Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

bill hempel decathalon

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 06:51 PM
joseph1266
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bill hempel decathalon

hey guys,
just bought a bill hempel 25% decathalon. it is ready to fly. a freind of mine sent me a video of a larger one shearing a wing in a slow roll. does anyone know about these planes? if there is a design issue, is there a remedy? it is a beautiful plane and seems really well designed and built. i would like to keep it around a while. so anything would be helpful. also a guy i know bought the yak 55m, he raves about it so this might have been an anomoly. or a problem created before flight. any info would be helpful. also i have a da50 up front, notto much motor is it?
Old 07-11-2013, 07:35 AM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: bill hempel decathalon

I've seen a few of Bill Hemple's airplanes and all I can say is WOW. They are huge. If it wasn't the exact aircraft you have, I would not worry about it. Two airplanes of the same outline are built differently if they are of different sizes. Bill would not be in business too long if his customers start thinking that his aircraft have design problems. When you drop that kind of money on a 50% aircraft, you also have a lot of friends, and a lot of money to come after the company legally.

I'm actually thinking of getting a 33% or bigger Decathlon sometime in the future. I would love to own the 50% BD-5 listed on his website.

I'm curious to see the video you reference, would you mind posting a link?

Rafael
Old 07-11-2013, 03:48 PM
BillJ
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 4 Hempel airplanes... All are built well and fly well... If the video you are referring to is the 57%at an airshow.. My understanding is the airplane was powered by a ZDZ 420 instead of a 3w 275.
I could speculate that the aircraft could easily exceed V-NE in even a shallow dive with too much throttle.... I've never had any issue with mine with the 275...
Old 07-12-2013, 06:29 PM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Not saying that any of the Hemple airplanes have issues, but if you buy ARFs instead of building yourself, you never really know whats under all that sheeting and covering do you...

Bob