Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

120 Stinger/Ryobi

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2003, 09:04 PM
chogg
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 120 Stinger/Ryobi

Okay, got a 120 Stinger this week (kit version) going to run a ryobi conversion engine with the Jagengine accessories. I read where the fuse needs to be doubled in the wing area, some people are also sheeting the stab, anyone have any commments.....this is my first gas job too...
Old 09-27-2003, 09:53 PM
Bill Rademacher
My Feedback: (77)

Default RE: 120 Stinger/Ryobi

I fly a Stinger 120 with a G38. The only thing I did was to cut full length hardwood spars, instead of using the balsa, and shortened the nose by 2.5 inches. Everything else is stock.

I know other people who have sheeted the stab and fins to skip the bracing wires, and reinforced the fuselage in front and back of the wing because of hard landings cracking the fuselage. Also, they have cut circles out of the fuselage sides to lighten the plane. You will find all the weight is in the fuselage, especially with a gas motor.

I advise you to really reinforce the firewall, to hold the gas motor. I don't think the plans call for much bracing. I fiberglassed the nose on mine. Maybe overkill, but I thrash the thing, and have had no problems.

I also fiberglassed all the stress areas of the plastic turtledeck, cowl etc.

Hope this helps

Bill
Old 09-27-2003, 10:43 PM
Rambo-RCU

Hey Chogg how much total weight do you expect? I have 2 4 star 120s with Jag converted Ryobis and with smoke systems weight is about 14.5lbs.I get comments all the time on how well these planes fly, but like the Stinger i moved the firewall back 2 in.
Old 09-28-2003, 01:46 PM
atvracer
My Feedback: (17)

hi

I got one 72" with a 46cc gas I'm use wires to support the elv.and rudder I also made my elv. a lot bigger and the rear stabilizers a lot smaller and the same with the rudder mounted the servos on the tail moved the tank under the wing CG moved the cg back to 6" when it was stock it fly's nice but would not flat spin now it dose most of the 3d moves very nicely with the 46cc it hovers 1/2 stick with the 31cc power be very limited if you drill holes in your fuse and remove the core out of the wings (I should done with mine )you save about a pound there

here a link of what i'm talking about

[link=http://www.rcfaq.com/answers/modelbuilding/foamcutting.htm]http://www.rcfaq.com/answers/modelbuilding/foamcutting.htm[/link]
Old 10-02-2003, 09:18 PM
chogg

yes I expect arountd 14-15 lbs. Jag reports the ryobi can fly up to about 18 lbs I think although maybe quite slow if that heavy....
Old 10-02-2003, 10:25 PM
atvracer
My Feedback: (17)

hi there

I was flying mine this last Sunday and I was doing some blenders down to about 30ft then go into a hover on my last one I went a little to low and hit the ground all it did was but a chip in the outer wing tip, but a small crack in the fuse and broke one elv half had it fix in about 2 hours this is one tuff plane

let me know how your turns out I'm sure you will enjoy it