Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Dirt cheap 100cc airframe?

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Dirt cheap 100cc airframe?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 06:57 PM
frankle951
My Feedback: (35)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Dirt cheap 100cc airframe?

I know a couple of guys, that has the nitroplanes Extra 100cc plane, not a bad flying plane, it's no IMAC plane, but it's a nice 3-D plane, good luck and have fun !!!!
Old 08-24-2012, 09:30 PM
nitro wing
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont agree at all buying a dirt cheap 100cc airframe from a generic nobody vendor
this is a nearly 30 pound weapon that is likely to fail anytime, especially if the assembler is not well experienced in reckonizing areas of concern.
I have witnessed this at my field, a piss poor large ARF and a new hobby pilot, puts everyone else in danger.
Likely to need a pre flight, airworthyness, check by others and being banned from the flying field..sound harsh? its not.
NO plane is safe, but many are unsafe right from the factory. At 50cc and up, alot stricter rules apply
Old 08-25-2012, 04:21 AM
frankle951

, Sound like you are bitter, over affordable airframe, a large 100cc, for a new person stepping his game up, is wonderful, I started that way, and now, I have a 40% Robert Godfrey Extra 300, AeroWorks 150cc Yak-54, 35% QQ Yak-54, 2-33% SD/TOC Yak-54 and the 33% Great Planes Extra 300, but I started with a cheap airframe, so if I crash, the cost would be a lot less, you need to remember, all ARF airframe are made in china, from AeroWorks to Extreme Flight models, so don't knock a person that coming up to be the next XFC winner, God Love all of USE, and So do I, Happy Flying !!!!!!
Old 08-29-2012, 08:58 PM
nitro wing

nah, not bitter
there is cheap as in good deal, then there is cheap as in hideous bad product.
some cant tell the difference, and will fly around clueless..call me out, but its the flat out truth.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:10 AM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So what are yo ugoing to do inspect every 50cc and up plane that comes out to fly and tell them they can't becuase you think they need more hinges in the elevators or a stronger tail wheel? Some things truely should be noted and told to the pilot not knowing what to look for but if anyone tried to tell me my aircraft isn't "safe" that's another thing. Me not safe, well that's another subject...

Do you have rules by aircraft size at your filed, curious. We don't other than the AMA's when you get really big.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:52 AM
JRgraham

ORIGINAL: evan-RCU

So what are yo ugoing to do inspect every 50cc and up plane that comes out to fly and tell them they can't becuase you think they need more hinges in the elevators or a stronger tail wheel? Some things truely should be noted and told to the pilot not knowing what to look for but if anyone tried to tell me my aircraft isn't "safe" that's another thing. Me not safe, well that's another subject...

Do you have rules by aircraft size at your filed, curious. We don't other than the AMA's when you get really big.
His point is valid, maybe not worded the best.. but its true. The 'dirt cheap' airframes bought by the inexperienced RC pilot is trouble in the making.
They require a lot of modifications to make a solid airframe, and the new or inexperienced RCperson is unaware of this. Isee it a lot, someone going the cheap route to get into the hobby, only to find that it takes even more and more money in upgrades and whatever's to make it worthy.. they end up busted and broke, with nothing to fly.

Guys, just take a look at the video of the 100cc Yak 54 on NitroPlanes own web site. Its CLEAR in the video they did not fly a nitroplane that was stock built. They do NOTmake any reference to the fact. The images start out stock (aluminum gear, etc)and then you see the carbon items apear. The pilot knows how well it would fly with a stock assembly...

Its a topic beaten to death.. these planes generally take hundreds of dollars after the fact to make them a decent plane, and they can be. But dont fool yourself by thinking that a 300$kit will be all you need. That kit will reach the thousand dollar mark in no time, and in the end, its still a cheap nitroplane.

Let the beating begin.. but dont expect me to hit the ground any time soon.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:43 AM
DadsToysBG

We have a boy at our field that had a 50cc NP plane that after 1 week of flying had bent both the wing and elevator tubes. He was constantly regluing parts. Buying used is not a bad idea. I have done this my self. Just bought one this year. It was a Pilot. Make sure it's a known brand of plane with a good history of parts if you need them. If you can't find something in your budget wait and save more. A well built plane can last you many years and in the long run be cheaper then a new plane that isn't built to the same standard. Dennis
Old 08-30-2012, 08:55 AM
evan-RCU

His point is valid but how far do we take this? Your example of the NitroPlanes Yak is intresting since I have one and really like it. I did make some improvements that a noob would not know to do unless they got help from a club or on here but why would a noob be trying to fly a 100cc airplane of any type? As far as the NP Yak taking hundreds of dollars after the fact to make them decent or that the kit will reach the thousand dollar mark may be true if you want to get to the level of a $1000 kit. For me it took far less to get it to where I was comfortable with it's build, it's in my previous posts, less than $100. I still think it's a great value and every kit I've built needs some type of modification to get to my standards, the YAK just took a bit more.

But back to his issue and your repeating of it that a dirt cheap(50cc and bigger) airframe bought by inexperienced pilots is trouble in the making... What are you going to do about it? Are you the person at your club that will approach the person and not allow him to fly it? Is it any more dangerous than a 150mph foam jet? I think there is more risk of the noob with the jet because they are more apt to bring one of them out to the field or even worse a park. I think someone buying a 100cc Yak will seek out help and then only attempt to fly it at a more appropriate location.

Great discussion BTW.

ORIGINAL: Shimano

So what are yo ugoing to do inspect every 50cc and up plane that comes out to fly and tell them they can't becuase you think they need more hinges in the elevators or a stronger tail wheel? Some things truely should be noted and told to the pilot not knowing what to look for but if anyone tried to tell me my aircraft isn't ''safe'' that's another thing. Me not safe, well that's another subject...

His point is valid, maybe not worded the best.. but its true. The 'dirt cheap' airframes bought by the inexperienced RC pilot is trouble in the making.
They require a lot of modifications to make a solid airframe, and the new or inexperienced RC person is unaware of this. I see it a lot, someone going the cheap route to get into the hobby, only to find that it takes even more and more money in upgrades and whatever's to make it worthy.. they end up busted and broke, with nothing to fly.

Guys, just take a look at the video of the 100cc Yak 54 on NitroPlanes own web site. Its CLEAR in the video they did not fly a nitroplane that was stock built. They do NOT make any reference to the fact. The images start out stock (aluminum gear, etc) and then you see the carbon items apear. The pilot knows how well it would fly with a stock assembly...

Its a topic beaten to death.. these planes generally take hundreds of dollars after the fact to make them a decent plane, and they can be. But dont fool yourself by thinking that a 300$ kit will be all you need. That kit will reach the thousand dollar mark in no time, and in the end, its still a cheap nitroplane.

Let the beating begin.. but dont expect me to hit the ground any time soon.

Old 08-30-2012, 10:56 AM
JRgraham

Im not the kind of guy that would look at someones airplane and say 'you cant fly that thing!', however, if asked what Ithink, Iwould make suggestions as to what and where to 'beef' it up. Imight go as far to say Iwouldnt fly it untill.. but as far as that goes, thats it. Im no moderator, im no saftey marshall.. Iwill just simpley stay clear of the thing when it does go in the air, and keep a close eye on where its at. Theres plenty of rat nest airplanes flying around at our club. some amaze me each time they go home in one piece.

Really the concern is that someone just begining in the hobby getting this cheap ultra cheap airplane, not understanding why its cheap, and what corners were cut to make it cheap.. and, what it takes to make an airplane a solid flyier. It takes experience in construction to know what to look for as far as weak areas poor quality hardware and such, thats all.

My only gripe about NitroPlanes is they use trickery to lure people in, and then all the threads and stories of no responce from customer service when in need. Heck, they advertised having DA engine cheap a few weeks ago, and the image is clearly a hobby king clone something. If anything, it looked closer to a DLE. Just poor practice on thier behalf.. and Idont feel its any mistake.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:09 AM
evan-RCU

I agree and it's not only Nitro Planes, everyone is guilty of making their products look better than they are, some that come to mind quick are Hobby King, Hobby Lobby, Pete at Banana, even Tower/ Great Planes and Horizon/ H9.. Some they are testing the product as is but the video is cut in a way that makes it look awesome flying. Like the videos of the little $25 helo's were each clip is no more than a second or two and put together it looks like it's doing a Airwolf flight...

And then there's car companies, the add with Carl Edwards in the Ford Taurus drifting it through the corners..

As far as stopping someone from flying an unsafe plane, I will to an extent. I've had some people get mad but they always come back to thank me after they cool down.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:03 PM
JRgraham

I agree and it's not only Nitro Planes,...

As far as stopping someone from flying an unsafe plane, I will to an extent. I've had some people get mad but they always come back to thank me after they cool down.
Exactly how it goes for me. And for what its worth to anyone else, my comments are just that.. comments.Just ranting my own opinions and observations.. not meant as suggestions. started in the hobby in mid 80's fwiw.. Its up to whoever else to make the choice. I have heard good comments on the cheap planes as well, but Ihave to add, they dont seem to still be flying them the following year.
In fact, Ichallenge anyone that knows or owns a Nitroplane 50cc or better, to give an overall honest review after one full season of heavy flying, and even better, before and after images.

Old 08-30-2012, 01:17 PM
evan-RCU

I'm taking mine out again tomorrow... I've been told that the NP 100cc Yak is built much like the original V1 QQ Yak. What gen do you have and what did you do to it that you didn't like? Did the elevators and other surfaces come prehinged? Seems like that is one of the big 3 complaints about the NP version, not enough hinge points. I've heard this abou ta lot of the high buck ones too, that the add extra hinges. The other big complaint is adding extra glue to the fuse, I did do that. And the third is the crappy gear, I also agree with that but I didn't replace it I re-enforced it.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:48 PM
frankle951

[8D][8D] Well, you have to remember, at most nice flying field, they have a safety person there, and they already know most of the flyer, most guys tell everybody what they are going to buy, and I like NitroPlanes models, they have a lot of people buying there product, I think Hobby king is #1, for selling r/c item in the world, at my field, the Hawksrc, we have about 23 nitroplanes models flying, no issue, some did mods, and some didn't, the 100cc nitroplanes model flies nice, it's no IMAC plane, but for the money, a nice step up to Giant Scale
Old 08-31-2012, 03:28 PM
evan-RCU

You'll love this... Got three great flights on the big Yak today, really good flights. So good I decided to treat it to a set of carbon gear, just ordered them from Chief. Nothing really wrong with my reenforced originals but I feel it did great for me today so I'm going to return the favor.

ORIGINAL: Shimano

I agree and it's not only Nitro Planes,...

Exactly how it goes for me. And for what its worth to anyone else, my comments are just that.. comments.Just ranting my own opinions and observations.. not meant as suggestions. started in the hobby in mid 80's fwiw.. Its up to whoever else to make the choice. I have heard good comments on the cheap planes as well, but I have to add, they dont seem to still be flying them the following year.
In fact, I challenge anyone that knows or owns a Nitroplane 50cc or better, to give an overall honest review after one full season of heavy flying, and even better, before and after images.

Old 08-31-2012, 04:24 PM
zacharyR
My Feedback: (5)

i want something for nothing 2 !
Old 09-02-2012, 09:11 AM
K-Bob

I'm taking mine out again tomorrow... I've been told that the NP 100cc Yak is built much like the original V1 QQ Yak. What gen do you have and what did you do to it that you didn't like? Did the elevators and other surfaces come prehinged? Seems like that is one of the big 3 complaints about the NP version, not enough hinge points. I've heard this abou ta lot of the high buck ones too, that the add extra hinges. The other big complaint is adding extra glue to the fuse, I did do that. And the third is the crappy gear, I also agree with that but I didn't replace it I re-enforced it.
To say that the NP Yak is "built much like" the QQ Yak is akin to saying a Yugo was "built much like" a Vette because they both have four wheels and an engine.

I've never seen a "high buck" 35% that came with three aileron hinges, or elevators that have to be cut down to clear the pull-pull cables, or LG that were clearly a carry over from their 50CC models.

Old 09-02-2012, 11:41 AM
NM_Mark
My Feedback: (8)

A friend of mine had the NP Sukhoi, and notice I said he "had" it - he was flying one day, pulled up to do a stall turn, and the the tail broke off just ahead of the stab - literally ripped the fuse in two. He then spent 2 hours looking for the pieces of his plane - thinks like servos, battery's, etc. It hit so hard it bent the crank on his DLE111 - very expensive crash.

My opinion - if you are looking for cheap, you get what you pay for!

Just sayin' - Mark
Old 09-02-2012, 01:47 PM
evan-RCU

Yes I admit they need more hinges though they did come with five per aileron. Many of the high buck planes are needing extra aileron hinges too, one at the root and one at the tip, I did the same giving each seven. I did not have to cut down my elevators to get full travel... And there is no way the gear would have come from a 50cc due to the mounting and over all size, they are the same dimensions as the TOC 37% Yak, the 150cc one.

The CONSTRUCTION, the way it's built, laid out, the patern, the actual cutting of the pieces is alot alike. If you want to say copied, fine, made in the same place on third shift, fine, whatever...

So I have to ask, are you just respouting what you see other write? Have you ever seen one of the NP 100cc planes, the Yak or the Sukoi? Ever flown one? Compared the NP Yak to the QQ Yak side by side?

ORIGINAL: K-Bob

To say that the NP Yak is ''built much like'' the QQ Yak is akin to saying a Yugo was ''built much like'' a Vette because they both have four wheels and an engine.

I've never seen a ''high buck'' 35% that came with three aileron hinges, or elevators that have to be cut down to clear the pull-pull cables, or LG that were clearly a carry over from their 50CC models.

Old 09-02-2012, 01:50 PM
evan-RCU

A freind of mine this, my uncle that...

Was it the $280 one? I'd never try to fly an airplane that cheap. It's got to be at least $300 to be decent...

ORIGINAL: NM_Mark

A friend of mine had the NP Sukhoi, and notice I said he ''had'' it - he was flying one day, pulled up to do a stall turn, and the the tail broke off just ahead of the stab - literally ripped the fuse in two. He then spent 2 hours looking for the pieces of his plane - thinks like servos, battery's, etc. It hit so hard it bent the crank on his DLE111 - very expensive crash.

My opinion - if you are looking for cheap, you get what you pay for!

Just sayin' - Mark
Old 09-02-2012, 05:46 PM
NM_Mark
My Feedback: (8)

I think he said it was $299 or something like that. He changed the wing tube, added more hinges, used a carbon-fiber landing gear from another 100cc model - did everything he could see to help it out, and then - THUD it went.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:12 PM
frankle951

Man, you guys need to get laid, or a life
Old 09-03-2012, 05:30 AM
K-Bob

So I have to ask, are you just respouting what you see other write? Have you ever seen one of the NP 100cc planes, the Yak or the Sukoi? Ever flown one? Compared the NP Yak to the QQ Yak side by side?

ORIGINAL: K-Bob

To say that the NP Yak is ''built much like'' the QQ Yak is akin to saying a Yugo was ''built much like'' a Vette because they both have four wheels and an engine.

I've never seen a ''high buck'' 35% that came with three aileron hinges, or elevators that have to be cut down to clear the pull-pull cables, or LG that were clearly a carry over from their 50CC models.

As a matter of fact, yes I have.

Old 09-03-2012, 06:47 AM
evan-RCU

Seen, flown, or compared?
Old 09-03-2012, 07:01 AM
evan-RCU

Been there, done that (or the other way around)......

ORIGINAL: frankle951

Man, you guys need to get laid, or a life
Old 09-03-2012, 08:46 PM
JRgraham

I have.. IOWN a QQYak 54 101 with a DLE 111, and compared to a Nitro Planes.. there is none. well, they are both called Yak.
Thats not meant to put one down really, just saying they are not the same build.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.