Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Carbon fiber vs wood - advantages?

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Carbon fiber vs wood - advantages?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 07:29 AM
grosbeak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Carbon fiber vs wood - advantages?

I'm wondering about CF propellers for a couple of reasons. The airplane is a 30% SBach 342 with a DA-50. I have not flown it yet, but will be using it for IMAC in 2013.

Reason #1 - Prop strikes
To be perfectly honest, this is the main reason. I've busted a lot of wooden props and I'm wondering if CF props are more tolerant of prop strikes

Reason #2 - IMAC
Are there advantages in performance?
Old 11-26-2012, 07:51 AM
grosbeak

Default RE: Carbon fiber vs wood - advantages?

Yeah... grass field
Old 11-26-2012, 10:58 AM
K-Bob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are much stronger, so they take a little more abuse and also don't flex as much.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:31 AM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

As K-Bob has already said, carbon fiber props don't flex near as much as wood does, thus making them more efficient and quieter. Wood tends to flatten out at higher rpms thus losing thrust and gaining rpm and making more noise

Now I'll address the noise, being you're showing you are from the Ottawa area, that places you in the Northeast region for IMAC. I am the incoming regional director for the northeast and over the last couple of years, noise has become a huge concern. We have lost close to a dozen flying fields to noise, that I am aware over. About half of those were IMAC friendly fields. Not one blamed them entirely on IMAC but it is my goal for the next two years to help everyone in the region to understand what is happening, so I respectfully am asking all IMAC pilots or those considering IMAC to be mindful of their planes sound signature. There are many ways to do that but the most important is good exhaust systems and good throttle management.

IMAC is often looked upon unfavorably when it comes to sound, but in the NE region it is a huge problem, more so than any other region IMAC has. In 2009-2010, as the RD back then, I ran around all over the region, Canada included and had a very quiet, yet very powerful 100cc plane and you cannot believe how many people said to me that they never thought you could get a plane that quiet and yet be that powerful. I had a very tight airframe, nice 3-blade CF prop, headers and canisters on a DA100 all in the most noisiest airframe you can imagine (Comp-Arf Extra 260). Comp_Arf's are well known to make a lot of noise if something is even a tiny bit loose. It just takes a bit of planning and good throttle management.

We have many 50cc planes that are extremely quiet, we also everything in-between and 50cc and 200cc airframes, all being very quiet and very powerful, that fly in our region,

Good luck and I hope to run into you at a contest or two next season.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:56 AM
grosbeak

Bill, thanks for the response. Given the responses in other forums I'll stick to wood until I've got some landing practice in with the SBach. It does have a canister and I am working on throttle management so both should help.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:32 PM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If breakage is a concern so is cost and that would keep me using wood props in your case. That said Hobby King has a series of carbon props that are "clones" of the older Mejzliks (spelling?) I've had. Not only do they look and work as the Mejzliks but they are a quarter the price. May be a good option for you, just don't tell anyone where you got them.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:33 PM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Evan makes a good point. Plus I wasn't aware of the Hobby King thingy, wish I knew that a couple of weeks ago when I order the Mej props from DA [&:]
Old 11-26-2012, 04:06 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

When you are ready for a CF prop, look at the Falcon 23X9. I am currently running one on a DLE 55 with a canister set up. Very quiet, great upline pull and good downline breaking.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:40 AM
K-Bob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: evan-RCU

If breakage is a concern so is cost and that would keep me using wood props in your case. That said Hobby King has a series of carbon props that are "clones" of the older Mejzliks (spelling?) I've had. Not only do they look and work as the Mejzliks but they are a quarter the price. May be a good option for you, just don't tell anyone where you got them.
.... and make double sure no one is in front of them......

Old 11-27-2012, 06:35 AM
evan-RCU

True, never stand in front of any prop (or directly to the side). Though if you are implying that the HK prop is sub standard I don't agree with you. It is every bit as good as my same size Mejzlik props.

ORIGINAL: K-Bob

ORIGINAL: evan-RCU

If breakage is a concern so is cost and that would keep me using wood props in your case. That said Hobby King has a series of carbon props that are ''clones'' of the older Mejzliks (spelling?) I've had. Not only do they look and work as the Mejzliks but they are a quarter the price. May be a good option for you, just don't tell anyone where you got them.
.... and make double sure no one is in front of them......

Old 11-27-2012, 07:18 AM
rafeeki
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Bill,
Your response and explanation about sound control is worthy of publishing in the AMA's magazine.

Rafeek
Old 11-27-2012, 07:53 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't want to be standing anywhere near a plane spinning a large CF prop with the name Turnigy on it  without wearing full riot gear !
Old 11-27-2012, 09:30 AM
grosbeak

Given what I've learned, the SBach will be wearing a wooden prop for the foreseeable future.

Bill, were you at the 2012 IMAC judging seminar that Isabel Deslauriers gave this spring?
Old 11-27-2012, 09:50 AM
evan-RCU

I flew the prop all summer and fall, have hours on it with no issues... Balance was perfect as received and it works...

ORIGINAL: flyinwalenda

I wouldn't want to be standing anywhere near a plane spinning a large CF prop with the name Turnigy on it without wearing full riot gear !