Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Balsa USA 1/4 scale Nieuport 17 PLEASE HELP!!

It's getting close to that time of year again and I'm trying to decide on a winter building project. I'm thinking about the Balsa USA Nieuport 17

Does anyone have any experience with this kit (kit quality,building difficulty, power, setup, finish etc. etc.)

I was thinking about maybe using a converted 31cc Ryobi engine for power any other suggestions?
    Iknow this kit's porpuse was not to be identical to scale but I would like to make it as close to the real thing as possible.

Thanks in Advance!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Balsa USA 1/4 scale Nieuport 17 PLEASE HELP!!

Well I know this thread is old, But if anyone else is starting this kit I would highly recommend using HARDWOOD Spars. My first set of wings (balsa spars) would "sag" quiet a bit. I noticed the same condition w/ other Nieuports at Rhinebeck. My second wings were built using the hardwood spars and you can see the difference. This is a GREAT flying airplane!

Ray.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Balsa USA 1/4 scale Nieuport 17 PLEASE HELP!!

Wow you did dig this one up from the back of the forum ! hahhahahh

I have a friend with this plane, no problem with wing sag, flies great, and he lost a tail wire last summer, nearly went into tail destructive flutter.

good looking on the ground, and in the air... i think the purists will say the lower wing chord is way off... but its nice flying/looking plane to most.