Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Old school funtana 90

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 06:57 PM
mizm1220
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old school funtana 90

Ok guys, sorry if i'm posting in the wrong forum but here's my situation.
I recently purchased a funtana s90 airfraime in immaculate conditon and was wondering about the AUW. This is my first gasser and i purchased a rcg 26cc. The problem is that i am worried about my weight issue. The fully assembled airframe minus electronics and engine weighs 7.55 pounds according to a calibrated doctors scale(wife is a nurse). The AUW of the plane has come out to be 12.4lbs.Hangar 9 says 8-8.5lbs flying weight. The rcg is 7ozs more than the H9 recommended engine for the newest itteration of this bird,the 125. I've personally seen one of these planes with a dle 30 being thrown around but that was at the hands of a 3d pilot with years more experience with 3d than myself. That particular person told me that i have a "good" setup to start with??? The rcg spins at 7820 rpm once i got it tuned and is producing 11.2lbs of static thrust with an apc 16.5x5w "break-in" prop after about a gallon thru it. Goin to go to a 18x6w later. I guess my question is will this plane be a brick to sport fly until the engine is broken in? None of my other planes are this grossly obese but most of the H9 funtanas i've personally seen have 26-30cc engines,large props and tons of experience behind them. Any chime-ins will be helpful because i'm actually scared to put this one in the air.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:44 PM
frankle951
My Feedback: (35)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Old school funtana 90

Well I have 7 funtana, Im using a SPE 26cc side mount carb, my funtana flies nice, it weighs 11.8lb, my buddy has the funtana 90, with a DLE 30cc, it flies real nice, using the stock CG, weigh is not a issue.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xu62823.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	207.7 KB
ID:	1797770   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xt60362.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	1797771  
Old 09-02-2012, 09:01 PM
mizm1220

Thanks for the info Frankle951. I am pulling my hair out because this airframe is a dicontinuedclassic and i want everything to be right. If i may ask, what prop/s are you guysusing? Absolutely beautiful cover jobs btw!!!
Old 09-03-2012, 05:24 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Uhhh.... brick....

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings but while very few people claimed to have put one of these puppies in the air at the advertised flying weight, yours is really heavy.

Mine has a YS-110 in it, weighs in at 9lbs and is really fun to fly. A friend has the 90 with one of those CRRG (?) 26 size gassers, don't know what it weighs but it's obviously a LOT heavier than mine. Does it fly? Sure, question is what does it fly like? Lots of guys put small gassers in these things and claim they fly fine so it just depends on your flying style and what you prefer.

As you get into bigger models, weight can be a killer. Lighter ALWAYS fly's better....

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94401.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	1797882  
Old 09-03-2012, 06:15 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

The very first versions of these had issues with AILE flutter. Look at your aile servo mount. Is there a rib next to each side of the mount? The 1st version had a rib on one side of the mount and 1/4" square stick running to the next rib which was about 3" over. If your wing is V1. I would open it up and reinforce the area a little.

David
Old 09-03-2012, 09:58 AM
mizm1220

Zeeb, thanks for the input,that's kind of what i was thinking at first. What i can't wrap my tiny brain around is how are you guys getting a 9-10lb plane?
For whatever reason this particular airframe weighs 7 1/2lbs to start with, even if i were to use a YS110+muffler+mount+prop+spinner, i'm looking at
easily another2lbs. Now i have a 9 1/2 pound plane with no electronics,control linkages,batteries or fuel tank w/plumbing in it. The only mods that i have made to the airframe
was reinforcing the landing gear mount,added screws to the firewalland sealing the hinge gaps with blenderm other than that the plane is as it came out of the box 7 years ago. I don't get it.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:17 AM
mizm1220

Thanks for the heads up david, i did hear about that.I do havethe original version. I've given the once over to all of the notorious failure points for this plane
and the landing gear mount was the only thing tthat made my nervous. Everything elseis pretty solid. I plan on keeping the speed low and
the hinge gaps have been sealed so hopefully flutter won't be an issue besides i would hate to cut on this plane because monokote,sealing irons and myself
haven't learned to play nice
Old 09-03-2012, 02:20 PM
kerwin50

I have a buddy that has one with an st 90 and it's under 10 lbs.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:00 PM
mizm1220

I understand that Kerwin50 and thanks for the replybut if i may ask,again, how is he/she accomplishing that feat? As i posted earlier the engine that i purchased is at the most, 9oz. more than any H9 recommended engine. Is the naked airfraime lighter than 7 1/2lbs or did he find an engine,gasser or nitro, 5 digitalht servos, 1 digital hs servo,servo linkages,battery/s,control horns,rx,prop,spinner, (full)fuel tankand engine mount combo that weighed less than 2 1/2 lbs total? After all the st .90 is approximately 27ozs. without mount and prop. So that means to me that all of the aforementioned partshave to have a total weight of roughly 6 ozs. How does one accomplish that? Please understand that i'm not trying to be a smartarse but i am a by-the-book flyer and my math just isn't working.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:20 AM
darrolair

mizm1220

You have to know not all scales are going to read the same.
You can use one servo for the elevators with a forked push rod.
A mini servo can be used for the throttle with a glow engine.
Carbon fiber landing gear will help for weight.
Lipo battery is lighter.
As you see there are many options for lightening the plane. I suggest putting the plane together and go have fun. Don't over think it.
There are lots of better designed aerobatic aircraft. Go fly and have fun.

Darrolair
Old 09-04-2012, 05:21 AM
frankle951

[8D][8D] The main thing is that the funtana is a nice flying plane with a gasser on it, and will hover at half throttle, a nice 3D plane or for just flying around.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:16 AM
daveopam

Mizm1220, Realize on the weight, no two planes are the same. Next time you are at the hobby shop. Pick up 5 sticks of the same size balsa. Even without a scale you will have an easy time picking out the lightest and heaviest of the 5. It's the same issue with CG. It's common to read about two guys with the same plane and same engine having much different result when balancing the plane. One plane will be dead on and the next be nose heavy. One plane can also go down a line with a a lot of glue, and the next be thin on glue. It's the nature of mass production.

It should also be said, the lightest and straightest does not always fly the best.

David
Old 09-04-2012, 07:40 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Dave is right in that no two models of the same type and manufacturer will weigh exactly the same and there are occasions where you'll get one with some just flat heavy wood in the beast. That's why you pay so much for competition grade balsa for instance and then the guys will weigh each piece before using it for a model.

The single wing rib aileron servo mount was really problematic and Horizon changed it without admitting it was a problem. I know one guy who flew his for years without issue and another who had one wing disintegrate not too long after he put it together.

I would NOT fly it without fixing the aileron servo mount issue. The fact that Horizon changed it mid production run and all the complaining you see on here if you look up the old Funtana 90 threads, should testify to the need. My friend's model with the 26cc gasser will NOT HOVER at this altitude and his weight but mine will....
Old 09-04-2012, 10:14 AM
mizm1220

Thanks for all your help guys. Zeeb, i'm gonna reinforce those servo mounts as you and countless others are suggesting as i scanned through the threads. That was just me not using my brain again and realizing an already weak point on the plane is probably reeeally fatigued after 7 years! I get to add more weight yea! I'm kidding but thanks again.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:02 PM
mizm1220

Well guys me and a fellow flyer finally made it to the field this morning for the maiden. Couldn't go saturday because the president was in town and it rained all day sunday. Anywho, you guys were dead on and i was worried over nothing, the plane flew wonderfully! I did an engine on/off range check and a few taxi runs,cleared her throat and off she went! Darn thing actully surprised me because the take off run was all but nonexistent. With the weight issue stuck in my head i figured it would just run off the end of the runway and was brieflycaught off guard when it lifted. Made a few circuits and required very few clicksto trim it out and some "VERY" slow passes to judge my landing speed. It's not exactly a floater at this weight but is on of the most well mannered and stable planes i've ever flown.It took every ounce of my being to not flip the switch into high rates and do something stupid!(saving that for next weekend). That little rcg 26 absolutely screams through an upline and so far is worth the few pennies i paid for it.Not oneproblem since it came out of the box. A coulple of landings turned into touch-n-go's but other than that she went where she was pointed and stayed there patiently awaiting orders.I love this thing already! Thanks for all your help guys!!!
Old 09-10-2012, 07:09 PM
frankle951

Sweet !!!!!!!
Old 09-11-2012, 06:51 AM
daveopam

Great news!! Fly it like you stole it.

david
Old 01-15-2013, 07:12 AM
Yakabow

Just purchased a funtana 90. Wonder if anyone knows will horizons new funtana cowl and wheel pants fit the yellow funtana 90? Please inbox me if u have the answers.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:14 AM
Yakabow

Will horizons new funtana cowl and wheel pants fit the funtana 90? Please inbox me if u know. Thanks
Old 01-15-2013, 08:46 AM
frankle951

Yes it will !!!!!
Old 01-17-2013, 08:51 PM
mizm1220

Yes sir, they fit perfectly. This is a jewel of a plane! The rest of my hangar is getting very dusty. post some pics of your setup.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:23 PM
Yakabow

It's not quite set up yet,,,it will be dle20,,,jr servos,,,I just purchased the funtana. And by luck I found another one today,always good to have a back up.  I will post pix as soon as it is ready.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:26 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

subscribed....