Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on the GW MX2 30CC ARF ???

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Thoughts on the GW MX2 30CC ARF ???

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 08:51 AM
Taz_Hobbies
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts on the GW MX2 30CC ARF ???

I just picked one up this weekend and I am curious as to the pros & cons of this kit?
My addiction is out of control at this point! I bought a small Raven 3D plane RTF, a used Funtana S 90 froma great guy here on RCU and I ordered the MX2 30cc kit AND I have a seagull ultimate ready to hit the bench!

But seriously, any thoughts or tips on the Goldwing MX2 30CC ARF ???
Will be putting a DLA-32 on it.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:58 PM
Crash Campbell

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Thoughts on the GW MX2 30CC ARF ???

Hi,

I assembled one for a mate and ended up with it as a promotion machine for the NGH motors and Delux materials he imports. On low rates it is a reasonable pattern performer. On high rates it is a competent 3D model with little coupling in knife edge. Watch your speed with the larger throws as it will snap hard. I'm flying with a NGH 35cc and it is never above half throttle. It will pay you to beef up the landing gear mounts internally before flying and make sure the motor is adequately cooled in the housing. I had to make up some ducting to cure overheating deadsticks, with the ducting it is very reliable but standard the cowl is such that the air gets in but isn't flowing out adequately. In short a good fun machine.

Cheers,

Colin
Old 05-16-2012, 04:06 AM
Taz_Hobbies

ORIGINAL: Crash Campbell

Hi,

I assembled one for a mate and ended up with it as a promotion machine for the NGH motors and Delux materials he imports. On low rates it is a reasonable pattern performer. On high rates it is a competent 3D model with little coupling in knife edge. Watch your speed with the larger throws as it will snap hard. I'm flying with a NGH 35cc and it is never above half throttle. It will pay you to beef up the landing gear mounts internally before flying and make sure the motor is adequately cooled in the housing. I had to make up some ducting to cure overheating deadsticks, with the ducting it is very reliable but standard the cowl is such that the air gets in but isn't flowing out adequately. In short a good fun machine.

Cheers,

Colin
Excellent, thanks. Do you have any photos of the ducting you are describing, I'd love to see that.

Thanks again!

Old 05-16-2012, 07:48 PM
Crash Campbell

Here you go,

Image of the ducting inside the cowl. The forms are made from 1/8" balsa glassed to the inside of the cowl.

Cheers.
Attached Images  
Old 05-17-2012, 01:58 PM
Taz_Hobbies

Here you go,

Image of the ducting inside the cowl. The forms are made from 1/8" balsa glassed to the inside of the cowl.

Cheers.
Thanks, but the image is so small, even when you click on it to enlarge it, I really cannot see much.
Thank you for the effort though! I appreciate it.

Old 05-17-2012, 02:42 PM
Crash Campbell

Hi,

RCU's server wouldn't let me load the full size image yesterday so I'll try again. I simply made a mock up out of heavy card and held it in place with masking tape. I cut small pieces off at a time until I was happy with the fit then I used the card as a template for the balsa and then galssed the lot with light weight cloth and "POLYCRILIC".

Cheers,

Colin
Attached Images  
Old 05-17-2012, 02:44 PM
Taz_Hobbies

Hi,

RCU's server wouldn't let me load the full size image yesterday so I'll try again. I simply made a mock up out of heavy card and held it in place with masking tape. I cut small pieces off at a time until I was happy with the fit then I used the card as a template for the balsa and then galssed the lot with light weight cloth and "POLYCRILIC".

Cheers,

Colin
Still tiny like a postage stamp! Sorry buddy. Maybe email it to me?
tazhobbies at yahoo dot com ?

Old 05-19-2012, 05:06 PM
kerwin50

I've got the v1 version. On my 1st fuse I put the stab with the white side up. This gave me about 1 1/2 degrees incident om my wing. With this set-up she didn't have any tendancy to snap.
Walls are a thing of beauty as well as waterfalls. She also does some great snaps. But there is nothing like her flat spin.
She did seem to pull towards the canopy.
Now only a couple weeks back some how the ailerons got reversed and she went in on take off. I got a new fuse from giantmodel products.
This time I put the stab with the green side up and everything is 0-0-0.
I do love this plane but she does come in hot.
BTW I fiberglassed and laminated with 1/32 lite ply the undercarraige formers and wrapped some glass cloth over the LG block and to the front and rear formers.
This made the undercarraige very strong.
the DLE 30 pulls this plane around like a rag doll.
It seems alot of people like the green as it doesn't seem to stay in stock much.
Old 05-20-2012, 01:18 AM
ceecrb1

this should help!

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_99...tm.htm#9995777

I absolutely love mine.. infact I'm onto my 2nd airframe..
Since I got mine I've basically "culled the heard" and reduced all my stock to just the mx2, a scale tucano and my trex 500... the mx2 is just a great "every day" plane.. I can just fly around lazily.. do nice smooth acrobatics or I can bash it around doing 3d (as best I can).
I started with the JC28 but i've moved on to the DLE30 and the change was worth it!
Old 05-20-2012, 06:30 AM
kerwin50

Thats great to hear you still have her flying.
I've about got mine back up and flying.
I had my ailerons reversed.