up.

I am going to use the following components and I'd appreciate some input if you will.

Engine:
DLA-32cc

Radio:
Hi-Tec Eclipse 7 Pro Radio

Servos:
Hi-Tec 5645MGs on the ailerons (2)
Hi-Tec 645MG on the elevators (2) (I happen to have 2 new 645MGs and wanted to put them to use)
Hi-Tec 5755 on the rudder

Batteries:
A123 2100mah packs (using 2 packs with 2 switches and no power expander)
2000Mah / 6.0v Ni-mh ignition battery (DLA Manual says from 4.8V to 6.0V for ignition battery)

Misc:
Using 4-40 ball links on all surface linkage with aluminum servo arms.

Any thoughts on this selection of parts for this bird guys? I have it all on hand and I am planning on putting her on the table next week.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:24 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
Default RE: Need some thoughts on my Seagull Ultimate Build.......>>>

Way to much engine. IMHO The SG Ults are on the heavy side to start with. A DLE 20 would be a much better choice. I have owned one SG and 3 GB Ults in this same size. The one I have now is OS 1.20 two stroke powered. It has way to much power and the DLE 20 has a little more than it. If you do stay with your engine choice, be prepared to put the elev and rudder servos in the tail. With the 1.20 I have two mini seorvos in the tail and the CG is right on.

david
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47564.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	153.4 KB
ID:	1761576  
Old 05-11-2012, 05:36 PM
Taz_Hobbies

ORIGINAL: daveopam

Way to much engine. IMHO The SG Ults are on the heavy side to start with. A DLE 20 would be a much better choice. I have owned one SG and 3 GB Ults in this same size. The one I have now is OS 1.20 two stroke powered. It has way to much power and the DLE 20 has a little more than it. If you do stay with your engine choice, be prepared to put the elev and rudder servos in the tail. With the 1.20 I have two mini seorvos in the tail and the CG is right on.

david
Thanks for the input, I appreciate it. To be honest, I would rather have the servos back there so this may work out better in the long run. The reason for the 32cc engine was after seeing and reading some build threads it seems the 20cc, while a great engine was borderline on being 3D capable. I have watched several vids with 30cc gassers in the rather portly Seagull and I felt that I'd rather have extra HP on tap than not enough. Maybe I over did it?

Can you show me a couple photos of the elevator servos from behind where you can see them both? I am curious if you staggered them, like one above the other or is the fuse wide enough back there for them to be on an even plane? Also, what, if any, reinforcing did you do to mount the servos?

Sorry for the questions, I just want this project to turn out as well thought out as possible.

Thanks.

Old 05-12-2012, 04:42 AM
darrolair

A fully charged 6 volt battery is over 7 volts. The receiver won't last using it. 4.8 volts is plenty.
Old 05-12-2012, 07:11 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 173 Likes on 149 Posts

ORIGINAL: darrolair

A fully charged 6 volt battery is over 7 volts. The receiver won't last using it. 4.8 volts is plenty.
I think you mean the ignition. If so you are correct that a 5 cell is too much and will fry the ignition. A 4 cell is more appropriate. Other then that go out and fly the airplane. Although I am a true beleiver in " the lighter the better " it is more important to get the CG right. I see too many guys going too far forward thinking it is going to be more stable. The results are pitch trim changes at different speeds and high landing speeds. Its better to get the CG in a more nuetral position and the airplane will be easier to fly even at the higher wing loading.

Old 05-12-2012, 07:37 AM
Taz_Hobbies

ORIGINAL: speedracerntrixie

I think you mean the ignition. If so you are correct that a 5 cell is too much and will fry the ignition. A 4 cell is more appropriate. Other then that go out and fly the airplane. Although I am a true beleiver in " the lighter the better " it is more important to get the CG right. I see too many guys going too far forward thinking it is going to be more stable. The results are pitch trim changes at different speeds and high landing speeds. Its better to get the CG in a more nuetral position and the airplane will be easier to fly even at the higher wing loading.

Excellent, I will use a 4 cell / 4.8V battery on the ignition then. And I am willing to bet you and I are equally as specific on CG. I cannot tell you how many times I place a plane on the CG balancer before I am happy. I am old school, I hate to add weight, it's a mortal sin where I come from! LOL!

For the ultimate I am currently sketching an idea for a CG stand for it as balances a short distance behind the LE of the upper wing and none of the CG balacers I have will work.

Old 05-12-2012, 11:58 AM
daveopam

Sorry I don't have a pic of them from behind. I can tell you however thet are even with each other. The rear edges of the two servos almost touch. Maybe the thickness of a sheet of paper between them. i did add a strip of ply from top to bottom for the screws on both ends to bite into. Keep in mind the plane in the pic is a GB. The SG is the same size but not sure how the tail is built up.
While your bigger engine will make hover better, it is going to hurt other aspects of 3D flight. The wing loading is already high on these and you are going to compound that. These are not really 3D planes anyway so you may be perfectly happy with the extra power. If it ever dead sticks on you, don't try and glide it in. Point it on a 45 degree down line and flair at 10'.

David
Old 05-12-2012, 03:14 PM
darrolair

Thanks Speed, I did mean the ignition. I agree with dave. The plane will have a high wing loading which is not good for 3d flying. Should be a good flyer however.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:01 AM
Taz_Hobbies

Thanks Speed, I did mean the ignition. I agree with dave. The plane will have a high wing loading which is not good for 3d flying. Should be a good flyer however.
Thanks I appreciate that.

Old 05-16-2012, 06:06 PM
Taz_Hobbies

After many discussions with several more experienced giant/large scale guys, I have decided not to put the 32cc gasser in the Ultimate.
I have an O.S. 1.20AX that will do the job in teh ultimate and the DLA-32 is going into the new 25% MX2 that will be delivered tomorrow.
I am also putting a 1.00 Evolution is my old Funtana S90 I picked up last weekend.

Tahnks everyone for helping!

Old 05-19-2012, 07:59 AM
daveopam

You made the right choice Taz. I have the same combo. i used the stock muffler with the 90 degree adapter. It is ballistic with a 17x6 APC. If you want a few pics I'll dig them up.

David
Old 05-19-2012, 09:58 AM
Taz_Hobbies

You made the right choice Taz. I have the same combo. i used the stock muffler with the 90 degree adapter. It is ballistic with a 17x6 APC. If you want a few pics I'll dig them up.

David
Yes David, that would be great. You can never have enough reference material!

Old 05-20-2012, 01:18 PM
daveopam

So true. I have them on my work computer. Will get some up for you next week.

David
Old 05-23-2012, 03:09 PM
daveopam

Sorry for the delay. I have them on a flash drive and not on either computer. I'll find and post them, or maybe just take some new ones. It might be easier. :-)

David
Old 05-23-2012, 03:47 PM
Taz_Hobbies

Sorry for the delay. I have them on a flash drive and not on either computer. I'll find and post them, or maybe just take some new ones. It might be easier. :-)

David
No sweat brother, take your time.

Old 05-25-2012, 01:40 PM
Taz_Hobbies

FINALLY got the ultimate on the table today. Did some preliminary cowl fitting around the OS 1.20AX. Will be looking at roughing in the pitts muffler outlets and final fitting tomorrow I hope.

Old 05-25-2012, 01:49 PM
daveopam

Get ready to cut a big hole in the bottom of the cowl.

david
Old 05-25-2012, 01:56 PM
Taz_Hobbies

Get ready to cut a big hole in the bottom of the cowl.

david
Oh yes. Just roughing the engine in today and will be working the exhaust and bottom of the cowl tomorrow.

Old 05-25-2012, 02:56 PM
daveopam

I am using the stock muffler with 90 degree adapter. It sticks out a little more than the pitts, but not much. The PITA part it the nipple for muffler pressure points right at the motor mount. Had to put a hole in the webbing to run the line through. I also have to remove the muffler to get the cowl off. I can however get a long allen wrench through the opening in front of the cowl to reach the front bolt.

After you get the cabans and rudder on. Lay a straight edge and make sure the top center rib is straight to the rudder. Mine was not and I had to tweak and tighten the cabans to get it right. Also, be dure and clean the threads up on your blind nuts that the plastic wing bolts go into. It is easy to strip the 1/4x20 nylon bolts if the metal threads are not good.

david
Old 06-13-2012, 03:45 PM
Taz_Hobbies

I am using the stock muffler with 90 degree adapter. It sticks out a little more than the pitts, but not much. The PITA part it the nipple for muffler pressure points right at the motor mount. Had to put a hole in the webbing to run the line through. I also have to remove the muffler to get the cowl off. I can however get a long allen wrench through the opening in front of the cowl to reach the front bolt.

After you get the cabans and rudder on. Lay a straight edge and make sure the top center rib is straight to the rudder. Mine was not and I had to tweak and tighten the cabans to get it right. Also, be dure and clean the threads up on your blind nuts that the plastic wing bolts go into. It is easy to strip the 1/4x20 nylon bolts if the metal threads are not good.

david
Seems like no matter how many times I try and get to the Ultimate, I always have soemthing else preventing me from getting to it. FINALLY, I got to get her up on her feet. Test fitting the wings and cowl. Hope to have some time this weekend to wrap it up. Ended up with 645 HiTecs all the way around, for my type of flying I am sure it will be plenty. Had a helluva time with the tank, those plastic tubes are useless and no other stopper fits the tank quite right. Hope I have it solved. Thanks for all the tips guys. I appreciate it.

Old 11-03-2014, 08:15 AM
Rock81

Originally Posted by Taz_Hobbies
Seems like no matter how many times I try and the Ultimate, I always have soemthing else preventing me from getting to it. FINALLY, I got to get her up on her feet. Test fitting the wings and cowl. Hope to have some time this weekend to wrap it up. Ended up with 645 HiTecs all the way around, for my type of flying I am sure it will be plenty. Had a helluva time with the tank, those plastic tubes are useless and no other stopper fits the tank quite right. Hope I have it solved. Thanks for all the tips guys. I appreciate it.

I know this is almost 2 years old, sorry for being so late. Taz, did the maiden go ok? Is the sg ultimate fly to your liking? I have one on layaway with the hitec 645s and a zenoah g 22 magneto engine in it. Receiver/flight pack ready, never flown or engine ran.
Old 11-06-2014, 01:23 AM
hobbychina2010

you best use 20cc Gas Engine(120 nitro engine)
Old 12-07-2014, 10:46 AM
mxzmadness

I have built 2 of these planes, the landing gear is week you need to beef it up with b&b specialties landing gear stiffeners, and the mounting box to the engine. where it attatchs to the firewall will break I used 2 pieces of 1/4" thin ply with blind nuts and epoxied and sandwiched together through the side of the fuselage, plenty strong up here now, my honest opinion the gp superskybolt is a better plane mine has a saito fg21 4 stroke in it
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1340.JPG
Views:	903
Size:	1.52 MB
ID:	2052938