Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Opinions please!! - GP Edge 540 27%

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Opinions please!! - GP Edge 540 27%

Old 12-07-2012, 01:57 PM
aerialsports
My Feedback: (130)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Opinions please!! - GP Edge 540 27%

I have flown this plane with both the dle30cc and the O.S.33 gas.. I would honestly go with the dle for the price and it flew every bit as good.. The great planes edge is a nice plane but you will have to remember it is a one piece wing and if space is a problem for transportation you might want to go with something with a two piece wing.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:16 PM
nitro wing
My Feedback: (1)

The pilot edge can be bought as a gas engine
Combo , probably a better bet if vying a motor too

Wonder if the gp is on sale because they
Are scrapping it??
Old 12-07-2012, 03:33 PM
avidflyguy
My Feedback: (48)

just bought one for a winter project, going with an os 1.60 that i have, unless i can find a moki/mark 2.10 cheap, would have bought one sooner but i was flip flopping about the 1 piece wing, really wish it had a wing tube. got mine for 240.00 after tower discounts if you are a super saver member, can't beat that.
Old 12-07-2012, 03:53 PM
Fontanooch
My Feedback: (42)

This fellow flyer is asking about the great plane edge. Why do people have to bring up am different Mfg. He dids not ask about aerowork. When a flyer ask about a model stick to that model
Old 12-07-2012, 04:46 PM
corvettez06
My Feedback: (8)

ORIGINAL: avidflyguy

just bought one for a winter project, going with an os 1.60 that i have, unless i can find a moki/mark 2.10 cheap, would have bought one sooner but i was flip flopping about the 1 piece wing, really wish it had a wing tube. got mine for 240.00 after tower discounts if you are a super saver member, can't beat that.
I used my super saver discount and received the same deal. I cannot wait to receive this plane. Although i do have experience with gas, (I have two Saito gas four strokes and previously owned a dle 20cc) Ihave decided to go with the OS 160fx because I got a great deal on one with a Pitts muffler. I would also like to put a pump on it as another member has suggested. Hopefully this plane will get me started on the road to 3D.

I appreciate every comment and opinion so far. Thanks.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:04 PM
nitro wing

ORIGINAL: Fontanooch

This fellow flyer is asking about the great plane edge. Why do people have to bring up am different Mfg. He dids not ask about aerowork. When a flyer ask about a model stick to that model
Re eading the original question, he is inquirng about it and asking for suggestions or even avoiding it, leaving the options of suggesting a perhaps overlooked other product. Also, he may not be aware of the one piece wing, which can be a deal breaker for many. I dont see anything wrong with mentioning other similar planes. many are not aware of the huge other choices out there.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:17 PM
dverret
My Feedback: (6)

FYI...The GP Edge 540 is well built and light and would be perfect with a G-45. I just bought one and almost have it finished, however, I'm going electric. Be aware that this plane has a one-piece wing! I failed to notice this when I purchased it. So, if transportation is an issue, the wing is large as a one-piece unit. Otherwise, the model is a great start for aerobatics. I also have the GP Extra 330SC and it's almost identical in dimensions. I have a DLE 55 on it and it is a "rocket". The two planes weigh the same, so, if you're looking for adequate power a G-45 would be a perfect match. I also have the 42" electric version of the Edge 540 and it flies great as well. I expect the big one to be even better. For the money, it is a great deal. I shopped around for a while before making the purchase (ie, 3D hobbyshop, extreme flight, aeroworks etc) and for the price of one of these planes, you can get the Edge and engine for the same price.
Hope the information helps. Good Luck.

Drew
Old 12-07-2012, 06:19 PM
nute12
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

one piece wing would be a issue for me. but if you have a good way to transport it and protect from hangar rash go for it. For ease of tune and dependability the gas engine is the way to go IMHO. i love gas because of the ease....i take the plane/tx/gas can and flip and fly. No starter needed, no re-tune for weather, not near the issue with unsuitable fuel. no glo plug igniter to mess with, the weight penalty is usually not existant because ya carry 1/3 the fuel. I went fro a 24 oz tank to fly my ulti with a 180 glo, to a 10 oz tank to switch over with a gas 30cc. got 12 minutes out of both, the gas stil had quite a bit left in the tank after 12 minutes.....the glo was on glide mode. i see ya said cost of fuel was not a issue to ya and thats cool........but 5 bucks to fly all day vs 25 bucks a gallon for glow..... It takes alot of flyin to get a gallon thru a 30cc gas motor. even a 50 cc for that matter.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:20 PM
Giant_Scale_Gasser
My Feedback: (84)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: zacharyR

ORIGINAL: wyo69cowboy

Though I've never been around this GP Edge in person, I'd bet with a new DLE35 and a single battery setup like the TechAero IBEC or RCEXL kill switch/BEC, it'd fly nicely. I think the big knock on this airplane is that it's a single piece, 78'' wing. Might present tranport issues for some...

just another reason the pilot 30cc edge is suprior to this thing ..

and the guy talking about the dle55ra for this plane it's not big enough for that motor
Why isn't the plane big enough?

My GP Yak54 flies wonderfully on a G45 and the DLE 55RA is lighter, by about 1lb or so. It would be ballistic.

Old 12-07-2012, 08:06 PM
nitro wing

There is a difference between having a rocket, ballistic plane, and one that TRUELY performs well with a light wing loading and allows a pilot to really excel at pushing the flight envelope of the plane and the pilot

Sticking an outdated Zenoah in this thing works, but not ideal, and 50cc is just killing the overall performance, thats a fact.

Of course many are just happy burning holes in the sky, with an overpowered plane that does not have IDEAL wing loading, doing fast aerobatics and hovers all day, and most are just happy with that. Nothing wrong with it. It will fly and land all day long, but usuallly those pilots wonder how "others" can do those risky, low down stalled manouvers and have agility, below stall speed...

Then, there are the individuals, that will pay a bit more, for an upgraded airframe, use a more refined motor, select servos to match the task etc.
Often these RC pilots are looking to be better than average, looking for ways to fly into another skills set with confidence. Thats is why we have some Companies that offer better airframes, and they cost more, that is an option for those that want it.

One has to decide, who you are, happy with average, or wanting better? or best.

Only decider would be 30cc or 50cc and budget and transportationfor the OP
30cc is cheaper, as most MG servos will do the job fine, where a 50cc aerobat benefits from higher end servos which are 100$ each average.

If getting the GP,keep it light, you wanted to have a more capable plane, dont load it up with xtra power from a big motor.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:31 AM
straitnickel

This Edge has a one piece wing, you got to consider transporting
The landing gear looks funny, I changed to carbon fiber front and back.
Mine had a BME50, more than enough power.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:33 AM
bbbair

Well... he asked for OPINIONS...

I dare say that SEVERAL Varying opinions have now been expressed.

Time for a decision.

Happy Landings!
Old 12-08-2012, 11:09 AM
emilsanto
My Feedback: (39)

I would look at cheif aircraft or vallley view rc. i would buy a pilot 30cc or 3dhs before the lead sleads that greatplanes makes.
i got a 3dhs 72" extra and dle 35 for 720 shipped. and the3dhs edge is 440.00 and is a better airframes all around.
as much as i liked great planes arfs in the past they are just outdated now.
i would have bought a aeroworks extra 260 freestyle if they wernt sold out.

if you want a edge go for pilot or 3dhs. way better with great hardware. use you tower piont on a motor if you want
Old 12-19-2012, 06:32 PM
DLEVETT
My Feedback: (13)

I have one of these Edge 540,s.
It is well built, very light and a lot of bang for your buck!
The one piece wing is the only negative I can come up with, well maybe the funky gear too, but thats an easy mod.
If you like the looks buy one for $240 delivered and enjoy.

Dave