Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Funtana s90 Fuel Tank w/DLE20

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Funtana s90 Fuel Tank w/DLE20

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2018, 06:54 AM
Guitars415

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Funtana s90 Fuel Tank w/DLE20

So I just picked up a brand new Funtana s90 (never been opened still fresh in its packaging). I got the air frame assembled and will be installing a DLE20 on the plane. I also got an Extreme Flight Flowmaster Gas Tank 17oz. Because of the location of the throttle and choke on the DLE20 (I do plan on having the choke on a servo) I'd like to see pictures of this plane with the DLE20 and how you have your gas tank setup (in front or behind wing tube?), throttle and choke control setup. I'd also like to know if you used the included engine mounts with the DLE20 or did you have to use a different engine mount? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Old 01-23-2019, 12:28 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Sorry i have no pictures. I have time on this engine and on this air frame but not together. First thing I would say is you got way to much tank. You only need 12oz or less with the DLE20. It's going to Burn a LOT less fuel than a 1.20 glow. Also, I would never put the tank behind the CG. You are going to balance it empty. Adding weight behind the CG is going to be a problem.
As motor mounts go. I've mounted a few DLE20s on the Great Planes adjustable width mount that comes with a lot of their air frames. I've never had an issue with them lasting. When you install them however you have to cut away the center section and make them two separate beam mounts. If not the rear carb will force you to stick the engine way out and you will never get the right distance from prop washer to firewall. Speaking of firewall. You are probably going to make a hole in your firewall for the carb to fit into. No biggie really but the carb really takes a lot more room than you think. Also plan on mounting the DLE inverted even though the plane normally uses a side mount.
Finally, the first batch of Funtana's had a servo wing mount issue and many were lost. On the first batch the ply servo tray was only mounted to the spar and one rib and would flex,flutter and explode. 2nd gen kits had the tray mounted on all 4 sides.

Best wishes, David
Old 01-23-2019, 04:48 PM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Agree with Dave. 10 or 12oz tank plenty, and it goes right up against the front of the wing tube.
Old 02-01-2019, 02:00 PM
Guitars415

I've actually bought a VVRC21 and the 17oz tank is actually the size of the stock tank that's supplied with this plane. The 17oz tank fits perfectly in front of the wing tube.
Old 02-01-2019, 05:05 PM
ahicks

The Funtana was designed and built just as the small gas engines were being introduced on the market. Pretty sure the plane was originally designed for a 1.20....

You DON'T need a tank that big. You'll never use more than about half of it. Really no point in dragging the extra weight around.
Old 02-01-2019, 06:01 PM
Guitars415

Originally Posted by ahicks
The Funtana was designed and built just as the small gas engines were being introduced on the market. Pretty sure the plane was originally designed for a 1.20....

You DON'T need a tank that big. You'll never use more than about half of it. Really no point in dragging the extra weight around.
You do realize that 17oz is how big the stock tank is, right. Like, the tank thanks supplied with the plane is 17oz. The VVRC21 is 1.28in^2. The VVRC21 is a great engine for this plane. People have equipped DLE30's onto this plane. Thank you for your input.
Old 02-02-2019, 07:02 AM
daveopam

If you are going to disagree with the advice given that's your right. But you really shouldn't give attitude back and that's how your last post came across. A 17oz tank full of gas is almost a pound. A high performance plane like the Funtana needs to be light. Why carry the extra weight just cause it came with the plane? A 1.20 glow burns almost twice the amount of fuel a 20cc gas does. Unless you want to fly 25 minutes at a time you are hurting the performance of your plane.
Not trying to start a war or offend.

David
Old 02-02-2019, 07:11 AM
Guitars415

Originally Posted by daveopam
If you are going to disagree with the advice given that's your right. But you really shouldn't give attitude back and that's how your last post came across. A 17oz tank full of gas is almost a pound. A high performance plane like the Funtana needs to be light. Why carry the extra weight just cause it came with the plane? A 1.20 glow burns almost twice the amount of fuel a 20cc gas does. Unless you want to fly 25 minutes at a time you are hurting the performance of your plane.
Not trying to start a war or offend.

David
If you're offended by my post then that's pretty sad. Really. I've been flying for over 16 years. Just needed a little clarification on a few things. Through some research I found what I needed and completely forgot about this post. I'll look into getting a smaller tank. Never hurts to save weight.
Old 02-02-2019, 07:18 AM
daveopam

Not offended at all. Just realize perception is reality. I don't know you as a flyer of 16 years. I know you as a man asking for help and then scoffing at the advice given. I hope you will be a long time poster on RCU and share your wisdom as well as bounce ideas off the rest of us in the form of a question. Best of luck with your project. I've always liked the Funtana in both sizes. The look of the yellow and transparent blue is a good looking combo.

David
Old 02-02-2019, 07:24 AM
Guitars415

Originally Posted by daveopam
Not offended at all. Just realize perception is reality. I don't know you as a flyer of 16 years. I know you as a man asking for help and then scoffing at the advice given. I hope you will be a long time poster on RCU and share your wisdom as well as bounce ideas off the rest of us in the form of a question. Best of luck with your project. I've always liked the Funtana in both sizes. The look of the yellow and transparent blue is a good looking combo.

David
Thanks David. I've never had a plane of this airframe before so I needed a little advice on fuel tank placement and what not. I'll look into getting a smaller tank, as mentioned. The VVRC21 arrived last night and looks phenomenal. Hoping to get it mounted today. It's my first gasser (flew nitro for the 16 years) so never even thought about fuel efficiency between a nitro engine and a gas engine. It's good to know and that I can run smaller tanks and still get good flight time.
Old 02-02-2019, 07:42 AM
daveopam

I think you are going to love the Valley View power. They really make a great little engine and are fantastic people to deal with. I hope you have the room on the firewall to mount it inverted. It's a much cleaner installation. I switched to gas about 4 years ago. Once I ran out of nitro I didn't buy anymore. I have ran a couple of props on DLE20cc. The 18x6 Xoar is a good all around prop. I have a 20cc on a profile though and like the 16x6 Xoar on it. The throttle response is quicker with the smaller prop and for low altitude 3D type stuff it gives the profile a better feel IMHO.
When you order a smaller tank make sure you get a gas stopper. The stopper that comes with most tanks is for glow and the gas will eat it.

David
Old 02-02-2019, 07:51 AM
Guitars415

Thanks again David. Yes I dry mounted the engine last night, inverted of course. Looks great. I'll just order another smaller tank though extreme flight. All their tanks are for gas so no worries there. The prop I ordered for the VVRC21 is the Xoar 17x6. I also ordered a kill switch and a tachometer that plugs into the ignition box. So I'll see what kind of RPM's I get with the 17x6. With a kid on the way and my wife needing me to help with getting ready for that; I'm hoping I'll get everything together and get this plane in the air sometime this summer. Super excited. Still need to order servos and receiver. I'm looking at the Hitec 645MG servos.
Old 02-02-2019, 08:06 AM
daveopam

Sounds like you are well on your way. I've never tried the 17x6. I may need to. Flying the profile in close and low with the 16x6 can get old. The sound is a high pitched buzz.
"with a kid on the way" QuiQue and Chip Hyde both started flying at 5 years old. Just sayin :-) :-)

Just curios if you are going to run one battery or two? I run two in most of mine but on the profile I run one 3200mAh LiFe. It has two servo lead ends and a deans plug. I just run two switches and plug a servo lead into each one. Profiles are really tight on room and I wanted to save weight. I'll link it below if interested.

David

https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...2&I=LXHDKK&P=K
Old 02-03-2019, 05:18 AM
ahicks

17x6 it the go to prop for 20's here. Keeps enough load on the engine to keep rpm's in check for starters. Plenty of speed, awesome vertical, helps keep speed in check on down lines (to prevent critical parts from blowing off), and it will slow down to landing speeds very quickly. You can't beat this size prop for 3D. For sport planes with clean lines, like the Great Planes Revolver for instance, 16x8 prop will push 100mph......
Old 02-03-2019, 05:20 AM
Guitars415

Originally Posted by ahicks
17x6 it the go to prop for 20's here. Keeps enough load on the engine to keep rpm's in check for starters. Plenty of speed, awesome vertical, helps keep speed in check on down lines (to prevent critical parts from blowing off), and it will slow down to landing speeds very quickly. You can't beat this size prop for 3D. For sport planes with clean lines, like the Great Planes Revolver for instance, 16x8 prop will push 100mph......
Thanks for the info I've read a lot I need to keep this plane slow, as well. Next plane I build will be able to handle the speed a little better.
Old 02-03-2019, 06:59 AM
tedsander

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts

Glad to see this thread come back from the dead. Anyone have an opinion on this plane using an OS .90 2-stroke? Mine has been hanging in the garage unused for several years now, as the YS 1.20 got very problematic. I was given a NIB .90, so have been thinking about an engine transplant. Got to admit, using a 20cc gas is attractive...but so many other projects to throw $ at, and I do have this engine just sitting.....
Old 02-03-2019, 07:05 AM
ahicks

Though I've only flown it on 20 and 30cc gas, I'd say go for it if not expecting 3D type performance. A 90 here should make for great "sport" plane performance.
Old 02-03-2019, 08:48 AM
tedsander

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts

30cc? Oh jeepers, I have an Evolution 35 that is also homeless. Wonder if a 19” prop would give enough ground clearance....?
Old 02-03-2019, 05:10 PM
ahicks

I had a DLE 30 in my first one. That was fun, bet eventually you find the only time you can open that engine up is when the plane is pointed straight up. MUCH more fun to fly on 20cc's, but they weren't even out yet when the plane was released! It wasn't until about when the the plane went out of production that DLE released the first 20's.

I watched a buddy's Funtana just explode right in front of us in one of the most incredible mid air disasters I have ever seen. He was messing around making a wide open run on the level with his DLE 30 powered plane, when an aileron started to flutter. Before he could do anything about it, the aileron flutter graduated to the wing, and the entire wing started fluttering. When the second wing (the one closest to us) started fluttering, it was all over. That plane just exploded with a big WUMP. You could feel the concussion of that explosion in your chest! What didn't let go in the air at that moment turned into a lawn dart that landed with a 75' debris trail..... Spectacular! About the only thing that wasn't destroyed was the engine. -Al
Old 02-03-2019, 08:00 PM
daveopam

I flew one with a saito 1.25 and I thought it was underpowered for 3D. As said above it would make good sport plane with a .90 but you are not going to have reserve power for on the deck flying.