Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Fly-Model Slick 540 50cc

Old 02-01-2014, 08:25 AM
Mpizpilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Fly-Model Slick 540 50cc

Picked this up off the RCU marketplace. $350 shipped to my door. Did a bunch of research and really could not find much out about them. Looks like are a manufacturer that builds and sells stuff that nitroplanes carries. Also seem to produce stuff for other companies. Anyway, this one is a spitting image of the EG Slick except that it does not have the Carbon fiber tubes, gear, spinner and gear cuffs. I did opt for the $15 cf wing tube though.

Mine just arrived this morning after ordering it Monday night. I have to say that this thing is very,very nice. From the quick once over I gave it, I can't find any issues. The covering job is perfect, just as good as any high end manufacturer might do. My cowl does have some spider cracks in the paint from shipping, we'll see if this gets resolved.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	606
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	1964330   Click image for larger version

Views:	494
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	1964331   Click image for larger version

Views:	445
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	1964332   Click image for larger version

Views:	405
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	1964333  
Old 02-03-2014, 11:49 AM
zx32tt

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Looks just like the EG Slick I have. Super price.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:08 PM
rlytle

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Just ordered the 30cc model. Hope it looks as good as yours. $244 shipped. How's the build going?
Old 03-06-2014, 05:27 PM
Mpizpilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It's next on the bench. And btw, I was shipped a new cowl, no fuss, no muss. I've got nothing but good to say about this plane and seller
Old 03-07-2014, 02:43 AM
rlytle

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That's good news. Hope you post how the build goes.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:29 AM
hoverlow44

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Have you flown her yet?

Im curious to know if it actually flies as good as it looks. I've gotten burned in the past before by planes that were inexpensive, looked good, and were built pretty well, but fly like crap. So if this actually performs well, and isn't a night mare to balance out. Let me know!
Old 03-17-2014, 09:33 AM
rlytle

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Not trying to hijack the thread. My 30cc Slick from Fly Model looks pretty well built. The hardware was good. Not much glue showing on the inside so I am going over what can be reached. I reinforced the firewall area as I will be using a 30cc gasser. Landing gear area looks pretty well built as is. Landing gear block is reinforced from factory with aluminum angle. The foam floor of my canopy was cracked and there was glue put on the crack before it was packaged. I will be reinforcing the canopy floor and be putting in a decent pilot not the pos included. Covering was nice and tight. Gave it a going over anyway. Some of the hardware I ditched and used better options I had in my supply. Just glued the hinges in last night. Will be installing radio gear today.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:02 PM
BAS

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Any more updates with this brand really good prices in the RCU airplanes for sale section. Curious as to how the builds are going plus how they fly ect. ?
Old 04-03-2014, 03:37 AM
rlytle

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The 30cc model was fairly well built. I didn't do anything for the landing gear area as I felt it looked strong enough. I did reinforce the firewall area as I felt there were just to many lightning holes. The only issues I encountered was the rudder counter balancer is off about 3/16" when the rudder is straight. While this could be fixed by rebuilding the rudder I choose to fly the plane first and have not found it to be a problem. As long as I set it up with the rudder being straight having the counter balancer off a little has no effect that I have found so far. The other issue was with an aileron being off 1/8" from one end of the aileron to the other end. Again it could be fixed by reverse building but I choose to fly it first and have not found an issue flying. The plane needed two clicks of elevator and fly's level. It is a big 30cc size plane compared with a Pilot Extra 260. I now have 6 ten minute flights and have found this is an easy plane to land. It pulls to the canopy in knife edge requiring some coupling. If one wants a perfect plane they will need to spend twice what this one costs and then will still have an airframe that is not perfect. Good deal for the money in my opinion.
Old 04-03-2014, 03:14 PM
BAS

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sounds good don't need a plane right now but like all the reviews I haven't heard anything real negative so far
Old 04-03-2014, 05:00 PM
Mpizpilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'm planning on getting into the build this weekend. I'll take a few pics and notes.
Old 04-04-2014, 01:11 AM
BAS

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ok do that I am surprised I haven't heard anything about this company over on the ***********s ??
Old 04-06-2014, 04:33 AM
Mpizpilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Started yesterday. Got it on its gear and mounted the engine. As mentioned, there is aluminum angle for the gear, but looks like it needs some glue. Spacing from firewall to front of engine is 6 1/8". I'm using an EME 55 and I had to cut down the stand offs and open up the hole in the firewall to allow the carb to recess. The EME is 6 3/4" with stock standoffs.

Most of the hardware looks to be useable, the wheel collars had aluminum set screws in them,lol.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	333
Size:	942.9 KB
ID:	1984488   Click image for larger version

Views:	369
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	1984489   Click image for larger version

Views:	340
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	1984490   Click image for larger version

Views:	438
Size:	985.8 KB
ID:	1984491  
Old 04-06-2014, 06:31 AM
BAS

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Looks real good I also bought a EME 55 V2 I am putting it on a 3dhobbyshop slick 89 " edge. For $250 it was a good bargin from MileHigh . It also came with Walbro carb and the new updated 8.4 ign. Looks like the cowl has a good paint job on it. It looks like the guy selling these on RCU is just about all sold out but he said more models and planes will be available in April. I wonder what kind of covering it has China Cote or similar most likely
Old 04-06-2014, 07:33 AM
rlytle

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

On my 30cc plane the cowl was about the best part of the plane. It had a real nice finish. The covering is not all that bad. It is not oracover or ultracoat. It is a step up from most of the China coat I have seen. Like all black covering the sun will have its way with it. I have not been able to get my 30cc plane to do an inverted flatspin. There was little glue used anywhere on my plane.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:39 AM
Mpizpilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlytle View Post
On my 30cc plane the cowl was about the best part of the plane. It had a real nice finish. The covering is not all that bad. It is not oracover or ultracoat. It is a step up from most of the China coat I have seen. Like all black covering the sun will have its way with it. I have not been able to get my 30cc plane to do an inverted flatspin. There was little glue used anywhere on my plane.
I agree about the glue, I'll be adding some more. As for the covering, it's as good as any other name brand model out there. I can't vouch for what it is, but as long as it holds up I'm not too worried. The plane is built very light, should be a good flyer.
Old 04-06-2014, 02:01 PM
BAS

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Even name brand expensive planes such as the newer Aeroworks planes don't use much glue I bought a 30cc Extra 260 last spring and paid big bucks for it . I don't even want to go to about all the glue issues this thing has had. Others have said the same. For the money you can afford to go over the places for lack of glue. Sounds like a winner .
Old 04-13-2014, 04:26 PM
Mpizpilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Just about finished, one wing panel left. I have to say this is a hell of a deal for what I payed, yes the hardware is pretty much crap. I used the ball links, pushrods, gear, wheels and cables. The screws and bolts are typical Chinese junk. The airframe itself is just awesome, I added some epoxy to the firewall and gear mount, that's about all I could see it needed. The more parts I pulled from the box to work on, the more impressed I was with the covering. It really is just about flawless. Just as good as any H9, topflite, aeroworks out there. Time will tell the story of its longevity, but so far I'm extremely happy.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	518
Size:	677.4 KB
ID:	1986746   Click image for larger version

Views:	393
Size:	569.3 KB
ID:	1986747  
Old 04-13-2014, 09:03 PM
BAS

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Wow looks very nice indeed thanks for the update and photos.
Old 04-20-2014, 09:29 PM
alexaggie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for starting a thread on this one!
Old 04-21-2014, 12:05 AM
BAS

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Anyone have any updates on how these birds fly - how are they holding up ??
Old 04-24-2014, 06:16 AM
rlinus

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAS View Post
Anyone have any updates on how these birds fly - how are they holding up ??
I don't have the 50CC but have two of the 30cc's with DLE 35RA's. MX2 and MXS-r. Both planes fly fantastic and my hat is off to the seller for his excellent service. These planes used to be sold by Nitroplanes but I don't think they sell them anymore. Check out rcjetsworld.com this is the sellers online store. I will buy from him again for sure. I'm thinking about a 50cc right now.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:49 AM
Mpizpilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I was hoping to maiden it this weekend, but it looks too windy. No real issues during the assembly, just as noted earlier the hardware is so so.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	294
Size:	621.5 KB
ID:	1989599   Click image for larger version

Views:	351
Size:	596.2 KB
ID:	1989600  
Old 04-24-2014, 11:02 AM
rlinus

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I replaced all the hinges with robart but the ones that were supplied would probably have been ok. Good luck with the maiden. I'm sure you won't be disappointed. It's not a Slick but here is a pic of my MX2.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	705
Size:	728.0 KB
ID:	1989614   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo1.jpg
Views:	652
Size:	787.5 KB
ID:	1989615  
Old 04-26-2014, 05:47 AM
Free Bird

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

A few years back, I had a EG 50cc Slick, it was my first 50cc model and I must say that it was an awesome plane. Built it all stock and of course added glue where I thought it was needed. I flew it for 2 years and then sold it and the new owner flew it for one season. He then sold it and it flew for almost another season before it was dumb thumbed into the ground. During this time, there was never any issues with the airframe, very solid! If this airframe is anything like the EG model, it'll be fine. It does have some coupling in knife edge, not much else to mention. Was a nice floater on landing. I did remove the black trim piece on the back wing that goes onto the aileron, trim scheme looks much better without it. Good luck with the plane!

FB

Search this Thread