Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Servo choice?

Men, just trying to get the pulse on servos. Building. 30% Yak 54 ( 87")
    I don't want to spend a million dollars on servos but don't want something that will fail or have bad centering and such.
    I am thinking of thos power Hd metal gear deals, they list very strong specs but are analog and almost too cheap to believe.
    Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Servo choice?

Have them in two jets no problem
    don\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'cry\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\' till\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'it hits

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Get these,digital http://www.valuehobby.com/radio-syst...tal-servo.html and pick up some burners!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Personally I did not like them. They were slow. If you weren't doing precision or 3d I suppose they would work. I would look into OMG servos there is a thread on flying giants about them

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Get some Savox
    Andy - Helicopter Forum Moderator
    AMA 77227 Leader Member- Contest Director
    www.JaxRC.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am thinking of using some align ds 610's which are savox. 164 oz from my heli stuff
    Can at least use them on everything but rudder.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I was in the same boat on a 30cc. Ended up going with Savox 1258's as I didn't want to sacrifice performance just because I wasn't spending $100 per servo. I ended up buying them from rc hobbies 4 life. They have some poor reviews online but I have no complaints. The were $50 a piece and arrived in 4 days. The next closest price I could find was $65 per servo. Btw for a 50cc I would go with the Savox 1256tg instead of the 1258tg.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: BarracudaHockey

Get some Savox

+ 1

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I've got a couple Savox 1258's I'll sell for 30.00 each. I personally did not like them, did not center as well as I was expecting.
    Of course it's true, I read it on the Internet.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The 9150s are working good for me, and center well, but I'm not an all out 3D kind of pilot. I have been looking at the XQ Power servos:
    http://www.sdshobby.net/xq-power-20k...l#.UNTNRXnnapo

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Texastbird

The 9150s are working good for me, and center well, but I'm not an all out 3D kind of pilot. I have been looking at the XQ Power servos:
    http://www.sdshobby.net/xq-power-20k...l#.UNTNRXnnapo
    For 3D and sport flying they are just fine but when I try to get through a decent IMAC sequence, the airplane is all over the place.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yeah, I am going to start blaming it on the servos, too, Speed. Then what servo does it take to be competitive with?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

LOL It's the servos, yea thats it............ The airplane before this one was pretty much identical except it had JR 8611A servos on all surfaces and flew great. Not sure what I'm going to replace the Savox's with at this point. Looking really close at Hitec 7955s

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Looks good, I have to get through Christmas and a new engine in my Denali before I can think airplane parts again. Being an adult with priorities sucks LOL

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have had very good results with Hyperion Atlas HP-DH20-UTD servos. They are programmable, titanium gear, high voltage, aluminum case, 291-333oz, dual ball bearing servos. I use 8 of them in my 35% Extra 330 and they are simply the most bang for the buck, in my opinion.

In opposing dual servo applications like the rudder, I will say the dead band is a little tight (even after programming) and they will fight each other a little hunting for neutral, but that is really the only complaint I have on them to date. These operate and feel much like a 7954SH Hitec, although they do seem to absorb a little more battery per flight than the Hitecs.

I have 10 of them ready to install in my 40% Sukhoi project and I have no reservations about using them in any big aircraft. We sell these for $46.95 each and have sold 40 or 50 now with positive feedback from customers as well as my own personal experience.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

So far I've had good results with the XQ 4020's and the HD 9150's. I fly mostly precision, and try at 3D.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Many good brands out there now that don't cost a small fortune and perform flawlessly. I have had great success with the PowerHD line and use the TG units on the bigger birds. Exceptionally fast, center well, and no issues after a year now.

I was previously using Power HD but not the TG servos until this year. I just used the MG and had super success for three years running now without a single failure at all. I am sure Savox, XQ, Hyperion, and others do just as well as PowerHD.

The amazing thing to me is you can buy the HDs for instance for about 1/3 to half of the cost of say a Hitec that doesn't even perform as well. I had some top of the line Hitecs on a plane and performance just did nto match the HDs. I put the Hitecs in a box and they are sitting on my shelf with little to no use on them.

Sort of bugs you when the high end name brand stuff just doesn't cut it and yet you pay premium dollar for them. Maybe the competition will get someone like Hitec to get off the high-horse and become more price competitive.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm installing some Turnigy 9150's in a Pitts 50cc on elevators and rudder, have not flown yet, but a bit nervous about them. I agree that some of these HK servos don't center consistently, like the famous Hitec 5645. How many of you guys experienced centering problem with the 9150???
    The new Hitec 5855's are marked for the 50cc 3D market, and at $69 bucks not too bad. I have limited experience with these new servos.
    I agree that Hitec 7955 are overpriced, but they do give peace of mind for that 3D machine.
    Go Ducks

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have several HD 9150's in use. Not sure if its the same as the Turnigy 9150. So far, they have performed well. Quick, powerful, and center well. I fly mostly IMAC style, so they are not hammered a lot, but I would notice it if the centering was off.