Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Trying to Decide--First Yak--30 or 50 cc

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Trying to Decide--First Yak--30 or 50 cc

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 04:14 PM
phakur
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to Decide--First Yak--30 or 50 cc

Hi all-

Been flying planes for about three years now and consider myself an OK pilot--not really into 3D but am trying some things like knife edge and such.

I am looking at getting a new plane a bit more acrobatic than what I have which includes a giant stik, 30 cc and a smaller escapade among other not so acrobatic planes like a Bravata.

Anyway, the guy who taught me the basics suggested that I move up to a Yak 54 which can be toned down a bit to my skill level and then increased up as I improve.

I am OK with that and have been looking at a Yak 54 made by Pilot RC-30cc.

But I have thought a bit about moving up to 50cc and am willing to do so if it is worthwhile.

Of course one key--it needs to fit in my car--I own a Hyundai Santa Fe so I think I will be OK.

Anyway--just wanted to see what people thought.and recommendations too!!!

Larry
Old 08-14-2013, 06:09 AM
ultra6a
My Feedback: (27)

Bigger always flies better. I would go with the 50cc Yak.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:13 AM
maukaonyx

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I think going with Pilot is a good idea. I have had my eye on the 30cc version. I fly the Pilot 30cc Sbach and think it flies big and is just much more transportable to the field than my 50cc AW Ultimate. Comparing those two, I say my 30cc Sbach flies as well and as big as the 50cc Ultimate. That is just me...everyone has their own feel and preferences. BTW comparing Pilot to AW quality, the former is just as good if not better in every way than the latter, based just on these two planes I have, and also the Bravata. Jon
Old 08-15-2013, 12:27 PM
zacharyR
My Feedback: (5)

those are two differnt airplanes and shouldn't be used a a bench mark .. the bib just ins't a 3d machine that that Sbach fly's poorly also .. so if you like the Sbach just think what your missing ..
Old 08-23-2013, 07:32 PM
sport10

I would recommend the 50cc also. The Yak 55M also flies similar to the yak 54 so you might want to consider it also. A dle 55 would be a good engine for both. Not too expensive and reliable.
Old 08-24-2013, 05:55 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Speaking strictly on the 30cc vs 50cc issue. Bigger does fly better. Especially in less than ideal conditions like strong winds. This is a concern in my area. But some of the new 30cc planes are outstanding. The 30cc is also easier to transport and you can have two 30cc planes for the price a nice 50cc plane. It's always a personal decision and I have both sizes, but for a quick trip to the field on a nice day the 30cc is my choice.

David
Old 09-01-2013, 09:30 PM
Redback

To get my 50cc Yak into my Subaru Forester I have to take 1/2 the stab off and wind the passenger seat all way forward. Wife drives a Santa Fe, think it might be a fraction longer.

Terry