Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

H9 SUKHOI - Wing "FAILURE" ???

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

H9 SUKHOI - Wing "FAILURE" ???

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2003, 09:18 AM
IFLYRC-RCU
My Feedback: (28)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: H9 SUKHOI - Wing "FAILURE" ???

Thanks to ToddL..

He called and I can use his wing box to return the damaged parts.

Thanks Todd for taking the time.

I suspect they will replace the wings, but darn, how frustrating. Will have to "build up" the new wings .... and instal servos.... and redo the linkages.

And then off to the graphics place to replace the $140 decals ...

I was checking out the new 1/3 arf they have coming out, but now I am skepticle. Probably shouldn't be, but I am. I'll probably be building my next aerobat ....

So, hope to mail the wings in this week. I'll update as info becomes available.

Good Day
Old 10-13-2003, 07:35 AM
Tapio

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a big bummer when u have to send stuff back. I had a "B" brand engine before my DA 100. Had to send the ignition back, $25 bucks there and $36 back, that CDN eh!
Then warranty was required on the engine, here we go again! Came back with a $200 bill for taxes/duty so I sent it back to customs for reassessment. This is common practice by our customs agents, you send it back or pay it and wait 6 mts for your money. Then you have a 2 year warranty but its not much if you dont get to use the dam thing all summer[:@]
I was close to going ARF but then decided to kit bash and am glad I did! I used my own spar design and test a sample for strength. It might not be a bad idea to sandbag an ARF wing before risking your $$$engine. I guess it should take a simulated 10G load, so 25lbs-5lbs wings=20lbs divided 2 wings =10lbs x10G = 100lbs sand per wing!
My plane is good for +25 G's at a flying weight of 25 lbs
Old 01-28-2004, 10:46 PM
IFLYRC-RCU

Finally ... an update.

It took me FOREVER to find a large enough box to ship the wings back.. took me a long time to actually pack them.... then again, took me forever to get some time off work to ship them..

( See the trend here ? I just didn't have a lot of time to deal with this... I hate it when work interferes with my hobbies ! )

Anyway, they got the wings, inspected them.. and said they are indeed going to replace them. But, they are /have been out of stock. Oh well.. it's very cold here right now. I can wait a bit.

I am glad they are standing behind the product. Good for them ! Thanx Horizon.

Now, do I keep it, or sell it when the new wings get here... hmmmmm
Old 01-29-2004, 05:19 AM
Patriot

I know you have thought of this, but I'll ask anyway.

Why not just uncover the wing and fix it? I has plastic film covering right. You could probably fix it, recover with your grafix, and get it back in the air in a week or even less since it doesn't sound like major failure. It will take weeks or even a month or more to get a new one in the mail.
Nice thing about this is that you can reinforce the rest of the wing yourself with your own glue of choice (CA is good for general repairs, and epoxy for hard points), and you would now know that this wing will never fail again, since you did the work yourself. You could even modify it by adding some beefier sheer webbing or the like to make it even better.
Personally, I would uncovered BOTH wings, and repair/reinforce both wings the same way, then recover and redo the grafix to my taste.
The problem with getting a new wing from H9 is that the new one might end up giving you more trouble than the one you have, or maybe not. It's a real dice role. All I can say is, if the new wing fails completely, you will lose your entire model. That would of course, be a complete nightmare.
I am not sure I would trust a new wing if they tend to have a history of problems. I would bite down and fix that puppy up myself, IMO.

Patriot

I saw JohnVH's video, and it does totally rock. Sweet plane.
Old 01-29-2004, 05:29 AM
jbflier

I agree with Patriot. Take the bottom covering off and inspect everything; (shear webbing, joints, etc) I had to do this with my Sig Sukhoi early on and ended up flying it for over 3 years before selling it. The whole fix would take less than a morning and you'll be back flying that afternoon...........
Old 01-29-2004, 09:49 AM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: Patriot

I saw JohnVH's video, and it does totally rock. Sweet plane.

Thank you!! Ive got two new planes Ill be making new vids with also. Check back weekly
Old 01-29-2004, 02:19 PM
mAvRiCk-inactive

Somebody said the wings seperated form the fuse on one of these but i was wondering...isn't there no centripical force that can separate the ings form the fuse???

Dan

Sorry about what you ahve to go through and that you cant fly your plane.

See ya
Old 01-29-2004, 03:02 PM
stomper
My Feedback: (20)

ORIGINAL: mAvRiCk

Somebody said the wings seperated form the fuse on one of these but i was wondering...isn't there no centripical force that can separate the ings form the fuse???
Dan

Sorry about what you ahve to go through and that you cant fly your plane.

See ya
In a flat spin, rudder turn or a blender the froce will be pulling the wing off the tube if not attached proberly!
Old 01-29-2004, 03:12 PM
mAvRiCk-inactive

Oooo...atleast i learned something. I love my friends H9 Sukhoi but I dont want to see him nor anyone for that matter experience a problem like that here in this forum

Dan
Old 01-29-2004, 08:56 PM
IFLYRC-RCU

Well..

My whole idea of trying an ARF was due to time constraints. I am building other planes and just wanted a nice aerobat to fly quickly.

I have other planes to fly, it's just the principle. The plane should hold up to "normal" flying.

But hey, when the new wings arrive, maybe I'll open the bottom up for preflight inspection. Can do some re -gluing if needed.

Or, I may just sell it. I'll decide that when the wings arrive.

I am happy with the plane's flight envelope and it is a nice looking plane. I am also pleased H9 is standing behind their product.
Old 03-18-2007, 04:32 PM
swift bill

wow three years later and the only part still available for the h9 su31 is right wing panels. LOL I have not flown mine since our move. I think I will open the wing up before I try to fly.