Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Yak 55SP by Fly-Model 50cc

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Yak 55SP by Fly-Model 50cc

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 06:57 PM
slither

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How is the new green one coming along? I just ordered one from Yong... can't hardly wait to get it. I appreciate the info iflyjr, and your willingness to take my phone call.

Guys, are the wingtips swept on these kits?
Old 12-22-2014, 07:31 PM
iflyjr
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will get your pics.

Tim
Old 12-23-2014, 09:44 AM
Checklst

Originally Posted by slither
How is the new green one coming along? I just ordered one from Yong... can't hardly wait to get it. I appreciate the info iflyjr, and your willingness to take my phone call.

Guys, are the wingtips swept on these kits?
My progress has been slow......the holidays are getting in the way....you know the wife has me doing all the xmas stuff ect............... Hear are a few picts of my progress.......The plane is not bad except for a couple of annoying things that make you say "what were they thinking"
As you can see on the elevator and the aileron they cut the slots for the arms on both sides ............not a big deal I will just make a black star to cover the slots..........their big blunder was the engine box was too long and not set up for a 50 or 60cc engine. I made some short mounts as I did not want to cut off my aluminum DLE standoffs. Carb now is inside the firewall.....no big deal but now any stock muffler or pitts you have to cut out the fire wall to fit...........only a custom canister muffler will keep you from a fire wall trim. Last the holes for the hinges
were too large.........I tried a different glue than epoxy............Gorilla glue.......I did the same old Vaseline on the hinge, but Gorilla says moisten the area with water and this moisture activates their glues drying. I use and old empty CA bottle and a long applicator to drip water in the holes.......this water shrunk the wood fiber making the oversized holes smaller......added a few drops Gorilla per hole with a vary light coat on the hinge..................I painted Vaseline around the hinge on the covering and it mad clean up vary easy as the expansion of the Gorilla glue out of the hinge hole did not stick to the covering and removed vary easily. I will use this method again because I like having extra time not rushing ahead of a 2 part mix epoxy.

Thanks guys and Have a great holiday!!!!!!!!

Old 12-27-2014, 08:09 AM
Checklst

She is getting closer finally put in a little time over the holidays and she is coming together..........still a lot of little details to do but all the major stuff is done. enjoy the picts and enjoy your holidays!!!!!!

Old 12-27-2014, 09:44 AM
iflyjr

Looking good.
Old 12-27-2014, 06:22 PM
slither

I got one yesterday... very nice looking airframe! This is a really pretty plane. Unfortunately, it has some significant shipping damage. Working through that now...
Old 01-07-2015, 05:55 PM
Checklst

Hey Guys she is all ready to go........took her to the field today but the wind came up, and was bitter cold around 30 with a nasty wind chill. A buddy of mine at the field helped me put her on the balancer and for the first time in a long time an ARF of mine was not tail heavy....go figure.....she balance out right on the money 27% of wing cord. I'll put a little lead for the first flights then take it off after trim. All my parts from my previous 50cc fit like a glove( I dumb thumb my 3 year old yak) a little problem with landing into the full sun...sun spots oh well stuff happens.
List of parts 55cc DLE(well used) CH ignition, orange 9ch with 2 satellite's(well used), Hitec 5585 MGHV all around and a Hitec 430HV non digital for the throttle, Areo tech BEC with 2 3000ma Life PO4 connected with 2 deans arming plugs(well used), Fuji tank...... a quick shout out to Valleyview for the pre drilled props and black vents, and Milehigh RC for the muffler fast service guys thanks.
Might be a week or 2 before the weather allows a first flight........I'll let you know how it go's if the weather warms up enough so my knees stop knocking and my hand don't turn blue....LOL ........hear are a few pict to enjoy

Old 01-11-2015, 09:02 PM
slither

Looks great! Hope the weather warms up soon... looking forward to your report. How does the carbon fibre spinner work for you? What brand?
Old 01-12-2015, 07:07 AM
Checklst

The spinner was the one the ARF company offered as an add on when I purchased the plane 30 dollars...............it is a nice thicker carbon fiber spinner, looks almost as thick as an aluminum .........not one of the super paper thin type. The CF spinner was longer than the aluminum one I had so I did have to get a longer M5 bolt right around 3" long.

Anybody flown one of these and got a good handle on the balance? Mine balanced at 6" off the front of the leading wing edge right where the instruction put it.............that's a little over an inch in front of the wing tube.....I have flown a couple of arf's that were not even close to the recommended spot.

Last edited by Checklst; 01-12-2015 at 07:10 AM.
Old 01-12-2015, 10:54 AM
slither

Was the spinner back-plate drilled? Did it require any work?
Old 01-12-2015, 12:52 PM
Checklst

Had to drill the back plate...........I just put the back plate on the engine slid the prop on............Pre drilled prop from Vallyview RC...... drilled just enough to mark the back plate/removed plate and hand drilled........also aligned prop an engine on compression stroke.......................I like my prop at 12 O'clock to hand start.
Old 01-15-2015, 06:46 PM
slither

When I talked with him, he said that the back plate was not drilled... no hole in the center. I take it that yours actually was center drilled and you just drilled the peripheral holes for the prop hub, no? i might have to get one... looks pretty good!
Old 01-15-2015, 07:13 PM
Checklst

Correct center hole was already drilled.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:26 AM
Checklst

Was warm today, but could not fly.........sometimes engine trouble is a blessing.........my 55cc dle would die above 1/2 throttle(vary quickly) anyway as I was dialing in the needles, the right ball link on the elevator came off and the left aileron ball link came off as well..........would have made an interesting first flight............I used the bolts and cap nuts that came with the plane and I did not like how short the bolts were on all surface. The bolts do not exit the cap nut more than a thread or 2, and its my stupid mistake for not changing them up front.

I changed out all bolts and cap nuts on the flying surfaces with longer and larger bolts. I was able to use a flat washer on the new and still get a 1/6 inch above the cap locks The larger bolt on the left fit the orgional ball link but, I had to drill a larger hole in the horns.........can't beleave I did not notice the ball link bolt was smaller than ball link hole ( dummy me) well all is fixed now.

Old 01-22-2015, 08:39 AM
iflyjr

I changed all to 4/40 myself they fit better.

Tim
Old 01-24-2015, 11:50 AM
Checklst

That's what I ended up using 4/40 the bolts were longer used washers this time and the cap locks went on much tighter..........not sure why the caps that came with the stock hardware went on so easy, thought it might be because it did not have sufficient length......but even off the plane they turned on the bolt easy.................

Waiting for good weather now she balanced level 6" off the front of the wing cord.........I added 3oz weight stick for a little nose down, looks like middle of next week we will get some better weather.........I'll let you know how it go's.
Old 01-24-2015, 01:03 PM
iflyjr

Checkst, I notice you use orange receivers. How do you like them?

Tim
Old 01-24-2015, 08:49 PM
Checklst

The one in this plane is 2 years old.........Its been in 2 other test planes(gas)........About half of my fleet 8 planes(running) are orange the other half is spectrum, been flying orange for a little over 4 years never had a problem. Only had one receiver fail, I can remember in 34 years..... a JR FM crystal . Always had good luck with electronics, my thumbs are another story all together.
Old 02-04-2015, 11:33 AM
Checklst

FIRST FLIGHT Yesterday.............CG was 6" back from wing leading edge at the fuse side.......It was level so I added a 3oz stick for just a little nose down on the balancer. It was cold 38 degrease ,little to no wind..........it went perfect !!!!!!!!!!55cc Dle only took 4 flips to start.. Take off roll out was straight lift off was vary gentle with a vary slight left bank...........only required 2 clicks aileron and one click elevator. Most uneventful first flight I had in a while. Invert flight was smooth and level with just a vary slight forward stick hold(just how I like it) not going to change a thing. . Put her through her paces in the following 2 flights and she tracked like she was on rails. The landing was smooth as silk...... I did a glide landing on the first 2 landings and she tracked in vary smooth nose just slightly down until the flair.......wish I had a video it was nice.

Third landing I came in lower and kept her on the prop with a little throttle and as soon I came off the power she settled down nicely and vary controlled..............nice plane.

Last edited by Checklst; 02-05-2015 at 03:32 PM.
Old 02-04-2015, 12:13 PM
iflyjr

Sounds great.
Old 02-05-2015, 09:01 PM
slither

Sweet! Congrats on a job well done.
Old 04-03-2015, 08:16 PM
slither

Guys, what size are the wheels that come with this plane? Also, how is it flying?
Old 04-05-2015, 05:35 AM
Stick2000

Hey guys, where's the link to order this plane? Looks like a good deal
for the price.
Old 04-05-2015, 04:09 PM
slither

Give Yong Li a holler at the following email... he will take care of you.

[email protected]

and his website

http://rcjetsworld.com/index.php/pro...sp-50cc-detail

He is a stand up guy.
Old 04-06-2015, 01:12 AM
Stick2000

Slither, thanks for the info.

Originally Posted by slither
Give Yong Li a holler at the following email... he will take care of you.

[email protected]

and his website

http://rcjetsworld.com/index.php/pro...sp-50cc-detail

He is a stand up guy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.