Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Ultra Stick in Futaba 9Z radio??

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Ultra Stick in Futaba 9Z radio??

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 01:21 PM
sea157
My Feedback: (30)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ultra Stick in Futaba 9Z radio??

Could anyone tell me how to setup the Hanger 9 Ultra Stick 120 in a Futaba 9Z radio?

They only list the Futaba 8U radio set up in the manual.
Thanks for any help.
Old 04-21-2015, 07:18 PM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

It's all in the radio set up, I have an Ultra Stick like yours with a Hitec 9 channel and the reciever will do what the transmitter tells it! I don't know anything about you Futaba but once you figure it out
you are set. Wish I could be more help...............BTW what engine do you have. I use a Valleyview 20 cc gas which works out well.
Old 04-22-2015, 03:54 AM
sea157

Yes I understand the radio can do it but I need to know how and what to program into it to operate the Ultra Stick to its full potential.
I have a DLE 30cc in my Ultra Stick.
Old 04-22-2015, 07:22 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Okay I've seen a couple of posts from you about programming the Futaba 9Z and as you might have guessed from the responses or lack thereof, there isn't any easy answer to your question. If you are not at least somewhat familiar with Futaba programming and can remember a bunch of 3 letter acronyms, life is going to be very difficult.

The 9Z is a very powerful radio even now but it was almost revolutionary when it came out, however it is NOT user friendly. When I got mine I spent three days trying to figure out how to do a triple rate control deflection of all surfaces on one switch. I was ready to throw the thing in the trash by the time I figured it out. As Bax told you or intimated, you're going to have to figure this out yourself unless one of the old guys like me has a better memory than I do for that stuff. You can do some searches here and I know the search engine does not work real well but there are some older threads, say 7 or 8 years with guys who knew the radio answering questions.

Remember to do a backup of whatever model you are working on when you get various items like say the dual elevator servos programmed. Then if you screw up (which is extremely easy to do with the 9Z) you can just restore it to where you were rather than start over from the beginning each time. Remember also something that the Futaba guys are fond of saying about the 18MZ; conditions are your friend, learn to use them and the 9Z does have conditions.

Sorry I cannot be of more direct help, I'm just trying to relate a bit of what I learned when I flew with a 9Z WCII radio.
Old 04-22-2015, 05:30 PM
Gizmo-RCU

Sea 157, suggest you start on small control settings and work up, what I always do..........the 30 should really do the job!
Wish I could provide more help! Good Luck.
Old 04-24-2015, 11:08 AM
sea157

OK guys I am starting slow, one thing at a time as Gizmo suggested.
So far I have all the throws setup.
I have my duel rates setup on my (D) switch
I now have the flaps to aileron’s set up for full ailerons on my (A) switch.
Next I will try to tackle the Crow setup.

BUT I HAVE ONE PROBLEM
How can I turn off the left slider switch?
Every time I accidently hit or move this slider my flap position changes and throws everything out of position!
Is there any way you can turn this slider switch off?
Old 04-24-2015, 01:23 PM
Gizmo-RCU

Might be better to inquire about the 9Z radio? (I never had any experiance wit it myself) Just a thought?

Good luck!
Old 04-24-2015, 01:50 PM
sea157

I now have the slider disabled; BAX from the Futaba Support forum helped me with it.

Tomorrow I will try to setup the Crow (Butterfly) condition; if I get that setup I will be VERY HAPPY!
Getting closer to flying it!!!!!
Old 04-25-2015, 05:46 AM
Gizmo-RCU

Good luck!!!
Old 04-25-2015, 07:22 AM
sea157

OK guys I am getting there!
I now have the Crow (Butterfly) function setup on switch “C”, and it works perfect, I am very happy!

Next step onto the flap to elevator function.
Old 04-25-2015, 09:42 AM
sea157

Ok guys I have it ALL programmed now!!
Duel rates on switch (D) up for high rates and down for low rates.
Flaps to Ailerons on switch (A) up to activate.
Crow (Butterfly) on switch (C) down to activate. (Switch (C) in center position does nothing)
Flaps to Elevator on switch (C) up to activate. (Switch (C) in center position does nothing)
Flaps down on switch (H) up to activate

ALL WORKING GREAT, I am VERY HAPPY!!
Thanks for all your help and Gizmo thanks for suggestion to not look at the BIG PICTURE just take one step at a time.

After every successful programming step I would save the model in my number 10 model slot.
That way if I made a mistake I could just copy model number 10 and start over without losing what I had already programmed correct.
Old 04-25-2015, 05:57 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by sea157
After every successful programming step I would save the model in my number 10 model slot.
That way if I made a mistake I could just copy model number 10 and start over without losing what I had already programmed correct.
Works well doesn't it? The 9Z was what got me into the habit and now I have a backup of every model on my radios. That way you can make adjustments at the field and if they work, just copy over the old backup. Get yourself a CAMPAC module, I think Hansen Hobbies can still get you one and it'll increase the available model memory slots considerably.

Glad you got it working.
Old 04-26-2015, 06:47 AM
sea157

Zeeb,
Thanks for all your tips.
Since I set this model up in the 9Z I learned A LOT about how you work with this radio.
You can do almost anything in it once you know how to set up conditions in it.
I will have to go to the Hansen Hobbies site and see about getting a CAMPAC just to store the complex plane settings as a backup.

Thanks again
Steve
Old 04-27-2015, 05:01 PM
Gizmo-RCU

You are most welcome, glad things are going well. I have a Hitec 9 that the book for it is best discarded after a few basics. Wonderful radio that I can now wize thru on set-up.........took a while for my 72 year old mind to sort it out.

NOW GO HAVE FUN!!!!
Old 04-28-2015, 03:58 AM
sea157

Yes Gizmo I think that was my problem at first, at 66 years old I am not as tech savvy as I was at 36.
But after setting this model up it is coming back to me.
Now I can’t wait until the wind dies down a little so I can maiden this plane.