Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Yak 55SP by Fly-Model 50cc

Old 07-26-2015, 02:35 PM
propstryker
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by iflyjr View Post
Order it on Tuesday last week got it today Virginia.

It was double box, I looked in side WOW I will take some pics.

Tim
What servos did you use to get it under $800?
Old 10-04-2015, 12:12 PM
Joe_L

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for posting the link to the US supplier of Fly Models! I bought an MX2 last year from Nitro Planes for $145 bucks and am very pleasantly surprised at how good it flys. Rolls are very axial and low speed stuff is rock solid. Even better than my Pilot R/C Sback! Unfortunately, it has the disgusting yellow and red finish but I can deal with that.

..Joe
Old 09-18-2016, 04:11 PM
slither

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by luckymacy View Post
Whats the distance from the firewall to the front of the cowl? Is there a built in option to mount the rudder servo in the tail or is there enough material in the rear to do it yourself?
I have the Saito FG60R3 radial for this plane, and I have discovered that the motor box is a little over 1.5" too long for this engine. I am not psyched about putting the carb into the fuse, though that might be an option. I am considering shortening the box. Interestingly, the motor box is too long for the DLE 55RA, as well.

As far as I know, there is no provision for a rear mounted rudder servo...

EDIT: I have removed the firewall from the motor box, using a heat gun, and I am looking at shortening the box. Should be relatively easy to do at this point...

Last edited by slither; 10-14-2016 at 08:29 PM.
Old 10-16-2016, 03:32 PM
luckymacy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have flown this plane now with a DLE-55 and then today with the Saito FG-60. I am happy to say that the Saito has 'unlimited vertical' in that I can take off, point the nose straight up with a full tank of gas and it climbs up slowly but surely until it's a really itsy bitsy small plane and I want to stop it. It's not going to be confused as a huckin 3D plane with this engine on but it flies really good! Like a good full scale acro plane. Tracks really well. I've decided to keep the Saito on it. It flies this plane a LOT better than it did the TF p-47 Tarheel Hal. I didn't weight it yet but i'll bet it flies the Yak better because it's probably at least 5 pounds lighter if not 7 pounds lighter. The first flight with the DLE was a deadstick and it glided in effortlessly. I have the throws set up just like the manual and the CG with the DLE was 6 inches back from the leading edge of the wing at the fuselage end. I didn't move the batteries so the CG with the with the Saito is going to be a littler further forward but it didn't fly like it was nose heavy. You'll be happy with the combo if you want a scale sounding and flying acro Yak.

On the ground I'm getting consistent 6300 rpm with a xoar carbon fiber 22x10 prop.

I didn't do any extra baffle work but I did open up the bottom of the cowl and I did cut open the louvers on the very bottom, left and right of the middle. After my last flight today I was about 173 Fahrenheit on the top cylinder and about 145 to 155 on the bottom two cylinders. I'm going to open up the louvers before next flight on the top left and right sides.

Last edited by luckymacy; 10-16-2016 at 03:35 PM.
Old 10-18-2016, 05:22 AM
luckymacy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have flown this plane now with a DLE-55 and then today with the Saito FG-60. I am happy to say that the Saito has 'unlimited vertical' in that I can take off, point the nose straight up with a full tank of gas and it climbs up slowly but surely until it's a really itsy bitsy small plane and I want to stop it. It's not going to be confused as a huckin 3D plane with this engine on but it flies really good! Like a good full scale acro plane. Tracks really well. I've decided to keep the Saito on it. It flies this plane a LOT better than it did the TF p-47 Tarheel Hal. I didn't weight it yet but i'll bet it flies the Yak better because it's probably at least 5 pounds lighter if not 7 pounds lighter. The first flight with the DLE was a deadstick and it glided in effortlessly. I have the throws set up just like the manual and the CG with the DLE was 6 inches back from the leading edge of the wing at the fuselage end. I didn't move the batteries so the CG with the with the Saito is going to be a littler further forward but it didn't fly like it was nose heavy. You'll be happy with the combo if you want a scale sounding and flying acro Yak.

On the ground I'm getting consistent 6300 rpm with a xoar carbon fiber 22x10 prop.

I didn't do any extra baffle work but I did open up the bottom of the cowl and I did cut open the louvers on the very bottom, left and right of the middle. After my last flight today I was about 173 Fahrenheit on the top cylinder and about 145 to 155 on the bottom two cylinders. I'm going to open up the louvers before next flight on the top left and right sides.

PS, the plane weighs about 16.5 pounds minus fuel and it uses so little fuel that I'm going to eventually get around to replacing the 32oz tank with something about 16 to 20 ounce size because at the current needle settings it burns so little fuel one club member described it as a 'green' engine, LOL.

I also switched from redline to Klotz 100 and it leaves a LOT less residue on the plane and what it does leave is not as obnoxious as the black slime and spots redline caused. Using the Klots at 20:1.

Last edited by luckymacy; 10-18-2016 at 06:46 AM.
Old 10-18-2016, 02:42 PM
slither

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Great to hear of your success, Macy! I am excited to get this beast in the air. I got my servos today, and I finished moving the firewall back, last night, except for shortening the top if the engine box. I will be interested in seeing if the overall weight changed between the older and newer versions. I think this plane is fairly well built, from the air frame perspective. I am dissapointed that I an missing one of the hardware bags - the cowl mounting stuff, including those little rubber stress-relieving washers. Additionally, it looks like the gelcoat under the paint on the cowling is getting some serious cracks in it. Not sure why that would happen when it is just sitting in a box... I think I will try to run some thin CA into the crack... sound reasonable?
Old 10-18-2016, 02:58 PM
luckymacy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by slither View Post
Great to hear of your success, Macy! I am excited to get this beast in the air. I got my servos today, and I finished moving the firewall back, last night, except for shortening the top if the engine box. I will be interested in seeing if the overall weight changed between the older and newer versions. I think this plane is fairly well built, from the air frame perspective. I am dissapointed that I an missing one of the hardware bags - the cowl mounting stuff, including those little rubber stress-relieving washers. Additionally, it looks like the gelcoat under the paint on the cowling is getting some serious cracks in it. Not sure why that would happen when it is just sitting in a box... I think I will try to run some thin CA into the crack... sound reasonable?
thin CA with some kicker so it won't run out and mess up the outside seems like a possible quick fix. I didn't get any rubber bonded washers in my hardware bag and I didn't add them yet but I probably will. not necessary to get the plane flying but I did use locktite on the cowl screws.
Old 10-24-2016, 06:15 PM
slither

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey Macy, how about some video on the scale acro Yak/FG60R3 combo... would love to see it!
Old 10-25-2016, 01:46 AM
luckymacy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by slither View Post
Hey Macy, how about some video on the scale acro Yak/FG60R3 combo... would love to see it!
I'll try to remember to do that but the weather has been bad for RC flying and the weekend forecast is more of the same. I've already got my winter build project back out and started on it again.
Old 02-24-2017, 07:51 PM
slither

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'll try to remember to do that but the weather has been bad for RC flying and the weekend forecast is more of the same. I've already got my winter build project back out and started on it again.
I guess now we'll never see it...
Old 01-09-2019, 03:21 PM
shorte

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Cant buy this yak anymore rcjetworld is out of business. I liked this plane and need another one.
Who is selling planes these days?