Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

ISC PITTS CHALLENGER ll

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 02:52 PM
Steve S. Helland
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ISC PITTS CHALLENGER ll

I have noted a lack of info on RCU or anywhere else about the ISC 1-800-COLLECT PITTS CHALLENGER ll Biplane. I have been flying this one for years and mine weighs 23 Lbs. I use a Zenoah G-62 with a laminated 22X10 prop for power.
0 degrees down thrust. 2 degrees right thrust. Both wings at 0 degrees incidence. Horizontal stabilizer -2 degrees.
I have just gone through the whole airplane and made a mistake on setting the CG at 33% of the MAC. The flight was almost a complete failure...she was tail heavy because I got rid of the magneto setup and went with RCXell ignition which dropped almost a pound out of the nose. I checked the CG after carefully calculating it to be at 7.5 inches from the leading edge of the top wing. This was wrong and I almost flew into the crowd and the tail hung low during turns. I barely made it back to the runway and landed it in one piece. I am now adding an aluminum bracket to the firewall to hold the nose weight just under the cowling and I am going to fly it with the CG set at 7 inches from the leading edge of the top wing. (7 inches is 30% of the MAC)
I am using 4 aileron servos via the new Smart-Fly sport+ power expander which allows me to plug each of the 4 aileron servos into thier own port vs. Y-harnessing. Since the power expander is buried and I am unable to tell whether it is energized or not I wired a green LED up to the cockpit deck. I really think this power expander is cool! (It's my first one)
No it does not hover with the G-62. It would need to weigh alot less. It does however have excellent vertical performance and flies very scale with smoke on.
If anyone knows the proper CG of this airplane please let me know!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq48128.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	1886877